Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Meth vs. Nitrous on a Turbo build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
Meth vs. Nitrous on a Turbo build

Hello all. Some of you know My build, some of you dont. I have a fully built motor, with a custom turbonetics turbo kit. It was making mid to upper 500hp before I started a Massive build on it. Well now I have changed a few things on the car, and I am hoping to bump it up to the low to high 600's... I started thinking of doing a methanol line or a nitrous line... I have an unsleeved engine... But I dont think it will make a huge difference since I will be getting hp from one of the two and not just from straight Boost. But which one should I look more into. I kind of like the methanol idea, because its a constant source, but I have seen the gains from nos... Just wondering on ideas or pointers. Thanks

Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 PM
bump

I am beginning to lean towards methanol injection

Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
I don't know much- but if it were me meth would be my goto since it has a number of advantageous qualities in terms of cooling and cost.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:04 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarrocker98
Hello all. Some of you know My build, some of you dont. I have a fully built motor, with a custom turbonetics turbo kit. It was making mid to upper 500hp before I started a Massive build on it. Well now I have changed a few things on the car, and I am hoping to bump it up to the low to high 600's... I started thinking of doing a methanol line or a nitrous line... I have an unsleeved engine... But I dont think it will make a huge difference since I will be getting hp from one of the two and not just from straight Boost. But which one should I look more into. I kind of like the methanol idea, because its a constant source, but I have seen the gains from nos... Just wondering on ideas or pointers. Thanks
At the end of the day you're limited to the size of your turbo. You can change timing and increase boost with meth injection but are you already maxing out your current turbo?
Upper 500s suggests what a gt35 or gt40 turbo if using a Garrett.
The meth should help a bit if you are not maxing that turbo.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
water meth is most cost effective and you can also make your own mix of fuel or buy(im not quite sure of the process so dont ask me lol)
also, it is a lot more adjustable then nitrous. put a nozzle in the inlet of the turbo to cool the compressor housing for denser air, one on the inlet of the i/c and one or six after the throttle plate.. that will give you tons of cooler, denser air and enrich the mixture...
since it cools your air/fuel mixture you are less likely to have a ton of predetonation as oppose to nitrous which basically heats everything up as it burns
of course you can set both of them for boost activated or remotely...
sooo IMO for a turbo engine its better to run water meth

Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Very few members here have ever run methanol, but it is a pretty easy and straight forward mod. I ran nitrous on my second G35 for about a year with great results. Unlike what Dr. Bora said, nitrous is very adjustable. Gone are the days of swapping nozzle sizes and shot size. Now systems are computer controlled and monitor air/fuel ratios for you and adjust spray and fuel injectors accordingly. Also pre ignition isnt an issue any more. Richer A/F ratios actually combat knock by combustion cooling effect. Also most any boosted car will have a map selector and ability to tune for slightly retarded timing if needed.

Both methods are completely safe if done correctly. Nitrous of course will provide much more hp/torque gain over methanol, but also costs more.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Im leaning towards the meth... It will help steam clean the motor, and give me power. Im hoping to be bumped up to 600-650hp when all is said and done... I may need a new turbo though... Dunno we will see.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meth Injection verses Nitrous do such different things this shouldn't really be an either/or discussion. Do you want another power adder, or do you want the ability to safely run more boost with a given fuel?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wes kiser
Meth Injection verses Nitrous do such different things this shouldn't really be an either/or discussion. Do you want another power adder, or do you want the ability to safely run more boost with a given fuel?
some people use NOS to cool the exterior of an intercooler...

personally Ive had IATs drop an additional 10* F with water/alky injection after my air/water intercooler...
i didnt tune for the alky as i only used enough to keep the water from freezing and if it ran a little rich (less than .25) i considered it cheap insurance from running a little lean