G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Strange occurence while driving today..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange occurence while driving today..

Whats up everyone,
I havent posted in a while so I decided to get on and see if I can get some feed back on an extremely strange occurence today.

First off, the car is a 04 g35 6mt. So basically i was coming up a ramp to get on the highway after getting some gas and while going up, the oil and low tire pressure light pop on, so i stopped immediately on the shoulder to check. Before getting out the car or even turning the car off, i realized the car was still completely on, dash lights on, and engine running, but all the gauges were still. I gave the car some gas and the engine would run, but heres the strange part; nothing on the dash was working. gas, rpms, speedo, nothing, + oil and tire pressure light were on.

So i turned the car off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on. Everything worked completely fine after that and hasnt had any hiccups since.

Anybody experience something like this??
Literally the strangest thing thats happened with this car. Luckily it hasnt happened again and even when it did, as stated, the car was fully functional. But having the dash completely dysfunctional and tmps and oil light come on did make me question

any input is appreciated

Old 11-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Probably just a glitch in the Matrix. Just keep an eye on things. I'm sure everything is alright.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Check your fluids, do an ECU reset and see where that gets you

Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 PM
UPDATE

ok so today i go to start the car and the same thign happens, mind you I had no issue with it at all since its first occurence. Anyways, i start the car and the VDC OFF and SLIP lights are on and wont turn off. After warming the car up i notice the fans for the radiator hadnt turned off, and again, the dash features were all non functional cept for the gas. I turned the car off and on several times, but nothing. Being at work, I am unable to look deep into it but I tried un plugging the battery to sort of restart it and still nothing....then after a few tries, everytime i turned the car on and gave it gas, it hesitated and even almost stalled at one point. In a nut shell, everytime i turn the car on, the radiator will run constantly, and none of the dash features will work besides gas and the VDC and SLIP lights will turn on. And the car will hesitate on the throttle...

Anybody no wtf is going on?? I still need to drive home in a few hours and im considering towing it because without the engine temp gauge workign and the radiator on the fritz, I dont know how cool or hot the engine is and obviosly dont want to damage it further....

Old 11-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OmarG35
UPDATE

ok so today i go to start the car and the same thign happens, mind you I had no issue with it at all since its first occurence. Anyways, i start the car and the VDC OFF and SLIP lights are on and wont turn off. After warming the car up i notice the fans for the radiator hadnt turned off, and again, the dash features were all non functional cept for the gas. I turned the car off and on several times, but nothing. Being at work, I am unable to look deep into it but I tried un plugging the battery to sort of restart it and still nothing....then after a few tries, everytime i turned the car on and gave it gas, it hesitated and even almost stalled at one point. In a nut shell, everytime i turn the car on, the radiator will run constantly, and none of the dash features will work besides gas and the VDC and SLIP lights will turn on. And the car will hesitate on the throttle...

Anybody no wtf is going on?? I still need to drive home in a few hours and im considering towing it because without the engine temp gauge workign and the radiator on the fritz, I dont know how cool or hot the engine is and obviosly dont want to damage it further....
Sounds like your ECU to me, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly with a better answer.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
I'll just add that our cars do really strange things when the battery starts to go, with little warning, even when the car does start OK.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:48 PM
OK guys, so I finally got a chance to take it to advanced auto for a quick scan. Although Im sure their scanner is not the most sophisticated or advanced, it did not show me the p0340 code which is the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (which was my initial guess). Instead it showed p1124 ETC Motor Power code. Now from research, the p1124 code is apparently another somewhat common issue and is related to the Throttle Motor relay...

If I went ahead and replaced the motor relay, would this fix my issue ?
Mind you all the symptoms descirbed in this post have all stopped, at this point I can drive the car from point A to point B without any issues or limp mode engaging, only the check engine light stays on. No more VDC or SLIP lights flasshing or nothing.... just CEL.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:53 PM
I wanted to mention that throughout the researching for my issue, I found that everyone had at one point driven their car through rain and it resulted in water getting into the IPDM and that was what causing all these malfunctions.. Just to clarify; It rained heavily the day of all these incidents im talking about and I distinctly remember driving through two massive puddles. Apprently on the other forums, people are claiming that during the rain, water had found its way into the IPDM or relay section and that is the problem, I am starting to think that that is exactly whats going on here......

Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Very good possibility. There are drain holes for compartment on both sides of car.

Remove battery compartment cover and check for moisture, also check under IPDM cover.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodG35
Very good possibility. There are drain holes for compartment on both sides of car.

Remove battery compartment cover and check for moisture, also check under IPDM cover.
i will be checking this out tomorrow morning. Can you tell me where the drain holes are located? I am almost convinced water is the culprit here, the real question is how much damage it has done to throw on the CEL. The rain was so bad even my ballast was drenched and stopped functioning...
What a terrible week it was ... lol

Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Battery Compartment drain hole is under IPDM Box towards center of car. It can be seen from fender well if you remove fender liner .

This is how I rerouted front brake lines using the drain holes.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:51 PM
gotcha thanks

Old 12-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Good luck Omar at least it's somewhat narrowed, did you check my350 for help?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Good luck Omar at least it's somewhat narrowed, did you check my350 for help?
I did and it seems as though these symptoms (VDC light, CEL, SLIP, limp mode etc) have numerous causes which make it difficult to narrow down the actual problem; regardless of g35s, altimas, 350zs etc. After the scan, I think I can rule out the infamous Crankshaft position sensor and gear towards the throttle control motor relay.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance