5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Performance, looks, or handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Performance, looks, or handling

Just curious to see what's everyone's priorities were/are on modding their G's.

I'm going to get started and get very deep in the modding game for my G35 '06 AT sedan. So far all I've done is the typical K&N drop in and Z-tube. Up next? No body knows. I've still yet to figure out my priorities.

So far what I have planned is:

Perf: MD 5/16 spacer, stillen exhaust, ART pipes, Lightweight pullies??? -> UpRev tune
Looks: Paint the calipers to either grayish/black?, paint the 7 spokers glossy black?, DDIN, backup camera, ambient lighting
Handling/suspension: I have no idea on this

Old 08-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Exhaust was my first
Then exterior
Then suspension
Now this engine bay addiction

Not the right or wrong way
Just my way it wound up being

Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Why pick? Why not strive for all of the above?

Old 08-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
At 100% of the votes (my vote lol), performance is my focus. However, most people end up focusing on looks first, then start working on performance. No wrong way to go around it, just figure out what your priority is. This is completely subjective. Just make sure to stay away from rice whether it is performance or looks related

Old 08-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Upgrades or Mod bug, you decide!

There should be a column for all three, as you can tell by my mods I've covered everything with the exception of FI. Once you start on tires/wheels then you find the need to shorten the space over the top of your tires, springs or coilovers. Add a front bumper and you must include the sides so the profile looks right. Find an intake you like then discover there's a need for the plenum spacer where Nissan failed. Like the way a members exhaust sounded, it's time for a cat back system. Doesn't sound quite like you expected, time to install HFCs. Stillen's having an open house, installs are free lets look into sway bars...and so it goes. I've never owned a car I haven't upgraded starting when I was not quite 16. I have to blame my Dad and Uncle they raced on the salt flats before I was born, it's in my blood!
Gary

Old 08-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
If you want to have fun, go with power and handling modifications.

If you want to turn heads, go with aesthetics.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Stock sucks.

I mod everything, usually start with what I can afford, what is on sale, or what is bothering me about the car the most.

I just got my G35, so the first thing was to detail it and get all the maintenance up to spec, which included tires and brakes, belts, wipers, every fluid changed, etc.

Performance and handling is nice, but 95% of my driving is on the interstate with a cop every few miles in bumper to bumper traffic, so not much time to play.

But a good looking car is something every one can enjoy all the time, and car shows are much more often, closer to home, and cheaper than track days.

Don't get me wrong, I like to go fast, just don't get much chance to use it. Main reason I sold my last FI car.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Just interesting to see some opinions on here. And it's not necessarily picking, just sort of like a priority thing, not 100% bound to it. Doing this all for fun, nothing serious ! I guess I should have included an all 3/mix'n'match option.

One thing I'm afraid of though, which Gary touched on, is the suspension. It's like one thing leads after another as soon as you begin. Got lowered? Good you'll be needing a camber kit. Things like that, or I'm just too uneducated in that department for now.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan268
Just interesting to see some opinions on here. And it's not necessarily picking, just sort of like a priority thing, not 100% bound to it. Doing this all for fun, nothing serious ! I guess I should have included an all 3/mix'n'match option. One thing I'm afraid of though, which Gary touched on, is the suspension. It's like one thing leads after another as soon as you begin. Got lowered? Good you'll be needing a camber kit. Things like that, or I'm just too uneducated in that department for now.
how low you wanna go?
Best bet is to get coils and never have the "wish I went coils" regret. You'll most likely need a front and rear camber kit and toe kit.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan268
Just interesting to see some opinions on here. And it's not necessarily picking, just sort of like a priority thing, not 100% bound to it. Doing this all for fun, nothing serious ! I guess I should have included an all 3/mix'n'match option.
One thing I'm afraid of though, which Gary touched on, is the suspension. It's like one thing leads after another as soon as you begin. Got lowered? Good you'll be needing a camber kit. Things like that, or I'm just too uneducated in that department for now.
One thing leads to another...great words for a song! Best bet for lowering your G is coilovers, that gives you height adjustment which springs alone won't! Any time you lower our G35 coups/sedans you're going to need adjustable camber arms (F) and adjusters out back so your not going thru tires every 10K miles! The cost will pay for itself in 3 years. You don't need to be uneducated, read all the stickys and use our search when you have questions...the answers are there!
Gary

Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
I am going for more show but i am also doing performance for fun.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 820 Likes on 595 Posts
If I could do it again I would have gotten coilovers first. Then just build around that.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
i went for performance first...

Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Gotta do it all, but performance has to come first. You gotta think: you got a dog, you got a responsibility. You don't go out there for an hour and give up, you get you're a$$ out there and you find that fxckin dog!!

If you have a bad lookin car, you better be able to back it up with the performance

Old 08-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
You forgot 4th Option - Negative Handling
The hella flushtards that make handling worse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance, looks, or handling