The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Infiniti Dealer Not Installing OEM Parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti Dealer Not Installing OEM Parts

Until recently I have taken my 2009 G37XS for service to the dealer that I purchased it from. The car currently has 105000 kms on it.

The reason for this post is that I have stopped taking the car to the dealer now because I found that they were installing non-OEM parts without my knowledge. To say I was upset when I found out would be an understatement. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected the dealer to install anything but OEM parts without first seeking my permission. Why would I pay a premium and go to a dealer for anything but OEM parts????

The parts in question were brakes of which I have had 3 brake jobs since the car was new. Something my new mechanic says is to be expected on an Infiniti however further compounded by the fact that the rotors were an inferior part that they installed.

Am I crazy to expect integrity and ethics from an Infiniti dealer??

Has anyone else had similar experiences? And, what actions did you take?

Cheers,

Old 01-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
damn.. i hope they didn't charge you OEM price..

I had a similar experience.. dealer using non-oem coolant/distilled water.. I, too, paid the 30% $$ premium of taking the car to the dealership for service. I wasn't too happy about it.

I hate to say it, but I rather take the risk at the dealership than a "fix all model" mechanic...

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I would think dealerships would be requires to sell OEM parts? I've never heard of one installing non-OEM.

Just out of curiousity how were you able to confirm they were non-OEM, and what did the invoice state?

Old 01-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Hi, I decided to upgrade the brakes with performance parts thinking it would help with their life. To do this I took it to a friends shop and he confirmed when he removed the parts that they were not OEM. This is after paying the dealer for 3 brake jobs!!

Given that the dealer sells me Nissan approved windshield washer fluid (and I buy it!!) I never ever expected to get anything less than OEM parts. At the very least I would have expected them to offer me two options - firstly OEM parts and secondly non-OEM at a lower price.

I feel this is an ethical/moral issue that undermines the entire dealership experience.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback.

Simon

Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM
And my impression, after all of this, is that the dealer charged me for OEM and installed non-OEM as the priced for performance parts plus installation was still less than the dealer quoted me for the same job. The dealer quoted $ 615 CDN and I paid $ 575!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
can u be more specific on wat parts? and how do u kno if theyre oem or not?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by 2009G37Sedan
Until recently I have taken my 2009 G37XS for service to the dealer that I purchased it from. The car currently has 105000 kms on it.

The reason for this post is that I have stopped taking the car to the dealer now because I found that they were installing non-OEM parts without my knowledge. To say I was upset when I found out would be an understatement. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected the dealer to install anything but OEM parts without first seeking my permission. Why would I pay a premium and go to a dealer for anything but OEM parts????

The parts in question were brakes of which I have had 3 brake jobs since the car was new. Something my new mechanic says is to be expected on an Infiniti however further compounded by the fact that the rotors were an inferior part that they installed.

Am I crazy to expect integrity and ethics from an Infiniti dealer??

Has anyone else had similar experiences? And, what actions did you take?

Cheers,
You should be speaking to the guys/gals,or parts manager in the dealer parts department. They can answer all your questions concerning the replacement parts.
You can obtain prices from parts, purchase the pads, rotors, etc. examine them and then carry them over to the service guy for installation.
Ask to speak to the mechanic that is doing the work & examine the old parts prior to leaving.
The mechanic's doing the work can tell you why certain parts are recommended over others because they do this work every day.

BTW I got 85k miles on my OEM brakes on my 06 G35 and those first set of replacement brakes was still on the vehicle when I traded it it with 171796 miles with a few mm still left on them.
Brake wear depends a lot on how you drive.

Just my $.02

Telcoman

Old 01-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
can u be more specific on wat parts? and how do u kno if theyre oem or not?
Hi there, the parts replaced were rear rotors and pads. The mechanic who installed them told me the performance parts were not OEM parts. I cannot comment on whether this is accurate or not however the parts they removed did not have a Nissan or Infiniti mark on them.

I can certainly understand why some of you are being defensive of the dealers. However, I need to reiterate that I trusted them to do the job I was paying them to do which in my opinion was installing OEM parts. Micro-managing them to the extent of carrying parts back and forth etc., is something I am not willing to do.

I believe the hourly rate posted for the dealership is just over $100 CDN. In Canada the amount of time billable for specific activities is regulated.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Cheers

Old 01-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Post pics. Those parts I don't recall have Nissan markings anyway. I could be wrong but I don't recall seeing any. I'm surprised ur mech doesn't even kno there will never be an infiniti marking on any OEM part. And the fact that Nissan as well as other car manufactures don't manufacture every single part that's on the car.

Were not defending the dealer n never do, usually . Were jus defending against ignorance

Last edited by saywat?; 01-26-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I often bring my own parts to my dealer for install. I just had a pair of Hawks installed. They sell that brand but it was cheaper to buy online. I bring my own oil and I'm bringing my own air cleaner and cabin filter in for a service next week. I let them supply brake fluid, trannie fluid etc. I like having my dealer do the work as opposed to Midas or whomever. Factory trained techs who work on Infiniti all day long suits me. I pay about $100 or so an hour. Last five years I've had my G dealer serviced. I never get up sold and they have a record of all the work I've had done. I'm no mechanic, have almost no tools, skill sets, knowledge when it comes to taking care of my car and bike. I do have an excellent old school tech for my bike, dealer serviced and I have no kick with my G dealer. This is my experience. I have 145,000 on my G and 210,000 on my CBR1100XX. Good Luck. I've asked the dealer for part #s then I buy on line. Now the Beaver buck has dropped 10% maybe it's not worth it.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:28 PM
idk every since my local dealer launched their online parts site, their prices have been very comparable to other oem parts dealers sites. so I don't have to order from other dealers parts sites anymore. its pretty awesome and I don't usually have to pay shipping either. so win win