The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Future G driver (Winter question)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future G driver (Winter question)

I am currently saving up to buy a used 2004-2006 G35 coupe for around 12-15k. I live in Wisconsin where the winters can get pretty bad sometimes. Family keeps on insisting that this is a bad choice and it is not worth it because a g35 cannot drive in snow with RWD. Then i again i read on forums it is definetly doable with snow tires and sand bags in your trunk... I'm torn between both opinions, Do i just go ahead and say screw it and buy the coupe?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Family = Parents/siblings or wife & children?

If you are used to driving in the snow with rwd then it's no issue with snow 4-6". Ground clearance is your enemy more so than traction.

WI road crews are used to clearing snow so main roads are typically fine, side streets and driveways blow.

I drove my previous G coupe in the snow with all seasons & no sandbags in snow up to 4" without issues.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Use dedicated snow tires if you care about your well being. They are designed specifically for winter use. Buy some winter wheels (like 17's) and mount some blizzaks. You might be be able to find a good deal on driver here.

Do not drive the G with summer or all seasons on true snow. I know from experience.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I purchased my G last year, so it was my first winter... i kept the all season tires on, and it's definitely doable until u get to the real deep snow issues.. Hills and the slightest inclines are sort of impossible unless u have momentum... ur car WILL slide, but if ur slow enough and u have ur car in control... you'll be fine.

from Chicago btw, so I know how ur winter will be like

Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnieballgame
Family = Parents/siblings or wife & children?

If you are used to driving in the snow with rwd then it's no issue with snow 4-6". Ground clearance is your enemy more so than traction.

WI road crews are used to clearing snow so main roads are typically fine, side streets and driveways blow.

I drove my previous G coupe in the snow with all seasons & no sandbags in snow up to 4" without issues.
Parents/Siblings i am a college student still at home. But yeah i am in love with this car i just cant take my eye off it its just the whole winter weather is what everyone is doubting me on. But yeah i'm about 45 minutes off of chicago. I just wouldn't want to be unable to drive to work say the roads weren't plowed well enough. All my family and friends think this is just a car for looks and that the performance is horrible once an inch of snow is dropped haha

Originally Posted by SwtLaotiaNix7
I purchased my G last year, so it was my first winter... i kept the all season tires on, and it's definitely doable until u get to the real deep snow issues.. Hills and the slightest inclines are sort of impossible unless u have momentum... ur car WILL slide, but if ur slow enough and u have ur car in control... you'll be fine.

from Chicago btw, so I know how ur winter will be like
Have you had sliding issues on hills and such with snow tires and sand bags if you have ever used them? I live right outside of chicago in wisconsin.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I am a pretty sound authority on this topic. Although I had a sedan (sold in March), it was a RWD 2003 and I spent the last 9 years driving 150,000 miles through IN, OH, IL, WI and MI. I can't tell you how many snow storms I have driven through but it has been many.

Every November I put on a cheap set of wheels and Michelin x-ice winter tires. I have owned 5 front wheel drive cars in the past and with winter tires, the G was the best winter car I have owned. The worst part of a RWD car in the snow and ice is difficultly accelerating or keeping traction up hill. Fortunately, vehicle traction and stability control keep you from losing the rear end. But traction can be more of an issue than with a fwd car.

But what the RWD car won't do that a FWD car does is lose traction on the steering tires and go nose first into trouble. I hate losing steering control and that is seldomly a problem with RWD cars. I recently switched to AWD and I will put winter tires on it too but I would not want to go back to a FWD car with all seasons. The RWD with winters was much safer on both side streets and especially on the highway.

If you plan to use winters, DO NOT be afraid of the G. It beats the crap out of an Accord with all season tires. It is a safe car.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:33 AM
I haven't purchased snow tires yet... i made it thru the winter on my all seasons. jus have to take it easy... feather the throttle when attacking hills.. u may slide, but like above said, there's a lot of control u can feel when u are sliding..

Old 06-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
You'll be find as long as you have winter tires on.. also having a full tank of gas helps with weight.

i aint gonna lie.. i can't imagine driving the G without winter tires on in the snow..

well, I have.. it was downright scary / almost impossible (Colorado and Northeast winters)
Let's just say I group the guy who said he had no problems driving in 4" of snow with all-seasons in the same group as the guys who say "I am fine to drive" after drinking 3 glasses of beer in the last hour..

just puts other people in danger and REALLLYYYY hard to believe.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
You'll be find as long as you have winter tires on.. also having a full tank of gas helps with weight. i aint gonna lie.. i can't imagine driving the G without winter tires on in the snow.. well, I have.. it was downright scary / almost impossible (Colorado and Northeast winters) Let's just say I group the guy who said he had no problems driving in 4" of snow with all-seasons in the same group as the guys who say "I am fine to drive" after drinking 3 glasses of beer in the last hour.. just puts other people in danger and REALLLYYYY hard to believe.
I'm not advocating against snow tires or recommending OP or anyone else for that matter roll on all seasons. If I had to drive my current G daily I would have blizzaks. Fortunately I drive a 4wd truck.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Have you thought about a G35X? I have a 05X and 12 inches of snow didn't slow her down this winter in NJ.I use hankook ventus v2 cconcept h437 hi performance all season tires. The X is a great handling sedan!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
You'll be find as long as you have winter tires on.. also having a full tank of gas helps with weight. i aint gonna lie.. i can't imagine driving the G without winter tires on in the snow.. well, I have.. it was downright scary / almost impossible (Colorado and Northeast winters) Let's just say I group the guy who said he had no problems driving in 4" of snow with all-seasons in the same group as the guys who say "I am fine to drive" after drinking 3 glasses of beer in the last hour.. just puts other people in danger and REALLLYYYY hard to believe.
Exxxxxxaxtly.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:22 PM
oh I'm not saying definitely roll with the all seasons... hell no go for the winter tires for sure if u can.. at the time I couldn't afford new tires... so i had no choice to roll with what I had.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

There are many good options on craigslist this time of year. Search up.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I originally wanted a coupe but bought the sedan X for the winters in CT. Over the last 5 winters with Conti ExtremeWinterContacs I have had only a few occasions where the FWD kicked in. Because the weight distribution is so good with the G I am considering a RWD model next time. If I could do it all over again, knowing what I know, I'd get the coupe.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassman
I originally wanted a coupe but bought the sedan X for the winters in CT. Over the last 5 winters with Conti ExtremeWinterContacs

I have the same tires on my X. They really do work quite well. I was out driving in heavy nor'easters this winter with my sedan and I just couldn't get the thing stuck.

OP. If you are really concerned about winter driving, you could get an AWD sedan. I know initially I was against the sedans, but went AWD because my work commute was 50+ miles and I didn't want to stress out in the snow with RWD (even though my previous experience was 10 years with RWD V8 Mustangs in the snow) so i bought a sedan. Now, I don't even consider coupes when looking at a replacement vehicle for it in the next year or so. Either another G37x sedan or a Q50.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Future G driver (Winter question)