The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

2003 6mt coupe..first oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
2003 6mt coupe..first oil change

So.. I've driven my G just over 3000 miles now since I got it a few months ago.

Plenty of easy work has gone into making the car a reliable, and competent daily driven GT car.

First thing when I got it was the battery of tests.. OBD2 scan, cylinder compression... all checked out good except the one o2 sensor since I don't have cats.

Pulled the OEM 19" Rays off and installed my 18" Volk GT7. Spacers needed to get the offsets right so they were ordered. Started trying to get the D2 coilovers dialed in.

Changed out the valvecover gaskets and tube seals, RTV holding up strong. Cleaned out the Intake manifold, plenum, throttle body and MAF. Installed new factory spec platinum spark plugs, new cam position sensors and 4 new oxygen sensors. I come from the "while you are in there" school and I figure that 113k miles is a good service life and for the low cost I would rather have the peace of mind.

Fuel injectors apparently leaking, causing surge in gear, stalling at a stop. Bought a set of stock injectors and had them rebuilt... perfect idle now.

Next work was installing a new midpipe/y pipe to replace the badly cracked and welded one on the car.

Designed custom oil catch tank setup. Tightened loose header nuts on the longtubes.

Installed a grounding kit and cleaned all grounds on the body. Very good to do this..

Picked up 350z Bilstein Shocks and Eibach Pro Kit springs. Swapped out the D2 coilovers and sold them.

Bought an UpRev cable and license and had Osiris base e-tune installed by Seymore4. Looking forward to logging some runs on the dyno. Seat of the pants feel is much improved response.

Bought AMS underdrive pulley set...on the way

Will be buying MD 5/16" Iso Therm spacer before final tuning on the dyno.

And just this past weekend I completed the first 3000 mile oil change, and also swapped out the differential fluid for Lucas 80/90. I had borrowed a fender roller long ago and finally rolled the rear lips just to get them out of the way safely so I have the freedom to use whatever wheel/tires I want to in the future. Transmission fluid is next on the list of maintenance and its back to the mods to finish it up.

Cool ride so far..I'm enjoying it. The Bilstein/Eibach suspension is very predicatable and not harsh at all. The car corners flat even on stock sways and when the rear steps out its very controlled. My drive to work is never boring, and after all, thats what its all about.

I can't wait til the final tuning is complete and to see what i come up with.

Stay Tuned!

Old 01-19-2016, 12:51 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Post pic when you get a chance!

Good job EPiK! I wouldn't have installed that pulley, pretty much a waste of time! Once your spacer is installed and before you get on the rollers consider looking for a better exhaust like HKS or Exotic Speed R1-T for a better sound. Good Luck & Enjoy the Ride...Gary

Old 01-19-2016, 01:15 AM
The car has an eBay older exhaust on it now. I hate it, mainly the bad rasp at 2500 rpm. I have some plans to modify it to suit me, or just replace it all together.
There is a lightweight flywheel and stage 2 clutch already on the car. I need some new belts anyway and the stock pulleys are pretty rusty so I spent the $100 shipped pretty well I think for the full set of 3 pulleys and the belts. Every little bit helps, removing weight directly off the rotating assembly is the most effective and easiest way to give back stolen power.

thanks for the tips!

Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 AM
Just bought a MD 5/16 spacer, picking up Nissan OEM transmission fluid this weekend and almost ready to hit the dyno for some real #s.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:57 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Great job so far but I highly recommend you upgrade your sway bars, IMO they are the best bang for the buck you can make out of all the mods available except for FI. You'll be amazed how much they change the driving dynamics of the car.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Which set of bars do you recommend? I've looked at the Eibach, and read about Hotchkis.. I enjoy the handling right now, can't imagine it being even better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.