The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

any tips on buying an intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question any tips on buying an intake?

Hey people i need some recommendations on buying an air intake. I don't know much about modifying cars and would like to know what kind of intake is better. i heard cold air intakes are much better but was also told that during rainy season it can mess up the engine by going over puddles... Can some one please help?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
So, here's a question, why do you want a new intake? More power, more noise, more bling under the hood? The intakes don't do all that much for power, the stock intake isn't all that bad. You might get a couple of HP. On the downside, intakes are a good way to mess up a MAF, especially if you use an oiled filter.

If you want a performance upgrade that's a better use of money, consider brakes, suspension or tires. You'll see much more of a difference. Once you drive the car in such a way that you're using all your grip and braking, then consider engine mods.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
intakes for these cars are pointless.

save some money and just get a ztube and better flowing drop in filter. there will be MAYBE 2 hp gain but it will sound a lot better

Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
^ +1 , ztube with KN drop in filter.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by walshtj
^ +1 , ztube with KN drop in filter.
What he said!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Get the stillen intake. Looks like they raised the price on it.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by marcinr
So, here's a question, why do you want a new intake? More power, more noise, more bling under the hood? The intakes don't do all that much for power, the stock intake isn't all that bad. You might get a couple of HP. On the downside, intakes are a good way to mess up a MAF, especially if you use an oiled filter.

If you want a performance upgrade that's a better use of money, consider brakes, suspension or tires. You'll see much more of a difference. Once you drive the car in such a way that you're using all your grip and braking, then consider engine mods.
thats a very good question... like i said i dont know anything about modifying cars. i just read a lot about everyone getting cold air intakes that is why i thought of getting one. so then what would be your first mod after brakes and tires?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:29 PM
After brakes and tires, I'd personally work on suspension.

The air intake in G35's is already a cold air intake, straight from the factory. It pulls air from the outside, not from the engine bay. Aftermarket, you can get slightly better airflow, or better sound. You can run a less restrictive air filter, like K&N, but that has tradeoffs as well, free flowing filters don't capture as much dirt, so more gets into your engine and it wears faster.

When my track car was down with a grenaded engine, I tracked my G35, and what I found to suck the most were 1) the brakes, 2) suspension. Power was adequate. It actually takes some skill to use 280HP effectively. So once you've spent money on tires, brakes and suspension, go to the track or Auto-X, that will make you much faster than any intake, and it's awesome fun!

Let me entice you a bit, here's some video from my last track day

Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 PM
After brakes and tires, I'd personally work on suspension.

The air intake in G35's is already a cold air intake, straight from the factory. It pulls air from the outside, not from the engine bay. Aftermarket, you can get slightly better airflow, or better sound. You can run a less restrictive air filter, like K&N, but that has tradeoffs as well, free flowing filters don't capture as much dirt, so more gets into your engine and it wears faster.

When my track car was down with a grenaded engine, I tracked my G35, and what I found to suck the most were 1) the brakes, 2) suspension. Power was adequate. It actually takes some skill to use 280HP effectively. So once you've spent money on tires, brakes and suspension, go to the track or Auto-X, that will make you much faster than any intake, and it's awesome fun!

Let me entice you a bit, here's some video from my last track day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cb2DE8Ommg
wow that looked like a lot of fun. Makes sense now, any particular brakes that you can recommend?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 PM
The brakes depend on how much you want to spend, and what your goals are. The stock pads and rotors are junk, and too small. For a reasonable amount of money, you can go to better rotors and better pads, but they're still too small for a fast track driver, so if I was tracking the G a lot, I'd get a big brake kit, but we're talking thousands of dollars. For a few hundred, you can get better rotors (I'm using DBA-4000) and better pads. For street driving, and light track or autocross, you can get Hawk HPS pads. When you outgrow those, move to a track pad, like Hawk HP+ which has better braking and heat resistance, but at the cost of increased noise and increased wear. Once you outgrow HP+, you need a full race pad. I'm using Pagid RS-14, but I don't know if those are available for G/350z.

Our cars can use a lot of performance parts meant for Nissan 350Z, so look around for 350Z brakes to get an idea of costs and options.

Once you upgrade the brakes, even just the pads and rotors, your car will be fine for track or auto-x for a while, since your limit will be skill, and not the machine.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Oh, one more thing, when buying rotors for performance reasons, but slotted ones, not drilled ones. Drilled may look all pretty, but the drill holes are starting points for cracks. Slotted rotors perform the same dirt removal as drilled but don't crack as much.

These guys have a nice selection of G35 brake parts: Click me.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
The 05+ aren't nearly as bad on brakes.

Maybe some new pads/rotors, but nowhere near as necessary as the 03-04s.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts
I offer a custom intake that gives you the best of both worlds. I am local and install is included. PM me for the details.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts
The stock intake may be a "cold air" in theory but it does not pull any cold air from outside the engine bay.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
What kind of rotors would you recommend?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: any tips on buying an intake?