Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Supercharging! Well, maybe...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Supercharging! Well, maybe...?

I'm on the fence and need some input. Up until recently I've only considered staying NA or swapping for an LSx. The LS swap is now out, I just can't get comfortable with dropping 14k+ in one shot and while I could do most of the work myself, it would take forever and I wouldn't want to touch the wiring which means sending out my harness and being without the car for a couple months.

So now I'm thinking maybe a supercharger is the way to go but I'm not necessarily convinced, help push me to or away from going that route.

Where I'm at right now: Current motor has oil consumption (05 6MT coupe - rev-up engine) so I'm just trying to keep it going until a replacement is ready to limit my downtime. I do have another vehicle but I like driving the G when I can. I've got a long block that came out of a 90k mile car to rebuild, it's sitting on an engine stand waiting for me to make up my mind, haven't even started disassembling for the rebuild yet. In the car I've got the MREV2 & 5/16" MD spacer combo, z-tube, rev-up airbox, aluminum 1 piece drive shaft and MD Gamma single 3" exhaust. Not yet in the car (waiting until it's time to install the new engine) are PPE long tube headers. The PPEs are the reason I won't go turbo, I need them in my life.

Since I need to rebuild an engine I figure I may as well go bigger and better than stock. Originally I was going to stay NA and go 11:1 CR, C9 cams, port & polish heads, bore the block .020 over if needed (budgeting as if it's going to be needed, won't know until it's inspected), 09+ Maxima throttle body and larger intake tube off a modified 350Z airbox and tuned with Osiris to keep it all in check and push the redline as far to the right as possible, I don't think 8-8.5k is unreasonable. At this point I probably wouldn't be far from maxing out the stock injectors and would add them to the to-do list, along with a new/upgraded pump (Walbro 255 most likely).

If I were to go with a supercharger I believe all of the above is still good with the obvious exception of the compression ratio. I would probably aim for 9-9.5:1 on the rebuild. If I could get a decent deal on a pre-owned supercharger and rebuild it I would assume a much larger bang for the buck, overall, than staying NA.

So that's pretty much my thought process. I guess where I'm struggling is just deciding what makes the most sense. Keep it NA with the higher compression ratio and get very little power per dollar at the end of the day, or rebuild at a lower CR and spend a few thousand more for a good bit more power.

With the above build what do you all think I would end up with in terms of wheel horse power if I went with a supercharger (assuming Vortech, not a stillen or procharge fan) running the 2.87 pulley? I've seen so many variations that I can't guess, maybe having a better idea of the end result would help sway me one way or the other.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
With all due respect...why are you asking if you should go forced induction in the forced induction forum??? You don't want to invest 14k on an LS swap but I think when its all said and done with your supercharger build you're gonna be somewhere in that neighborhood cost wise (don't buy a bunch of used parts and try and make it work). Figure out a realistic budget for yourself and then give yourself some room for unexpected expenses/repairs. Also if you are really going to rebuild a motor for boost don't forget the connecting rods they are prone to failure at around 400whp. Don't waste your money on head work unless you're planning to go for big power. The VQ heads flow just fine. There is still other parts that you haven't considered (like your clutch).

Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 PM
14k is doable if it's done over time. It's the one single check for a swap that I can't wrap my head around.

I'd be using a Z1 rebuild kit with upgraded (non-eagle) rods for either direction.

Clutch is kind of a given any time you install a new manual transmission engine. Oil cooler, as well, there are a hundred smaller items to add with either direction.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well it sounds like you've done your share of research. Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I think the best thing to do is go for a ride in a boosted G and one that has had the LS swap and see which one you like best!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Nah I didn't take it wrong. I think I'm just looking for someone to tell me not to, but I realize that won't happen here. Of course if I really wanted to be talked out of it I probably would have asked the wife so I guess that tells me something too.

So ballpark guess - with the above build planned what type of numbers do you think I'd end up with? I just don't have enough experience to really take a guess, and maybe having a number to aim at would help me pull the trigger.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
You want the common con argument? Buy a faster car that responds to mods better, or buy a bike if you want to go fast.

But if you want to get some decent power out of your G, I would go with a vortech build over a swap personally.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 AM
That's where I'm at now too. I'd love to swap it.. I just don't want to deal with the *** pain of getting there. Having the car down for 3-4 months is uncool lol. I'll probably have at least 3-4 weeks of downtime if I can time the engine build completion and vortech purchase right but I can think I can live with that.