The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Anyone Know of A Performance Shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Know of A Performance Shop

Hello all. I've finally made it to the point in my life where I am making real money. (only took 30 years). I've been saving like a mother- and I'm ready. I've been going back and forth between just buying a Nissan GTR or building a sleeper. I've always been in love with the idea of sleepers so the competition to the GTR would be a very low mileage g37x (yes I need the AWD) and I want to just take it to a shop that will do all the work for me. I literally want to pick from a bunch of performance services, pay, turn the key, and drive away with a supercar in disguise.

With the GTR you can take your car into the Alpha shop, pick a package, and do exactly what I mentioned above. Is there a place like that for the Nissan g37? I want to buy a completely built motor running a crazy twin turbo setup with all the fixings. I expect to be spending about the same price as the car. But my google searches have been fruitless. All I can find are places that sell the parts, and places that just do installation work. I'm looking for something like Alpha, Hennessy, AMG, a well known reputable shop that will just get it done with minimal effort on my part.

I built a 500 HP c4 corvette few years ago and the experience was a nightmare, I am still picking out the fiberglass, growing back the blood cells and knuckle skin that car and push rod v8 stole from me. I don't want another money pit, and i want to keep my wrenches in the chest. I want a professional job from people who know exactly what they are doing. I eventually sold the vette and within 2 weeks the guy who bought it from me burnt it down to the frame. I had a fire extinguisher strapped to the roll cage but he was too scared to stay in the car long enough to get it out. He didn't secure the fuel return line properly lol.

Thanks

Last edited by twentyeggs; 01-25-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 01-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
z1 would be my guess.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Congrats. Is the location a concern?

Forged Performance,GTM, Performance factory, and VTR (VinnyTenRacing), Z1 motorsports, I believe APS, MRC. I believe IPP does that too.

Might get flamed for not finding these yourself, just sayin'.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Neither. Buy a investment property and retire when you are 50 and then buy the awesome car when someone else is paying for it.

Oh wait, this is a car forum. I vote Corvette

Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Neither. Buy a investment property and retire when you are 50 and then buy the awesome car when someone else is paying for it.

Oh wait, this is a car forum. I vote Corvette
Lol. My goal in live is to purchase an apartment complex. All my family has complexes as a retirement type cash flow. My parents just inherited two smaller complexes from my grandparents following their deaths a few years ago, which adds to their own complex and couple properties they rent out. So retirement is pretty much secured for me, although I would want to earn my own place and not rely on any inheritance even though I know its there. Otherwise I wouldn't have busted my *** for 5 years in college, the one place someone like me does not belong.

And no to the corvette. lol Trust me, I love them but when something goes wrong.... it goes very wrong and it is extremely expensive. I still have a few pieces of weather stripping in storage. Just one piece of weather stripping that lays across the rear part of the targa top cost $280.... for a strip of foam... you can imagine what the other parts cost. Second, even though I welded a complete roll cage and 5 point harness, I was always paranoid about submarining under a truck or even a regular size sedan. Corvettes are pretty much high speed wedges. I'd like to stay alive in the event of a crash, especially with the way I drive.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Congrats. Is the location a concern?

Forged Performance,GTM, Performance factory, and VTR (VinnyTenRacing), Z1 motorsports, I believe APS, MRC. I believe IPP does that too.

Might get flamed for not finding these yourself, just sayin'.
Location is not a concern. I live in California but I'd be willing to trailer it all the way to new York if the shop was good enough.

I've looked into APS GMT but no where on their website do they list a location that I can take my car to. I guess I would have to call. I guess my question is which of these places is merely a store that sells parts or a shop that also does the work with the products they sell. Ill look at z1 right now.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys I think I got what I need to know.

I guess I was looking for something similar to the Alpha performance shops.

If you have ever been there, you basically select your car, and then it takes you to a page where there are different packages with pre selected performance upgrades. So for example you can walk in with your GTR and say i want the Alpha 6,7,9,10 ect.. package, walk out and pick it up when its ready.

Sound more like with the g37 Ill have to discuss what others have done, which services, parts, upgrades, I should include for what goal I am trying to achieve ect..

look here... http://alphaperformance.com/#portfolio

Last edited by twentyeggs; 01-25-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I'll do it. Just give me the car and the parts and I'll do all the work. Just pay my rent and buy me beer for a couple months and I'll work daily on it til it's done. My company is RKG performance and carwash.

I also own a BBQ/Barber Shop. We sell haircuts and pork butts.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Lucky in live in Ca., buy a GT-R and contact my buddy Craig Lieberman on FB. He can direct you to the performance shops he uses in the OC area. Ever drop by Cars & Coffee in the OC area, you can learn a lot! Good Luck making the right choices...Gary

Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
I'll do it. Just give me the car and the parts and I'll do all the work. Just pay my rent and buy me beer for a couple months and I'll work daily on it til it's done. My company is RKG performance and carwash. I also own a BBQ/Barber Shop. We sell haircuts and pork butts.
Kevin is your middle name?
Or is it Krispy?
One or the other I'm sure of it

Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Kevin is your middle name?
Or is it Krispy?
One or the other I'm sure of it
Neither. Think rolling stones.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Neither. Think rolling stones.
Carlo Little with a "k"?
Lulz

Old 01-25-2016, 11:10 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by twentyeggs
Thanks guys I think I got what I need to know.

I guess I was looking for something similar to the Alpha performance shops.

If you have ever been there, you basically select your car, and then it takes you to a page where there are different packages with pre selected performance upgrades. So for example you can walk in with your GTR and say i want the Alpha 6,7,9,10 ect.. package, walk out and pick it up when its ready.

Sound more like with the g37 Ill have to discuss what others have done, which services, parts, upgrades, I should include for what goal I am trying to achieve ect..

look here... http://alphaperformance.com/#portfolio

I wanted to add in a few things for you to consider.

First, good choice browsing the forums. There are a lot of members here who have owned V35 G35's and V36 G35's who then migrated to the G37's.

Some concerns I have for both of your choices here... The transmissions and drivetrains.

I understand you don't want to be driving around in a car that looks fast, you want to go for the sleeper thing. The problem with the AWD system is I really don't think it can hold up to the kind of power you are looking for. Even the RWD automatic transmissions struggle to hold 500WHP. They all fail inevitably.

Even the GTR is known for burning up transmissions one after another once you are pushing power. I would think there is more support to build the GTR transmission than any G37 or G35 transmission. Not to mention the transfer cases in the G37's and G35's... I really don't trust them to begin with before you even bring super-car power levels into the discussion.

AWD=problems. No doubt.

6MT RWD is the way to go. But that goes against your original statement of needing AWD. Other than that, there are plenty of 6MT G37 coupes and I believe they make the G37 sedans in 6MT also.

With you coming from the LS world, you will be used to a lot of low end torque.

Right off the bat you're going to want a built bottom end, possibly even a stroker. Head work to support a mean set of cams, porting, etc. Boost... lots of it. Even that might not be enough for you. Basically you should shoot for the stars here. Go where few have gone, make it no question that you need a sleeved VQ block. 4 digit numbers should be your goal IMO.

Are you sure you want to drive an automatic car? Honestly I would get bored of it, even if it was a GTR. Unfortunately in the USDM there are no AWD manual platforms made by nissan that will work in this situation. It would be amazing to see a skyline R34 drivetrain in a G37x coupe to retain the AWD but have the reliability and efficiency of a manual transmission.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Nah, you don't want a stroker. You won't be able to get the rpms you want. You want big bore, short stroke. Something like 1.56" stroke with a 4.4" diameter bore should get you something like 18krpm..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Know of A Performance Shop