G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G25 Repair Codes Specifics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G25 Repair Codes Specifics

lo fellas,

If this is the wrong section, my apologies. I have some codes popping up on my 2011 G25 V6 model and was hoping I could get some direction for here. The codes I am getting are: P0021 / P0011.

I just had an oil, oil filter, and air filter change. I have read up on the G35 thread for the same codes but the answer seems to vary dependent on year.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know what other info may be helpful.

-Kondukt

Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Since we have almost no G25 owners here I would recommend you use Google to troubleshoot the codes and look for some G25 forums.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Hi Kondukt.

We experienced a similar issue on a 2012 G25. Did you find a solution?

Our local mechanic has given up on trying to solve the problem and suggested that we bring the car to the dealership.

The dealership wants another $160 to read the codes for themselves. They estimate that the cost for replacing the galley gasket to be around $3,200. (Google diagnosis).

Infiniti Consumer Affairs would not provide any relief.

This is a mint car with only 65K miles on it with all suggested service records.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:50 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you've inspected and verified the actuators work, the cam phase sensors work, and the cam phaser pickup ring is intact and not damaged it pretty much narrows the problem down to low oil pressure not allowing the actuator to extend fully. This could be caused by overall low engine oil pressure which can be mechanically tested or a blown gasket on the actuator causing it to bleed off all the oil that should be extending the plunger.

Either fix the vehicle, or sell the vehicle, or just drive it until something explodes, that's where you go from here.

The following users liked this post:
InfinitiLuv (06-05-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
If you've inspected and verified the actuators work, the cam phase sensors work, and the cam phaser pickup ring is intact and not damaged it pretty much narrows the problem down to low oil pressure not allowing the actuator to extend fully. This could be caused by overall low engine oil pressure which can be mechanically tested or a blown gasket on the actuator causing it to bleed off all the oil that should be extending the plunger.

Either fix the vehicle, or sell the vehicle, or just drive it until something explodes, that's where you go from here.
Thank you.

The local mechanic spent hours checking everything. The invoice for the last visit states:

"Tech verified VVT commands from engine control computer and found Variable valve timing incomplete. VVT systems for both engine blocks are not working properly. Recommend customer check with Infiniti dealer for VVT relearn procedure"

Verbally, the mechanic told me that it may be the galley gasket. (He would not put that in writing for some reason.)

We are considering bringing it to the dealership/service to get their diagnosis (Cost for diagnosis = $160).

Then we would need to consider where to do the repair.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:48 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I would have Nissan do the diagnostic because it may be something simpler that the mechanic didn't catch. At least then you will have verified the cause of the problem and can decide how to proceed.

InfinitiLuv (06-05-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I would have Nissan do the diagnostic because it may be something simpler that the mechanic didn't catch. At least then you will have verified the cause of the problem and can decide how to proceed.
Thank you.

Agreed.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Hi Everyone. Here is an update…

Infiniti service said that the oil pressure is dropping (waiting for the diagnostic paper) and the gally gasket needs to be replaced. The quote for the repair is $3,600 including 20 hours of labor; COVER ASSSPORD; and a dozen gaskets.

The dealership is offering purchase the car as-is for $2,500.

We are considering paying for the repair and then bringing the car to Carmax.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:12 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well the vehicle is only worth about $7-8k, if you can find someone to perform the repairs for around $1000 that will warranty the repair then it might be cost effective. Personally, if you don't have any special attachment to the vehicle, I'd seriously consider the dealer trade-in. Look closely at their used inventory lot and see what else they can throw in to sweeten the deal on the trade-in and purchase, if going Infiniti is too pricey then check out the local Nissan dealership because they're practically giving the new Nissan Kick away with zero markup right now and it's a very decent compact crossover FWD. A couple guys at work picked them up for UNDER $18k with the rebates going on right now with no trade-in bonus which would have made the discount even bigger.

InfinitiLuv (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM
We appreciate the response. Could we buy ourselves some time by having the repair done; pick out a new car; and then sell the car as a trade in (or Carmax)?

Will the dealer or Carmax lower the value of the car if we had the repair done vs. a car that never had this problem? Can they look up our repair records?

We are trying to avoid paying for the repair and not getting our money back.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:58 PM
BTW, this is our family's only car, so it needs to be reliable.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
My 2 cents: Have the repair done from an independent Nissan mechanic (work seems similar to a timing belt change, does not require removal of the engine or replacement of any major components), it should be MUCH cheaper than what the stealership is charging and they'll do the same job.
After changing so many gaskets and having the mechanic go through and inspect everything you can be pretty sure you're not going to have any issues with that part of the engine again which is more than can be said about any other used car.

If the car is mint otherwise, I would keep driving it for a couple more years while saving up for a new family car, and get rid of it before it starts to need any major suspension work (ball joints, tie rods, bushings, + struts). My '04 G35's (unknown history) factory struts started clunking (completely blown) at around 115k winter 2018, and by 125k I had completely rebuilt the front suspension which is not something you want to pay somebody to do. Yours will likely last longer as I can guarantee your family car is treated much nicer than my beat Northeast G has ever been.

Last edited by cswlightning; 06-05-2018 at 02:10 PM.
InfinitiLuv (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 02:12 PM
We appreciate the advice. We are asking our local independent Infiniti mechanic for a quote. He has never done this job before and seems reluctant to take it on....

If we can recoup the cost of the repair, it would be helpful to kick the can down the road for a few months. It is helpful to know that 110K is a magic number.

We gave away our Honda Accord when it hit 160K miles. We understand that it was in use for two more years.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, just stating my experience with one similar older model of car. For all I know there could be something about that one particular repair (or engine) that makes it harder or more expensive to work on than our VQ35s. Good luck, maybe somebody else on here has some more detailed knowledge of your engine but being the "economy" engine of the range not many on this forum have much interest in it I'd wager.