Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Blower or a turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:44 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Blower or a turbo?

No this is not one of those threads again.
This one is different.

I thought about it long and hard, made a decision and now need you to validate it or tell me that I'm wrong.

I'm after usable horse power. As close to 500 as I can get while keeping the car as reliable as death and taxes.

So the new built motor goes in this summer. Mine has over 200k on it already, don't want to build it as it will probably cost same as buying already built one and defiantly not blowing it as is.

They question I had is should I put a blower on it, or a turbo.
So here is my logic behind it.

So here is why I'm thinking to go with a blower over turbo.
I have HIflow cats and a cat back exhaust. I believe that I will have to lose the cats if I go turbo. I don't want to do that.
Also I'll have to deal with heat and allow of plumbing.
Blower is much more maintenance due to more moving parts, and I'm not that happy about the noise, but it will allow me to keep my cats and exhaust untouched. Just less modifications to deal with.

I want it to be a nice 480-500hp grand touring G. So reliability is a number one concern.
I want to take it up to Pikes Peak again and this time have allot more fun uphill than I did last time.

What ya'll think of my plan?

Old 02-20-2016, 03:06 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
A supercharger would be a good choice due to their lower cost and simplicity. They will also offer a more predictable drivability.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Blower or a turbo?

turbo's are great if you need to turn up the boost and get into some serious hp, but it requires a whole lot of work. If you plan on staying around 450 hp I'd go with a blower. much less of a headache compared to turbos. what is your budget for this build? cause if you're getting up there in price an ls1 out of a wrecked car might be something to consider

Old 02-20-2016, 03:07 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Mignav01
turbo's are great if you need to turn up the boost and get into some serious hp, but it requires a whole lot of work. If you plan on staying around 450 hp I'd go with a blower. much less of a headache compared to turbos. what is your budget for this build? cause if you're getting up there in price an ls1 out of a wrecked car might be something to consider
I want the car to remain street legal, id be easier to do with built vq and a blower. Plus I don't have to deal with making all of the electronics to work

I think I can get it done in 10k

Old 02-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Blower or a turbo?

The simple and probably easiest option would be throwing a blower on it in that case. are engine swaps illegal where you live?

Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Mignav01
The simple and probably easiest option would be throwing a blower on it in that case. are engine swaps illegal where you live?
it's not illegal, it's complicated.

I don't want to purchase parts I don't have to, such as cats or test pipes, new exhaust and on top of that deal with making sure that LS data is properly displayed on the infiniti gauges.

Much easier to just put a built vq in since the cost will probably be the same.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:16 PM
Blower or a turbo?

That's true but you'll be NA with an ls, with a much more favorable power band

Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
not an option, I like VQ sound.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Great including FI to a newly built motor rather than one with high mileage, but you already knew that! In your shoes I go with a super charger after you've put a few miles on the new engine...Gary

Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by gary c
Great including FI to a newly built motor rather than one with high mileage, but you already knew that! In your shoes I go with a super charger after you've put a few miles on the new engine...Gary
how many miles on your car Gary?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...nor-cal-2.html

One thing I know is a LOT of guys end up going turbo after they give vortech a shot...

This is a great looking kit for a good price.

I contemplated a blower for a long time, I'm very happy with my decision to go TT. It isn't all that complicated and is much cooler in my opinion.

With a build block already, you just need fuel to get into the 500 range...

What I would do:
A return fuel system, upgrade the fuel feed line just in case.
Uprev GT MAF
Oil cooler
Radiator
Delete the small coolant lines and OEM oil cooler
750-1000CC injectors
Go to a reputable tuner
But wait... You have an auto, no? Uh oh....

Old 02-21-2016, 01:07 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by yosip1115
http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...nor-cal-2.html

One thing I know is a LOT of guys end up going turbo after they give vortech a shot...

This is a great looking kit for a good price.

I contemplated a blower for a long time, I'm very happy with my decision to go TT. It isn't all that complicated and is much cooler in my opinion.

With a build block already, you just need fuel to get into the 500 range...

What I would do:
A return fuel system, upgrade the fuel feed line just in case.
Uprev GT MAF
Oil cooler
Radiator
Delete the small coolant lines and OEM oil cooler
750-1000CC injectors
Go to a reputable tuner
But wait... You have an auto, no? Uh oh....
I do have an auto, that's not a concern. I'll upgrade clutch packs and it should be fine.
I'm not looking to be the fastest G. I just want a reliable power. Something I don't have to worry about when I take a G on long trips. That is why I don't want to push anything to the limit, I want to stay well within the limits. I know power could be addictive and that is why most who go with blower end up going with TT after. IMO sub 500 is a very usable power and will satisfy me for years to come.

how long have you been TT?
Stock internals?

Last edited by JOKER; 02-21-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
how many miles on your car Gary?
Just a touch over 61K miles on SLICK!
Gary

Old 02-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
I do have an auto, that's not a concern. I'll upgrade clutch packs and it should be fine.
I'm not looking to be the fastest G. I just want a reliable power. Something I don't have to worry about when I take a G on long trips. That is why I don't want to push anything to the limit, I want to stay well within the limits. I know power could be addictive and that is why most who go with blower end up going with TT after. IMO sub 500 is a very usable power and will satisfy me for years to come.

how long have you been TT?
Stock internals?
It may be overkill to run that built block that you have. My car is crazy fast and I'm on stock internals. It breaks loose in 4th gear so I'm upgrading to 285 tires. I have been TT'd for about six thousand miles and my long block has 36000 miles on it now.

If you skip running the built block and stay under 500 horsepower you won't have to build your transmission; at least not right away. The idea of running an automatic with that kind of power makes me a bit uncomfortable. I wish I was close by to show you how good 450whp feels... It definitely will save you some cash to stay within the realm that stock internals can handle.

To hit 500 with a blower you'll need a SI trim impeller and a 3.12 pulley I believe. That's best, as opposed to a SCI trim with a 2.87 pulley which is prone to belt slip and other problems. From what I've read people just get bored of the way the power comes on with a SC. Regardless you're going to want a RFS. The innovate SCG-1 is a great all in one boost controller/wideband to make it easy on your wallet. Selling the built block for a low mileage VQ is something to consider.

Last edited by yosip1115; 02-21-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
I have a very good reason why I chose turbo over supercharger. The reason is my brother supercharged his 06 6MT, so I HAD to go TT. If this doesn't make sense, then you need Jesus.

Now to be more realistic, I did tons and tons of reading before I pulled the trigger on the TT. I did notice many people switch from Vortech to turbo or TT after a while. I found the supercharger to be "okay" and nothing too exciting on my brother's car, it put down 411whp and 330wtq on a very conservative tune.

One thing to keep in mind is superchargers is you get all your power through spinning the blower, the faster you spin the more power you have. However, with this being a daily car how often are you going to be spinning the motor that high? Also how long will you remaining in the high RPM range to have full boost?

If you plan on buying brand new parts the TT will cost you way more than 10k. There are always great deals out there that all it requires is some regular maintenance and you're golden. My 2004 G coupe was boosted for around 6k with a Greddy TT kit, Greddy HUGE assss intercooler, Mopac oil cooler, 660CC injectors, CJM fuel return, Walbro fuel pump, UpRev MAF, Greddy profec B specs II boost controller, AEM boost gauge, AEM AFR gauge. Nice thing about Greddy's kit is you can run stock down pipes or in your case HFCs. On mine I had Motordyne ART and TDX exhaust, so thank god I was able to run the same setup.

Do you have aftermarket exhaust? If so be prepared for it to be loud as hell if you decide to go with Vortech, however with a TT or even single T kit it will be a lot more quite, I was shocked when I heard my TDX and ART pipes on the TT setup.

With this being a daily and driven around the city, you really want to look into torque more than horsepower. My brother's G did put down 411whp and 330wtq on 94 octane. Mine did 415whp and 402wtq on pretty much same boost level. However I did play with the tune a bit more and my last run end up being 461whp and 445wtq. For around town, its plenty fun.

Look at the dyno graph between TT and Vortech, you will see the TT will have MUCH more power and torque at the lower RPM range, I know people talk about turbo lag but running two fairly small turbos do spool pretty damn quick. In my G I have full boost at 3800rpm however a Vortech reaches full boost at its highest RPM mark.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy. For me high torque numbers at low RPMs did, thats why I decided to go with twin turbo.

Last edited by SAMzG35; 02-21-2016 at 05:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blower or a turbo?