The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

OH... NOOOO!!! Bottomed out HARRRD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH... NOOOO!!! Bottomed out HARRRD

I blame Orange County's 3rd world-quality freeways. Two different highly invisible & super deep dips in the horrible San Clemente-area I-5 fwy slammed my 1.5" drop '06 coupe into bottom out Hell in the past two weeks and f*cked up my catalytic converter

I live in North County San Diego where many roads haven't been maintained since the Declaration of Independence, but nothing has kicked my car's a$$ like that shameful 6-lane donkey trail. What the f'n f*ck, San Clemente?! Now my idle sounds like a rattlesnake boiling in a kettle and 298hp feels like 210.

Soooo,

Three questions- Is there any source of made-to-fit, California-legal catalytic converters for less than $500? (Here it's against the law to install a used cat ) Second question: How do I prevent this happening again other than adjusting the ride height? Is there a partial skid plate/ protective measure I can take for less money? Third query: Can JB Weld be safely used to at least temporarily fix outer cat conv. damage?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyBones
I blame Orange County's 3rd world-quality freeways. Two different highly invisible & super deep dips in the horrible San Clemente-area I-5 fwy slammed my 1.5" drop '06 coupe into bottom out Hell in the past two weeks and f*cked up my catalytic converter

I live in North County San Diego where many roads haven't been maintained since the Declaration of Independence, but nothing has kicked my car's a$$ like that shameful 6-lane donkey trail. What the f'n f*ck, San Clemente?! Now my idle sounds like a rattlesnake boiling in a kettle and 298hp feels like 210.

Soooo,

Three questions- Is there any source of made-to-fit, California-legal catalytic converters for less than $500? (Here it's against the law to install a used cat ) Second question: How do I prevent this happening again other than adjusting the ride height? Is there a partial skid plate/ protective measure I can take for less money? Third query: Can JB Weld be safely used to at least temporarily fix outer cat conv. damage?
That's why no matter how cool it makes u feel ,you shouldn't lower your car. Did the look I'm cool feeling go away yet?

I'm not understanding why you drop your car if you can't even afford a cat?

The following users liked this post:
telcoman (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
there really are no cheap options here in cali. if you have to make changes to the emissions system the dealership/ approved repair facility has to do the work. and you prob looking at 1500 for a set of cats.

in my old rsx-s i had to get another cat. i just picked up a used stock one from the forums and put it on. i had my car smogged and had no problems. on visual inspection you cant tell the difference. but technically it is illegal. and the fines are crazy if they find out.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Check the forums, people are usually selling them..

Old 01-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Siciliang35
That's why no matter how cool it makes u feel ,you shouldn't lower your car. Did the look I'm cool feeling go away yet?

I dropped my car but I was already kool so how does that work? Most cars look better with a drop so why not drop your car.. Different strokes for different folks.. Op just needs to get mechanic skills or a friend who can swap his cats with a used set for cheaper than getting new and going to a shop.. lol

Old 01-18-2016, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by Siciliang35

I bought the car that way 4 months ago dude. And it's not just a 1.5" drop, the whole suspension is built and it was done the right way. And yes, I can afford a cat, I'm just expressing dismay that I must because NO other road has given me this trouble. I'm not digging your lame & unwarranted condescending tone, save it for some youngster asking dumb & impertinent questions, guy.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by hurleyguys
there really are no cheap options here in cali. if you have to make changes to the emissions system the dealership/ approved repair facility has to do the work. and you prob looking at 1500 for a set of cats.

in my old rsx-s i had to get another cat. i just picked up a used stock one from the forums and put it on. i had my car smogged and had no problems. on visual inspection you cant tell the difference. but technically it is illegal. and the fines are crazy if they find out.
Hahaa! You're not joking, it's a $10,000 fine for operation a used cat... My best bet I guess is buying the part from Nissan/ Infiniti in Ontario where at least they take a few hundred off. Bummers. Just hope I can find a proper skid plate to protect my undercarriage, I had one on my old E36 M3 (even though the cat on those is well flushed into the undercarriage and not in much harm's way.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
I bought the car that way 4 months ago dude. .
That was your first mistake

I'm just expressing dismay that I must because NO other road has given me this trouble.
So find another road! You think taxpayers should pay for your lowered vehicle to fix the road?
Perhaps you should support raising the gas tax to fix the road for you.

I'm not digging your lame & unwarranted condescending tone, save it for some youngster asking dumb & impertinent questions, guy.
Your immaturity is clearly showing.

Grow up

http://www.blogher.com/what-causes-emotional-immaturity

Telcoman

Old 01-18-2016, 05:48 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Frankieg35 (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 07:11 AM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Ah, g35driver the place of soap opera drama.

To the op, it must really suck living in California with those restrictions. Just grab a used one and hope for the best lol.