The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Good riddance, Lexus IS250. Hello Nissan.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good riddance, Lexus IS250. Hello Nissan.

My 2005 G35X got totalled becaues the air bag went off (other driver's fault, not mine). I do not like the 2007 and newer Infinitis. Couldn't find another 05-06 with low miles. So in February of this year I purchased a white 2011 IS250 AWD automatic with 25K miles on it. It had a clean Car Fax and was so beautiful. It had the luxury value package which had the heated/cooled seats, moon roof, rear sunshade, nav/backup camera, etc. LOADED

I am happy to say that on Saturday I traded this heap of junk for a 2012 fully loaded Maxima with 27K miles on it.
Why did I trade such a pretty Lexus AWD car for a Maxima? Read on to learn why in my opinion, Nissan is far superior to Lexus.

Here is the list of things that were wrong with the IS250 just in the 3 months I owned it:

-Car vibrates with a nauseating "flutter" in the entire cabin when idling (like when sitting at a red light). I had to put it into neutral at every red light just to stop the annoying vibration. Even my passengers felt it so I know it’s not just me. Even my driver's seat was vibrating my private parts to the point of numbing them. I had it to the Lexus dealer twice, the answer I got is “This is normal, it’s the way they run.” Nice, real nice. I had not noticed this when I test drove it because honestly, we had the worst winter on record in Boston and I bought it in the middle of a blizzard, and the roads were so messed up and snow packed and it was so cold, I did not notice the poor idling. I was too focused on getting myself safely around without spinning out due ot all the ice. It probably went unnoticed because driving here was abysmal and the roads were rough due to ice. Once the nice weather hit, I started noticing how badly it fluttered at red lights and was really disappointed. Interestingly, I test drove two 2012 GS350's a couple weeks ago and they both vibrated even worse than my IS250.

-Windshield was rattling badlky and Lexus found the windshield clips had to be tightened (covered under warranty)

-Driver’s side window was rattling over bumps, Lexus replaced the entire window motor assembly (replaced under warranty)
- 3rd brake light in back window came completely loose for no reason, would not stay clipped down into the cheap rear shelf area. I had to Velcro it down to keep it from going lopsided every time I took a turn

- Driver’s side door mirror intermittently tilts up to the sky when it returns from being down in reverse mode. Brought it to Lexus, they couldn’t duplicate it and said bring it back when you can get it to do it. I gave up and put the slider in the middle of the L/R switch to bypass the tilt. Disappointment

- Annoying noise on driver’s door at the ear level which sounded like the rubber door weather stripping but all was tight. I tried to figure out a fix from searching the threads on the Lexus site. Never did find a solution and it was really, really bad. Took all the enjoyment out of the car.

- Finally, (have to laugh about this one) when I went to trade the Lexus in on Saturday, I pulled in to the dealership and there is the plastic panel under the glove compartment, literally hanging off the dash. All the glue somehow came undone and the panel was hanging off. Had to laugh. What poor quality.

So, I now have another Nissan product which I LOVE and should have bought to begin with but I had my mind SET on an AWD vehicle. I don’t like the newer Infiniti interiors so I wanted to try an AWD Lexus. After all, aren’t Lexus cars supposed to be top notch? My fully loaded Maxima does not have AWD but I LOVE my car. It’s fast (290 HP vs 204 in the IS250) and beautiful and SOLID!! It feels like a tank yet it’s a 6 cylinder. It has a growl that lets me know its power is there, but yet my car is not vibrating. It’s humming along and idling smoothly at red lights. Feels just like the old G35X sans the AWD. I was concerned I wouldn’t like the CVT but this tranny shifts easily and smooth and does not bother me in the least. The car MOVES when I hit the gas. I will add, I will likely NEVER buy a Lexus ever again. I don’t know whether I just got a bad car but my 3 month experience was aggravating enough to last 3 years’ worth of headaches, time missed at work, etc.
I took a financial hit trading the overpriced Lexus in for the Maxima but I don’t regret it for one second. Good riddance, IS250. You were all steak, no sizzle. Never again and I will not recommend a Lexus to anyone else. I don't expect a used car to be PERFECT, but pretty darn headache free for a little while at 25K miles. I know my Maxima will not be perect, because no car is. I do have faith in it though because I've owned 3 Infinitis.
Glad to be back in a Nissan.
Mary in Boston

Last edited by catsnmusic; 05-19-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Glad to hear you are happy now.

I had an IS250 AWD (well my g/f did), my experience was quite different though.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
I've also had a different experience with Lexus...kind of upsetting actually.
They definitely stepped up their game last few years as they are F**KING sharp looking cars now but never had those issues before.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
My experience with Lexus was far different than yours. Glad you're happy now though.