The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The VQ35 engine has a KNOWN oil burning problem. Its true both Infiniti and Nissan don't really want to admit it, but they know of the problem. What's the exact cause or who to blame is all subjective. My 03 coupe, which I keep in pretty much tip-top shape when it comes to timely oil changes and whatnot, at 20K miles spun a main bearing. The cause improper oil circulation due to basically low oil. Where did the oil go? Eaten up by the VQ monster! The technicians whom worked on my car pulled me aside and said "off the record" it wasnt the first one they had seen at the time my car was in. A week later, I recieved my G with a brand new short block (oil pan to heads). Infiniti also took up the tab for the towing and durring the week I was without my car, I had the pleasure of driving around an FX35 for two days and G sedan for the remaing part of the week. I was happy, and even though my car looked like it was straight out of the fast n furious, they never once acused me like it was something I had done to the car. For those wondering, this was at Competition Infiniti on Long Island.

What's going on lately from what I've heard in the industry is that more and more people are having this problem, and this obvioulsy is a bit more costly warranty claim than you rtypical "my windows dont roll up", so some dealerships are looking for ways out. Now you're probably saying, why would they look for a way out? They get paid for the job anways. Well thats a yes and no answer. Yes they get paid, but not anywhere near off wrranty work. Simple put, they make anywhere from 50% to upwards and over 75% MORE when its off warranty, because Infiniti (like any manufacturer) sets limits to the time allowed on each job and what they can collect in terms of pay. When its off warranty, time is on their side and they can legally charge you more (usually the posted shop rate).

Now with such a problem as an engine going bad and in need of replacement, that takes quite a bit of time and $PACE ($ being the key symbol here)! Space the dealership could be using for other jobs, but they cant, so that hurts them. In the time it takes to do one engine swap, they can possibly take care of 3-6 cars with minor warranty work, and bank more $$$.

It's all about the mighty $$$! NOTHING ELSE! If they're asking you for maintence receipts, or records, or saying your air intake is to blame, that's their way of saying - screw you, we want your money or at least that's their way of saying lets take the high $$$ route first, then if he doesnt go for it, maybe we can warranty it...

So what advice can I give anyone looking for such a repair or anything to do with warranty work, foremost the service manager should be your BEST FRIEND! Treat him as he's your hero! Specially if you plan on modding your car!!! He ultimaley makes the final call on most any major warranty job. On your next oil change, buy the guys some lunch. Thank them for their hard work. The little $$$ you spend now may come back to reward you ten fold later on down the road. Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying to kiss the ground the guy walks on, but throw him a thumbs up and mean it. Send his boss a letter saying thanks. Write to Infiniti saying how well they treated you. When the time comes and you need them to help you out with something small or big, I'm sure they'll step in and NOT give you the run around.

Just my 2 cents, and having once worked for BMW as a certified diagnostic tech, I saw similar stuff happen every day!

The following 2 users liked this post by ducatiguy:
Justice06RR (07-16-2015), Ronbowman49 (07-31-2019)
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Do I hear "Class Action Suit"?

Old 08-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smells strongly of a class action to me.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Wow... And I'm collecting my 2003 Skyline 350GT coupe soon (Ie Infiniti G35 coupe). Hopefully, if the problem existed, by now it would have been fixed... As those cars are grey imports in Australia, dont think many dealers will know much about it. I'll sure will becoming back to this post to ask of help if anything arises...

Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 AM
D87
You guys wonder if this is one of the issues that they looked at when they came up with the "next gen VQ" engine in the upcoming G-sedan? Maybe that's why they claim it's 80% revised (or something like that)?

Another reason to wait for the next sedan and coupe - but then of course something else might be an issue...

Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by absolutg
if you're worried about MREV, just take it off before going to the dealer
With a warrantee item this serious, TAKE OFF THE M-REV! Don't give the bastards ANY excuse to wus out on the deal.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by safil
I'm a mechanic, I change the oil myself....
I get mine change at a "quick lube" and I put all the sales slips in my "documents" pouch that came with the car.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Is this something that can be spotted in the first couple thousand miles, or does it take time?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow ... this thread somewhat surprised me.

I'm looking to purchase a 2006 G35 soon and have started researching them. I didn't figure this car would have an oil consumption issue, and if so in the early models I would have thought Infinity would have the problem resolved by now.

How about the guys with 2006 models ... is your engine using lots of oil ??

This reminds me of first year Z06 Vettes which had a piston ring issue ... they would burn a qt of oil every 800 to 1000 miles. Fix was redesigned rings ... not too hard for the factory to fix IMO so it's hard to believe that Infinity would let this issue continue.

Last edited by SuperGee; 08-08-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 PM
My personal opinion of this is, "it's the break-in" stupid. I drove mine like I stole it from day one, mine uses NO oil AT ALL. I went synthetic at 10K and I change it every 7500 mi. There is virtually no oil loss in that time. I have 35K on it now and it runs stronger than ever.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
My personal opinion of this is, "it's the break-in" stupid. I drove mine like I stole it from day one, mine uses NO oil AT ALL. I went synthetic at 10K and I change it every 7500 mi. There is virtually no oil loss in that time. I have 35K on it now and it runs stronger than ever.
I'd agree that the way it's broken in could have a bearing on the oil consumption issue, but I couldn't see it make the difference between using virtually no oil vs. a quart every 1000 miles. If these engines are so sensitive to break-in then Nissan/Infinity should change the break-in procedure.

Check out this thread for instance. Obviously, the 350Z guys are seeing the same thing.
http://www2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=153952

http://www2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=151635

Last edited by SuperGee; 08-08-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
You know, it's funny that if it's ring problems, you will see it when you let off the gas. That's when you create a "suction" in the combustion chamber and suck up the oil that is on the cylinder walls and valve guides. Nobody has said anything about this.

How much of this oil is being pulled into the intake? Most VQ's you take apart have a bit of crank case oil in them.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I need help bad!!! Just got off the phone with service rep and they said they won't cover the repairs!!! I'm going crazy now. My dad says I should get a lawyer and sue! But, I know its gonna take a few months to resolve. Should I dish out the money to repair it while I get a lawyer after them?
I want my car back a.s.a.p. Also, do I get it done at the dealer or my other mechanic? They say I need a whole new engine but, I don't think so. They just turned it on, heard the noise and said I need a new engine. I'm pretty sure its either the head/heads or the short block, not both. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! And, if anyone else this has happened to, please post up and let me know. I goona need to show that this is an ongoing problem. Thanks!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 PM
You need to talk to a lawyer before doing anything. That's what they are for, to give advise. They will give you your options of what you want to do. If you need your car fixed, he will point you to a mechanic or you may tell him you will go to one, and bring back the receipt. This way if it does go to trial, and the case is won on your behalf, it will all be paid back.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I get mine change at a "quick lube" .....

The thought of that makes me cringe....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!