Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

DIY Turbo kit - What are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
DIY Turbo kit - What are your thoughts?

Hi there guys. So after doing a fair amount of research over the past months, i am now considering building up a turbo kit for my 350gt.

I know, i know. Dont do it, cheap, blow up blah blah. I have my flame suit ready :P as i know i may well need it.

So, here is what i was thinking. I am from New Zealand (you know Australia? keep going, its past there). Over here in NZ we are lucky enough to have the JDM market of cars at our fingertips.
In this case it includes Skylines and Stageas that have the VQ30det and VQ25det engines.

What i am 'thinking' about is using the factory turbo manifold off of a VQ30DET engine as they are a direct bolt up to the VQ35. From there they have a T3 outlet so the turbo options arent a problem. Turbos over here are also easy to pick up at a reasonable price.

The second step to this is what to do about the rest of the kit?

I have already talked to some of the guys on the SAU forum and you cannot use the standard VQ30DET piping etc as it does not fit.

Do you think it would be feasible to use a (dear i say it) GodSpeed turbo kit and simply sell the turbo and the waste gate? Then use the rest of the kit? As this will save me a fair amount of money on fabrication.

I have read online a lot of views against the kits. This im sure is granted for a fair reason. However, almost all of the comments are about the turbo in the kit itself. The thing i do not require and will simply sell off.

Here are some pictures for reference for you all:

VQ30DET MANIFOLD & TURBO

I already have the turbo and manifold from image 2 (70xxx kms). However i will not be using the turbo as it is too small for the vq35. The manifold will be blasted and painted.

Name:  Usethis_zpsa6d60241.jpg
Views: 2441
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  usethis3_zps5916a1ba.jpg
Views: 2417
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  usethis1_zpsd00c0d79.jpg
Views: 2480
Size:  42.0 KB

What i believe i need for this kit:

- AM Turbo (GT3076)
- Fuel pump (Walbro 255)
- Bigger injectors (r32 gtr injectors 560cc)
- Wastegate (50-60mm)
- Oil pan spacer
- Tune from NZ EFI here in Christchurch

Whats in the godspeed kit i need:

- Intercooler
- Piping + couplings
- Braided oil feed & return lines
- Hoses
- All hardware for the install

Side notes from SAU:

- Would benefit from a larger radiator
- Possibly colder spark plugs
- Catch can setup

I know this is obviously not the ideal direction for most of you when it comes to adding a FI system to your car. However, im not prepared to pay $7000+ for a turbo kit when i have the chance to make a system with genuine Nissan parts at my finger tips.

Any help would be much appreciated. Like i said above, flame suit on so feel free to rip away.

Andy.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The right way to do a DIU kit would be to design and fabricate everything you need. That is totally possible if you are knowable enough and have the necessary equipment. To try and do it without those assets and mismatched parts could prove to be a major headache. For 99.9% the least expensive and most productive route would be to buy a proven kit. On the other hand trying it will at least provide an excellent education.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the reply GaryEvans. I completely agree. That would be the best way for me to do the conversion. However sadly i do not have a welder currently, nor the time to fabricate it myself at this stage.

I realise there will be plenty of time involved with changing things even if i was to use one of the premade kits like the GodSpeed one.
I know this kit isnt going to produce 500hp, nor do i expect it to. I am aiming for a timid 350 whp.

With the availability of the VQ30det engines, the fact i am RHD and the parts are bolt up i think i would be a fool not to take advantage of the opportunity. It may also help others in Australia who have access to these motors too.

This is a very rough estimate but this is what i came up with so far WITHOUT the GodSpeed kit:

VQ30det manifold - $50
Aftermarket GT3076 TURBO + Wastegate - $700
Intercooler & Piping - $400
Hoses/Fittings - $?
GTR Injectors - $300
Deatschwerks fuel pump - $155
Oil pan spacer - $180
Oil feed lines/Return lines - $125
Catch can setup - $80
Sparkplugs - $80
AM Radiator - $200
B.O.V - $50

Approx. total before tune = $2,320 NZD ($1936 USD)

NZEFI Tune - $800

Approx. total cost = $3120NZD ($2603 USD)

So $3120 for a kit including tuning is reasonably cheap i would have thought. Considering i will know what each of the parts are rather than an eBay kit that is straight from China relabled.

Obviously this is just a rough estimate as i will more than likely need fabricated parts to make this work.

Cheers,
Andy

Old 01-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
Do not use any Godspeed parts. If you could find anyone willing to ship it to you I would do that. But since that's probably not going to happen,I se either greddy, turbonetics, or Garrett for your turbo. You said you would use a gt3076 which is a Garrett so goods get 550 injectors not gtr ones, and the stock pump is usually pretty good. But I have a custom setup with 2 more injectors on the. Plenum. Also you will need a plenum spacer in my mind. Not necessary but I think so. You don't need an oil pan spacer, I will check on mine I don't think I did one. And you won't need to do a new radiator. Now the oil pan spacer and intercooler are good because heat is the enemy to a turbo. Also you need heat wrap and a lot off it. I would also do a custom exhaust kit.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Thats what im talking about. Cheers guitarrocker98. Much appreciated.

You wrote:

Originally Posted by guitarrocker98
get 550 injectors not gtr ones, and the stock pump is usually pretty good.
Sweet, they are easy enough to get my hands on. I have heard mixed opinions about the pump so i think i may change it as a precaution. That is good to know though.

Also you will need a plenum spacer in my mind. Not necessary but I think so.
Really? Why is that? Thats not a hassle, i was looking at getting the Blox spacer recently until reading up on the difference between theirs and the Motordyne one performance wise.

You don't need an oil pan spacer, I will check on mine I don't think I did one.
Thats the same response i got from the Aussie guys. However i am getting one with the oil feed already tapped into it. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Oil-Pan-...712300&vxp=mtr

And you won't need to do a new radiator. Now the oil pan spacer and intercooler are good because heat is the enemy to a turbo. Also you need heat wrap and a lot off it. I would also do a custom exhaust kit.
Sweet. Again, that is good to know. Yeah i read that the extra cooling helps a lot with the G's. Not a problem, i still have about 50ft worth of heatwrap here from working on a mates car.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 PM
The reason why I have a spacer, is for more air. That's all.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 AM
I see. Sweet, i think i will get one anyway as i intended on getting one anyway and its good to see they are a cheap mod that actually does something in the lower rpm.

With a turbo setup do you think the bigger spacer would be better?

Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The spacer will help when the turbo isn't spooled, but isn't really doing anything once the air is being forced into the plenum.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:33 AM
I say get the biggest spacer you can. They work. Just do your research. There are many threads FILLED with info. I understand that the 350gt had a slightly different motor setup than the G35 being from different countries and all, but great info in here.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I am thinking of mounting the turbo in a forward position as it looks like the room is going to be VERY limited in the stock position.

I will look at getting the Manifold extended like this one: (not as high but further forward)

Name:  20130331_123608_zps198a63ed.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  445.1 KB

More like the positioning of this setup:

Name:  DSCN1360_zpsefdda387.jpg
Views: 2123
Size:  119.7 KB

And then plumb the waste gate back into the exhaust like this:

Name:  20130401_233257_zpsfcc8e77e.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  119.8 KB

Would there be any benefit in using 3inch IC piping instead of 2.5? as it looks like most of the Bolt up kits use 2.5 for convenience...

Cheers guys,
Andy

Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Andy I like what you are doing here. Good luck with your journey through this!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Why?

It will end up costing you more, more difficult and will not work/look as good if you just buy a used kit off someone. I am sure you can find someone willing to ship it to you.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Andy I like what you are doing here. Good luck with your journey through this!
Cheers mate much appreciated.

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Why?

It will end up costing you more, more difficult and will not work/look as good if you just buy a used kit off someone. I am sure you can find someone willing to ship it to you.
Wow. I know you are a long standing member and all but... what type of attitude is that?

1. It will end up costing you more.
No, no it definitely will not cost me anywhere near as much as you pay for a branded F/I kit.

2. More difficult.
Yes, i would almost guarantee it will be. However if you dont want to get your hands dirty with a car then why modify it? it is one of the things that come with it. It is a D.I.Y after all.

3. Will not look as good.
Huh? How is this going to look any worse than the F/I kits available on the market? Example: The kits use adaptors for manifolds. I am going to be using a factory Nissan turbo manifold?

4. Shipping to New Zealand for a turbo package.
I have enquired about this and it is not worth the hassle + cost. I would have to get the packages sent to the NZ Post in the US then forwarded to me from there. Shipping cost and customs tax is a no go.

5. Your kits are designed for LHD vehicles. Our vehicles are RHD and will need changes anyway. Why not make a kit from scratch so you know what your kit is, how it was built and what to do if there are changes to be made?

If this kit is a success, it will allow others in Aus/NZ to get an idea of what can be achieved with what we have access to.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:20 AM
He wasn't really coming at you with a tude, at least I didn't read it. As for turbo placement that's there mine is. Also, the kits are different for American models and yours. You might look at a kit from japan.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 PM
He wasn't really coming at you with a tude, at least I didn't read it. As for turbo placement that's there mine is. Also, the kits are different for American models and yours. You might look at a kit from japan.
Haha nah i didn't think he was giving me attitude, i was just surprised at the defeated and "why bother" attitude is all

Yeah, sadly your kits require changes. Kits from Japan are more than accessible BUT they are very expensive. The reason why i plan on making this kit is to avoid having to pay the massive cost that comes with F/I a VQ35.

I have had a SR20DE +T S15 Silvia and helped work on plenty of SR20DET's in the past. The complete +T kits for those and the 2JZ over here in NZ cost around $1000 total. Hence why the 8k seems outrageous to me.

Last edited by andy_cliff; 01-26-2014 at 04:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Turbo kit - What are your thoughts?