Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black on black 2005 G35 Coupe - 57K Original Miles
Smile My 2005 G35 Build

Hello!

About Me:
This is my first post to G35driver, I've been lurking for a while, and after learning as much as I could, i decided it's time for me to make my first post and my build page. This thread is mostly for myself, but I thought I would share my experience here and maybe a few people will get a kick out of it. This is my first car, and I am a highschool student who is taking advantage of a program that lets me go into college my junior and senior year, so money will be a bit tight on this build. To make it even better, I am still paying off the car.

My G35
Here is a bit of background information - I bought my G35 out of California in August of 2019. It is a 2005 6mt (rev-up.) It had 49,000 original miles, and now we are somewhere in the mark of 57,000-58,000.
A few months after owning the car, my slave cylinder failed and warped my flywheel. Due to a lack of time, I paid a local shop to install an Exedy clutch and flywheel. That, as of right now, is the only aftermarket part on my car.
In March, I got new fronts and rears. I shredded my rears to the wires drifting, had a hole in one front, and a bubble in my sidewall in the other front. SO that was all replaced.

N/A, FI, Swap, NOS?!
I spent quite a while deciding which route I want to go. Forced induction kits are way out of my price range, which is very unfortunate. Greddy, STS, and AAM all showed off amazing kits, but i don't have 5-8 grand i can waste. And as much as I love feeling boost, the turbonetics kit is a waste of time and money, and i don't own a Honda, so obviously i ruled out eBay kits. I do have to say though, there is no sound like a twin turbo VQ walking on Mercedes with just 7 lbs of boost. Swaps were immediately ruled out because of the price range. And that left me with N/A or NOS. As you all know, the VQ is finely tuned and that doesn't leave a lot of room for improvement, but, i do have the rev-up, which gives me a bit of a jump compared to HR/non-revup in the bolt on area. As for NOS, in the future, if my need for speed takes over me, i will be putting on a 75 shot wet kit until i can build my internals, and then a 150 shot. (I do realize that people have ran 100 shots for months with no problems, but this is my DD, so, better to air on the safe side (If there even is a safe side of NOS).

N/A IT IS!

Performance Mods, But Not On The Block:
RJM Performance Clutch Pedal ($300)
Torque Solutions Short Throw ($210)
Z1 M-Spec Shift **** ($88)
Tein Lowering Springs ($180)
CNC Bolt On Spacers ($200) 20mm front 25mm rear
Z1 Big Brakes Package - Drilled and slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads & master cylinder brace ($692)

My Thinking:
I will explain my thinking behind these mods - if you don't care, move on. The OEM clutch pedal sucks. I use it everyday, so to me it is a worthwhile investment. The lowering springs because i cannot afford coilovers. Big brakes will help greatly. I will be braking from 130+ on a consistent weekly basis. Although some would recommend more track oriented pads, it is not worth the squealing to me. Everything else is self explanatory.

Exterior Mods:
MRR GT1 Hyper Silver Rims 19x8.5 ($1100)
Painting Calipers Red ($40)
Painting Headlight Housing Black and new bulbs ($80)
Carbon Fiber Rear Window Spoiler ($200)
Duraflex HDR Trunk ($350)
Diode Dynamics Tail Turn Module ($40)
Front Lip(Not Decided) Probably nismo
Diffuser (Not Decided) Probably nismo

My Thinking:
The rims are a tad expensive, so that may change in the future. Calipers are to get rid of the plain look, same with the housing and LEDS. I like the style of the rear window spoilers on this car, and i'm definitely putting one on. As for the factory spoiler, that is definitely subject to change. I don't like the plain look, but can't seem to find anything better, so, if anyone has any suggestions, i'd love to hear them. And before i get hate in the comments, i know how to PROPERLY paint / sand, even if it is with a rattle can. I will be doing everything properly, high temp primer, paint, clearcoat, etc.

Now, what we have all been waiting for...
ENGINE MODS
Z1 5/16 Spacer $188
MREV 2 $630
Z1 lightweight pully $148
Z1 HF intake and Z tube $158
Z1 Test pipes $198
ISR Y pipe $220
Gemini CB Exhaust $875
Dyno Tune $500
Torque Solutions TB spacer $80

My Thinking:
It's a budget build. I understand ART pipes and a moterdyne xyz pipe with a shockwave would be a lot more beneficial, but i'm saving quite a bit of money going with those other options. I also know the stock g35 airbox is the best there is, and the lightweight pulley and tb spacer are a bit controversial, but who's gonna stop me?!

Maintenance:
Oil consumption is already beginning to be an issue for me.. wooohooooo!
Aside from that, since i'm reaching the 60,000 mile mark soon, i am changing my diff fluid, my transmission fluid with genuine nissan mtf, powersteering, coolant, clutch fluid. Brake fluid IN THE MASTER CYLINDER is great as it was recently flushed. Oh, and more oil.

Summary and other ideas:
Depending on where i end up, i may get 4.08 gear ratios, aftermarket diff and a transgo shift kit as well as a heat sync. This is a pretty expensive thing to do, especially since i couldn't do (most) of the work myself. Although it would be cool to have that much more low end torque, personally, i'm not sure if it is worth the money i would spend. Like i said, this is a budget build and i'm trying to make the most out of what I have available financially.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, please leave them! I will always listen to what anyone has to say. And if i made an error, correct me. I'd rather learn than be stuck up and argue about it!
Although this build will probably take me some time, feel free to follow it on my instagram @TheBlackPearlVQ
Happy Racing!

Last edited by TheBlackPearlG; 04-03-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red 6MT (Rev-Up) Coupe
Sounds awesome to me!

I have the exact same G35, and had the same ideas as you for mods in the future, which is great!

I’ve never really looked into wet nitrous shot though. I should start researching haha.

The following users liked this post:
TheBlackPearlG (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black on black 2005 G35 Coupe - 57K Original Miles
That is awesome! Feel free to keep me updated, i would love to follow your build.

Nitrous is definitely the most cost effective power on the VQ, so definitely worthwhile to check out!

Old 05-19-2020, 10:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red 6MT (Rev-Up) Coupe
Yeah I took a look at it and it seems like a very fun mod for cheap haha. Also, if you want to see my updates check out the post I made today, “It’s Been a Little While” (5/19/2020.) See you around man!