Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

1 Spark plug away from a tune.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Spark plug away from a tune.......

So, about a year ago, I started a thread about my Vortech sedan being close to getting tuned. However, since then, life again, popped up so it went on the backburner for a year.

In the last 2 weeks, I finally got my gauges wired up, sent the DW 600cc injectors out for cleaning and testing, installed them and was finishing up the spark plug installation. On the final one (Cyl #6) I was able to crack the ceramic on the OEM plug. After fishing out some of the ceramic and removing the old plug, another piece fell into the actual cylinder. So, I got it towed this past Thursday to Project Import to have them remove the dropped ceramic, and then to finally get it tuned via UpRev.

Got a call back, they told me that they were able to remove the ceramic, but found some fine metal pieces within the cylinder. After some discussion, I was laid with 2 options:

1. crank it, and hope the high pressure blows out the particles to the low pressure areas, or

2. spend roughly $1800 to remove head, clean everything out and reassemble.

In both scenarios, they obviously aren't able to guarantee that any metal would have fallen between the piston and cylinder. So....I decided to have them go with Option #1 and hope for the best. If its worse case scenario, I'll need to replace the block. I figured I'd rather use the $1800 to a built short block, than to simply clean out some shrapnel. Probably not a good idea, but oh well.

Wish me luck, I should have some more updates early next week.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:01 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
They can't insert a soft, flexible hose attached to a vacuum to insert and minimize the risk? Then hand turn the crankshaft so that particular piston goes down (and continue vacuuming) to remove most doubt?

Good luck, man. Hope it works out.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:34 AM
I was told that's the plan, however he had to quote a worse case scenario to ensure I have all scenarios/precautions/etc laid out. I do have a lot of faith in them, as I came across their shop from a trusted friend with a high HP/fully built T-Trim. Moreover, the way they've updated me has been very reassuring thus far.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:20 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
What a **** situation. Haha.

I truly hope it works out, man. I hate that worrying stage. As long as these guys know what they're doing tho, I'm sure they'll do all they can to prevent any unnecessary damage. I think you're making the right choice.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (05-02-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
What a **** situation. Haha.

I truly hope it works out, man. I hate that worrying stage. As long as these guys know what they're doing tho, I'm sure they'll do all they can to prevent any unnecessary damage. I think you're making the right choice.
Time for an update:

They were able to vacuum out, and also crank the engine to blow out the debris. While they were there, I asked them to double check my wrench work, since before my G35, I've never done any sort of wrenching on my cars. Good thing, as they found a few vacuum leaks that I would've missed had I just went straight to tuning. They also put new clutch fluid in since, well it was time, haha.

Now base tune is being put onto the car, then at 4pm today I have an appointment at Church's for tuning

Side note: Project Import is a legit shop. Very pleased with their work