The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Are we watching the death of a forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Are we watching the death of a forum?

I hear the gasps of a dying forum. No posts since the 9th...and then the standard "What did you do to your G today". Yes mods let the established members ridicule new members who are excited about getting a G. Let them be abused by the super smart assed members of this forum. I'm pissed...I joined this forum in 2003. I have watched it decline because of poor moderators who let new excited Coupe owners be denigrated for showing their enthusiasm. So ban me...I'm probably one of the oldest members. But this forum is dying!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by BlkCoupe:
Aspire Motoring (01-17-2014), Brandovillen (01-21-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
i don't feel like i got razzed being a noob... but i also didn't post incredibly stupid things. I will say though that the movement here seems slow. But its because the cars we are driving are getting old

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think people have been moving to places like Facebook and their pages

Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 PM
eh, facebook is different though. This forum is a place to learn and share passion for this car. That can really only be done on a forum. I feel now that the "new" wore off the car as years have progressed and that the only true enthusiasts remain. This place was probably extremely busy when the car was new through being 5-6 years old. It slows down for sure.

Just like the lexus IS forum. Its slow, but the passionate people are still there contributing and talking

Old 01-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
We've been watching the forum die for a couple years now and we've even had several threads just like this along the way...

Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
Also on FB you don't have ppl telling you what you can do and not do. I think the forums reached its peaked in 2007 and after 2009, it slowly got slower and slower as ppl moved to twitter, fb and other sights. I have to admit though this forum is stricter then others but it stuck around for awhile. I will still be here to welcome new comers and give some pointers or help when needed.

The following users liked this post:
Glover997 (01-17-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm still a member if supra forums even though I sold mine. Been a member since 2006

Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Just the natural cycle.

I'm on forums for other car's i've owned and it's the same cycle. The interest in the car peaks, and then wanes as they become older and people move on. The enthusiasts will remain, and it becomes a sort of clique

I've been here since 2005 or so and have seen the forum change. The crowd has changes as these cars started as $30-40K vehicles, and has fallen down to where they are now. The topics have changed, and the mileage on these cars has increased.

I'll still have mine for at least another year, but when i move on to a G37x or a Q50, i'll find a forum with more traffic for the tech support

Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
I hear the gasps of a dying forum. No posts since the 9th...and then the standard "What did you do to your G today". Yes mods let the established members ridicule new members who are excited about getting a G. Let them be abused by the super smart assed members of this forum. I'm pissed...I joined this forum in 2003. I have watched it decline because of poor moderators who let new excited Coupe owners be denigrated for showing their enthusiasm. So ban me...I'm probably one of the oldest members. But this forum is dying!!!
You have it completely backwards. The forum is dying because true enthusiasts are leaving and taking their knowledge with them. Slowly they are replaced by ignorant kids calling everyone "haters" because they dont like their neon pink ebay wheels at -10 degrees camber. Forums are all about the sharing of knowledge. If all of the knowledgeable people leave...well you are left with what you see now.

The problem with the moderators is they dont moderate enough of the stupid out. Check out the My350z forum. Almost identical platform but with much much stronger member base and five times the activity. Why? Because the senior members do not take any sh*t from noobs. Here they are coddled, told they are special, and expect to be spoon fed the info necessary to make their Gs hella-whatever.

The following 7 users liked this post by WhosUrBuddiee:
.cakestar (01-15-2014), Hi-TechG35 (01-16-2014), Invalid_User (01-15-2014), JBF (01-15-2014), SDGenius (01-17-2014), Sponger (01-14-2014), superchargedg (01-16-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Ive only been a member 5 months the info I get helps alot. I think it is a good forum lots of info! Its the same in alot of forums with noobs.I owned an audi there forum is tougher on noobs! I dont care if the forum is about cars, trucks, motorcycles or firearms noobs with dumb questions get flamed!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
As stated above, it's part of the natural cycle, but I think it's also related to the fact that this forum is not only model specific, it's generation specific.

G37 drivers are on myg37 or somewhere else. So traffic is going to die down at these cars age and people move up and are forced to find another forum for their car. Maxima.org is extremely popular even to this day because it covers all generations, and as people move up to the new model, they stick around. I saw this when I was on G20.net, where I had to resort to hitting the "New Posts" button at the top to see everything around the whole site, now I'm doing it here. If there was a generic infinitiG.com, I wouldn't have had to leave G20.net to G35driver, then on to my37 (if I ever get one).

We see this in our car club, National G Club got it's start on this forum, but as time as progressed and the cars in the club have become more diverse, a large portion of members have no reason to visit g35driver if they own a G37, or a 350Z, or a Q50. There's been a large shift of activity to facebook, which is good for the social aspects, but sucks because the technical knowledge is going to get lost in the muck.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Well...an active thread...mission accomplished!!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
As stated above, it's part of the natural cycle, but I think it's also related to the fact that this forum is not only model specific, it's generation specific.

G37 drivers are on myg37 or somewhere else. So traffic is going to die down at these cars age and people move up and are forced to find another forum for their car. Maxima.org is extremely popular even to this day because it covers all generations, and as people move up to the new model, they stick around. I saw this when I was on G20.net, where I had to resort to hitting the "New Posts" button at the top to see everything around the whole site, now I'm doing it here. If there was a generic infinitiG.com, I wouldn't have had to leave G20.net to G35driver, then on to my37 (if I ever get one).

We see this in our car club, National G Club got it's start on this forum, but as time as progressed and the cars in the club have become more diverse, a large portion of members have no reason to visit g35driver if they own a G37, or a 350Z, or a Q50. There's been a large shift of activity to facebook, which is good for the social aspects, but sucks because the technical knowledge is going to get lost in the muck.
Your from NGC that's nice, I just started going to their meets (about the 5th one now) and they are the only reason that I am on g35driver and since I have a G37 I am mainly on myg37.com and I think that forum is more um easy on noobs; sure they get flamed but they push them in the right direction (well at least I do).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are we watching the death of a forum?