Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Oil coming from External dump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil coming from External dump?

I recently noticed Oil leaving little oil staains on the pavement. Under further inspection realized that it was coming from the External wastage. Now I am nervous at what could be the culprit and ways to eliminate what it could be. I was thinking either seals in the turbo (60-1), or valve seals? Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ben.

Mods-
Semi built motor
Rods/ pistons/ cams/ valve train.
Turbonetics kit with modifications for the the charge pipes (very little shaft play)
Crawford intake

Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Could try alleviating crankcase pressure (which possibly inhibits oil return, so it leaks). Check big crankcase thread on my350. Could try thicker oil.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's very rare for the oil seals in a turbo to go bad if you have very little shaft play. That's for a journal bearing turbo, if you have a ball bearing turbo with shaft play you should be concerned, they are less tolerant of shaft play. Post pictures of your oil return setup, if it is kinked or not a straight shot then you will have oil that push past the seal even on a perfectly healthy turbo.

External wastegates should never see oil, and the valve should seal completely against the seat as to not let any exhaust out when closed. You are probably having some oil bypass under full boost and what you are seeing is oil that has coated the dump pipe during the pull.