G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Who is still using premium gas.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Who is still using premium gas.

Gas prices went up 30 cents a gallon here in the last three days, more for midgrade and premium. Its gone up about 60-70 cents a gallon in the last month.

Who is still using premium? Anyone using regular?

I've been using midgrade mostly but to be honest, I cannot hear or feel any difference between regular and premium even. No knocking. No loss of power. Mileage might be a little less with regular. I'm thinking about using regular for a while. Is there any harm if you don't hear any knocking?

What about octane boosters?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Premium here, and nothing but. I was told by my mechanic to use only premium unless i was doing flat road long distance driving for the entire tank. I use 87 on distance driving unless its in colorado.

No octane booster will ever get in my car.

You drive a G35, now go smack yourself for asking this question. If you are going to drive a car that takes premium gas, then put premium gas in it and stop complaining! Its like $5 extra.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Yup, still doing premium unless on a long road trip.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 AM
N80
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
You drive a G35, now go smack yourself for asking this question.
Buying this car is WHY I don't have any money left....not an indication that I have more money than I need.

If you are going to drive a car that takes premium gas, then put premium gas in it and stop complaining!
Why. If it isn't knocking then what harm is being done?

Its like $5 extra.
On what planet?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our cars have a default "safe" fuel map they will switch to when detonation begins to occur. This is pretty seamless and you may not really notice it. I just had my car tuned with Osiris and I found out my AFR was about 15.0 of idle and under load up to around 5500rpm. My car had been switching to the default map and I had no idea this was occurring. Did not hear anything and at the time it did not really feel any different. Now that it is tuned it is like night and day. Car is much smoother it acceleration.

Yes, you can use lower grade fuel in you car, and yes, your car can adjust or change the fuel map to accommodate for the fuel type, but should you do this, I would say no.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
You shouldn't have bought a car if it made you so broke you can't afford the right gas.

first off, I doubt you would even notice your engine knocking.

You loose more % wise in fuel economy (and performance) by using a octane your engine isn't tuned for then the amount you save that pump.

It has nothing to do with 91-93 octane burning better which it doesn't. Our engines use higher compression then your standard economy car and need higher octane to prevent knocking.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
N80
Originally Posted by _RR_
You shouldn't have bought a car if it made you so broke you can't afford the right gas.
There was a smiley face after that comment. In reality I have more money than I know what to do with. My coupe is may daily beater. The only reason I don't drive a Ferrari or a Lambo is that I don't like all the attention. I'm very shy.

I was just wondering what grade of gas all the poor Infinit drivers were using now that prices were so high.

And deep down, I think there are a lot of people out there who will do anything their manual says....without knowing or asking why. If there are really good, solid reasons for running high test, then so be it. If not, why waste that extra......$5.....per tank.

Oh, and I have two Infiniti's and both have to drive 80 miles a day. That's 160 miles per day for the math impaired. Assuming around 22 mpg on both cars the difference between premium and regular comes out to about $3.50 a day. That's $105 a month. To put that in perspective, that's about 4 bottles of Jack Daniels a month. See what I'm saying?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I use 91 or higher. But I haven't for the last week because I don't have a car at the moment haha.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
There was a smiley face after that comment. In reality I have more money than I know what to do with. My coupe is may daily beater. The only reason I don't drive a Ferrari or a Lambo is that I don't like all the attention. I'm very shy.

I was just wondering what grade of gas all the poor Infinit drivers were using now that prices were so high.

And deep down, I think there are a lot of people out there who will do anything their manual says....without knowing or asking why. If there are really good, solid reasons for running high test, then so be it. If not, why waste that extra......$5.....per tank.

Oh, and I have two Infiniti's and both have to drive 80 miles a day. That's 160 miles per day for the math impaired. Assuming around 22 mpg on both cars the difference between premium and regular comes out to about $3.50 a day. That's $105 a month. To put that in perspective, that's about 4 bottles of Jack Daniels a month. See what I'm saying?
LOL, the Jack Daniels comment prolly did put things into perspective for some. You might have just reshaped the universe!

I agree w/ you. I have always used premium mainly due to the manufacturer's recommendations and no other reason. I know our cars are high compression (that's how the factory can squeeze 260+ hp out of a V-6), but with round town driving, in my head, I just don't think my car can get the quality air (colder, more condensed) needed to mix for proper combustion. On the highway, however, the air "rammed" to the intake makes me feel better about running the lower grade octane.

I personally (IMO) don't think you'd have any issues running regular in your G and really cannot see you taking it into the shop, due to a problem and the mechanic asks if you run premium or regular to determine how much you'll spend on repairs for whatever reason.

But then again, I also run Shell gas in my vehicles unless I'm about to run out and there's not a Shell station around. Not cause I think Shell is any better than other companies, just habit and personal preference.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by N80
The only reason I don't drive a Ferrari or a Lambo is that I don't like all the attention. I'm very shy.
Ok, sure.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scrapiron7
Ok, sure.
+2..
My neighbor is pretty shy but he owns a 04 Verde Ithica Gallardo.. and a few other toys.

I guess he may just be a fan of lambos.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM
N80
Originally Posted by scrapiron7
Ok, sure.
Man, some of you guys are sarcasm impaired. Can you get a handicap sticker for that?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:56 AM
.25 cents per gallon average than 87. So for a 20 gal tank thats 5$ correct?? Is my math wrong? Ill pay 5$ more and not worry with my engine fouling up!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
i drive a 450hp stock block twin turbo G35.

my baby gets nothing but 93 premium

Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Always Shell 93 Premium, nothing else. I want my engine to run smooth so I get what is recommended.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who is still using premium gas.