The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Are the new Infiniti's really better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Saving money and not having a monthly car payment requires some financial discipline.
For the younger members reading these forums, once you get financially trapped in underwater vehicles with excessive monthly payments and wasting money on useless modifications it becomes a financial trap that is very difficult to get out of.

I only purchase brand new vehicles that come with all new parts and a warranty.

Cheers

Telcoman
I agree 100% with this logic, but, you are also on a forum with 20-something year olds that are just starting out in life, going to college, getting out into the real world, etc etc. Most aren't going to be able to go out and plop down the $30K+ a brandy new vehicle costs these days.

Plus, keep in mind this is an enthusiast's forum where people look to squeeze every 1/4HP out of their car they can, no matter what the cost. People drop their car to look good, not caring about the quality of the ride, and other mods that even I would question. It's just about perspective really.

But I agree 100% on other things becoming more important in life later on and not wanting to soak $$ into a depreciating asset. I like the fact that I bought a new(er) car, have a warranty on it, free service (which I haven't taken advantage of yet) and get 31MPG highway on 87 octane.

However, I don't agree on the octane thing. It does make a difference in my experience. I have an older fuel injected Mustang without a knock sensor, and if my octane level isn't correct, i'll hear that famous "BB's in tin can" sound. When getting dyno tuned, the more aggressive tunes (making more HP and torque) always required higher octane levels - some even beyond 93 octane. Right now, I couldn't run 87 octane if I wanted to, and it's even more critical in forced induction applications where detonation will kill an engine. Again, no knock sensor on my engine, so I really need to pay attention to octane vs tune levels. However, your everyday stock, daily driven luxucruiser, I'm sure you can run 87 no problem....you just won't get MAX horsepower. I think Ford rated their latest 5.0 engine 10HP lower with 87 octane vs 93. When you are making 430HP, 10HP is not a big deal. But to probably most people here, that 10HP is critical.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
When I was 16 I had a 275-300HP 5.0L Mustang. And guess what? I still have it. Didn't kill myself, and trust me I was very responsible with that car.

Anyway, back on topic. Anyway, call me old, but I tend to prefer the newer cars these days. I like the quiet cabins, and firm, but soft suspension, and all the modern advances. I've driven the new Q50 and a few of the last Q40's and didn't really see much of a difference outside of my requirements of commuting to/from work in traffic. Both were fun to drive and take on/off ramps with.

I've been away from G35's now for 7 months or so. I miss my car, but going to be frank here, I don't think I could own another one if I came across a very good deal unless it had practically 0 miles. It's just something about new cars that I prefer, which is ironic considering I have a 30 year old car in the garage.

"Better" is really relative here. What's better to you? What's better to me?

I'll be back in an Infiniti one day, but believe it or not, I'm really enjoying my new Taurus.
I do see your point there. Its all about preference. Some new cars do have some luxury features that are very convenient.

But there is something quite unique and different driving a good clean 6speed manual coupe like the G35. If I was rich and found a clean low mileage 07 G35 coupe 6spd, I would buy it in a heartbeat, over a nanny-equipped modern brand new car.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by telcoman
My days of driving old vehicles are long gone. Just thinking about my old 1940 Pontiac 3 speed column shift, my 1953 Studebaker 3 speed column shift, my 1955 Chevy 3 speed column shift, my 1953 Cadillac which was my last American car. My Volkswagen's, My Mazda's, My Lexus, I've never used any premium gasoline.
Waste of money in my opinion and has never had any effect on any of the engines in my vehicles. I've probably driven close to one million miles during my lifetime.

Saving money and not having a monthly car payment requires some financial discipline.
For the younger members reading these forums, once you get financially trapped in underwater vehicles with excessive monthly payments and wasting money on useless modifications it becomes a financial trap that is very difficult to get out of.

I only purchase brand new vehicles that come with all new parts and a warranty.

Cheers

Telcoman
To each his own I guess.

It is a strange thing if you choose savings over following manufacturer suggestions. Hell I've dropped $2k on a vacation, car parts, or home-related purchases in a few days. Saving a few hundred dollars on gas savings using regular vs premium gas is such a small thing in the grand scheme of things considering we spend way more on other purchases in life.

Everyone has their own principles, and there's nothing wrong with saving, just as there's nothing wrong with financing a car over buying it outright with cash. You gotta do what works for you.

I've purchased used vehicles cash with no issues and have never bought a brand new car because of the depreciation hit. A good used car e.g. CPO will work just as good as a new one. I had a couple of used Toyota's I bought that have never had any issues whatsoever, same as a new car. Anyway, I digress...

Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
To each his own I guess.

It is a strange thing if you choose savings over following manufacturer suggestions. Hell I've dropped $2k on a vacation, car parts, or home-related purchases in a few days. Saving a few hundred dollars on gas savings using regular vs premium gas is such a small thing in the grand scheme of things considering we spend way more on other purchases in life.

Everyone has their own principles, and there's nothing wrong with saving, just as there's nothing wrong with financing a car over buying it outright with cash. You gotta do what works for you.

I've purchased used vehicles cash with no issues and have never bought a brand new car because of the depreciation hit. A good used car e.g. CPO will work just as good as a new one. I had a couple of used Toyota's I bought that have never had any issues whatsoever, same as a new car. Anyway, I digress...
Buying a car new is a terrible idea anyways unless you have stupid money. Wait a year or two and get it for a fraction of the price

Old 12-01-2016, 02:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think so, I worked at an Infiniti dealer doing detailing while in school earlier this year. IMO the quality control is lacking, especially on the QX60. It wasn't uncommon to find paint defects, poor fitting trim pieces etc on brand new cars.

Obviously Infiniti and every other manufacturer needs to follow industry trends and changes to stay competitive, but the Q50 with the 2.0T and/or DAS.... It drives like a Camry, actually the Camry might be more fun to drive. For a company with the slogan "Empower the drive" that is disappointing. When the G35 and G37 were new cars a base model variant were a engaging and fun to drive car.

The QX80 and QX50 are both severely outdated and are begging for a new generation or replacement IMO. The QX80 limited and the extended and refreshed QX50 are a step in the right direction but just simply the cars are old and stagnant, why buy it new when you can basically the exact same car used at a fraction of the cost? If cost isn't your concern I don't see any reason why you would choose either over the competitions offerings. You could say this about the QX70 as well.

My time ended at Infiniti when I finished school and got a job in my field, right before the new Q60S and QX30 hit stores so I can't comment on them because I haven't driven them. Although, I was at the dealer the other day for something and got to take a peek at both and from first impression both seemed to be a step in the right direction.

All I will say about the Q70 is that the one we had was at the dealer is that it sat on the lot longer than I was employed at Infiniti for.

TL;DR: No they are not, the new products show promise but as a whole I don't think they are better cars compared to when the old products were new. Hell, some of the products have barely changed since the old products were new cars.

Keep in mind these are just MY opinions and not facts, they are not right or wrong, just what I think.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
To each his own I guess.

You need to buy at least one new car in your life. There's no feeling like it.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
the feeling of saving sometimes tens of thousands when buying used significantly outweighs the initial surge of fleeting excitement you may find buying a new car.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I agree 100% with this logic, but, you are also on a forum with 20-something year olds that are just starting out in life, going to college, getting out into the real world, etc etc. Most aren't going to be able to go out and plop down the $30K+ a brandy new vehicle costs these days.

Plus, keep in mind this is an enthusiast's forum where people look to squeeze every 1/4HP out of their car they can, no matter what the cost. People drop their car to look good, not caring about the quality of the ride, and other mods that even I would question. It's just about perspective really.

But I agree 100% on other things becoming more important in life later on and not wanting to soak $$ into a depreciating asset. I like the fact that I bought a new(er) car, have a warranty on it, free service (which I haven't taken advantage of yet) and get 31MPG highway on 87 octane.

However, I don't agree on the octane thing. It does make a difference in my experience. I have an older fuel injected Mustang without a knock sensor, and if my octane level isn't correct, i'll hear that famous "BB's in tin can" sound. When getting dyno tuned, the more aggressive tunes (making more HP and torque) always required higher octane levels - some even beyond 93 octane. Right now, I couldn't run 87 octane if I wanted to, and it's even more critical in forced induction applications where detonation will kill an engine. Again, no knock sensor on my engine, so I really need to pay attention to octane vs tune levels. However, your everyday stock, daily driven luxucruiser, I'm sure you can run 87 no problem....you just won't get MAX horsepower. I think Ford rated their latest 5.0 engine 10HP lower with 87 octane vs 93. When you are making 430HP, 10HP is not a big deal. But to probably most people here, that 10HP is critical.
This is an interesting thread.

One of the important points I was trying to make especially to the young twenty somethings that may think it is smart to spend vast sums of money on ten + year old vehicles without thinking of what those wasted sums might be worth twenty or thirty years from now. All it takes is one unfortunate accident even if not your fault to render that vehicle worthless. No insurance company will care that you only used premium gasoline, expensive synthetic oil, expensive modifications or care how much horsepower you added.

In case many have not noticed the days of spending 30 or forty years at one employer are largely gone. When I first entered the work force many years ago there were people retiring with fifty years of service.
Today as many reach their fifties many companies are forcing out their highest earning employees in order to hire younger inexperienced people at half the price. They no longer care that these new employees really don't know what they are doing.

Having the tens thousands of dollars that might have been wasted twenty or thirty years ago that has grown into a considerable sum is known as F U money.
It can be used to start your own business or enjoy a comfortable retirement.

Just the savings on using regular gasoline vs premium, bringing your own lunch to work and making your own morning coffee instead of Starbucks are good starting points.

And Tex

I'm soon leaving on my next cruise.

Telcoman

Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
the feeling of saving sometimes tens of thousands when buying used significantly outweighs the initial surge of fleeting excitement you may find buying a new car.
I haven't bought a used car in the last twenty years. I just can't get past the fact that I don't know how it was broken in, or how it was driven or cared for before I got it. It has served me well, I have NEVER had a major car failure in the last twenty years.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Name:  offtopic-thread.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  15.0 KB

I have an 06 coupe 6MT and a 97 240SX w/ an SR swap. The S14 is fun and cheaper to mod, the G is way more comfortable, both have over 200k miles on them. I can see keeping the 240 for years, the G, not so much.

I can only imagine how advanced a Q60 would be, 10 year jumps in models & technology could be interesting. Haven't bothered to drive one yet since no 6MT is offered.

I actually chose a used G35 over a new G37 back in 2009/2010 because I liked the G35 better. I like new cars, but have had good luck with used cars in the sweet spot of 3-5 years old with 30k-ish miles on them for roughly 50% off the original sticker price.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Mignav01
Buying a car new is a terrible idea anyways unless you have stupid money. Wait a year or two and get it for a fraction of the price
+1

Its a double edge sword. If you can afford it, buying brand new is great because you get a fresh vehicle with warranty and you know that no previous owner dogged the car. Downside is you get hit with a depreciation as soon as you drive it off the lot, and as much as 19% in the first year. That's hard to accept, esp when you drop $30-40k on a new car these days. And as they say, cars are one of the worst investments you can buy.

I've driven plenty of new cars and even drove a brand new G35 coupe 6mt back in 2005 when it first came out when a friend of mine bought one and let me drive his car. Buying a new car (or having one) does not excite me as much. It would be the same as if the car was 1-2yrs old anyway. Sure it is nice to have something shiny and new, but from a financial standpoint, its terrible unless you really have a lot of disposable income.

On a side note, I did buy my first motorcycle brand new a decade ago when I first started riding. So I know the feeling of owning a new vehicle. I just didn't like dropping like 10G's on it...

Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
+100. I've always bought cars that are 5-10yrs old. The key is to find a good used car from a person that took care of the car. Or just be smart when you shop around. My father always bought CPO cars with warranty remaining and he's never had issues.

In fact I bought his old 2003 Camry when he decided to get another car. That thing ran like it was brand new, and I paid only 25% of its original value.

I haven't bought a used car in the last twenty years. I just can't get past the fact that I don't know how it was broken in, or how it was driven or cared for before I got it. It has served me well, I have NEVER had a major car failure in the last twenty years.
Buying a used car does take risk, lots of research, and a little bit of guts than just going in and buying a new car. (New cars don't always mean no problems anyway, hence why there are many recalls and issues even in newer vehicles). One of my coworkers bought a brand new Nissan SUV last year and the engine broke down 3 times on her.

But I do get the point of buying new. Its just not a move many people make for financial and personal reasons.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
I agree with that man
I see where you're coming from

Old 12-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I'll be excited to buy an Infiniti after graduation once my small amount of school loans left are paid off. Only problem is that I may only be able to buy the I4 turbo Q60 ! The V6 turbo is around 42k+ other costs.

And FWIW, I would recommend trying other octane levels to see what gets good gas mileage and performance. I tried the 87/89 routes and unfortunately lost a significant amount of mileage per tank (drop in MPG).

Not the same story for other vehicles though... this one gets the same performance and mileage on 87 as it does on 93 pump gas, I checked on a dyno.

Attached Thumbnails Are the new Infiniti's really better?-photo194.jpg  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I'll be excited to buy an Infiniti after graduation once my small amount of school loans left are paid off. Only problem is that I may only be able to buy the I4 turbo Q60 ! The V6 turbo is around 42k+ other costs.

And FWIW, I would recommend trying other octane levels to see what gets good gas mileage and performance. I tried the 87/89 routes and unfortunately lost a significant amount of mileage per tank (drop in MPG).

Not the same story for other vehicles though... this one gets the same performance and mileage on 87 as it does on 93 pump gas, I checked on a dyno.
Did you actually do the math when you say you got worse mileage? Cuz usually you'd get a little better mileage cuz there's more additives in premium that obviously don't store as much energy as gasoline. Of course I live in CA so our EPA gas may be different.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer

Looking at the I4 huh? Good luck with it man. I'm tempted to buy something new after graduation, buuuut... I have some money set aside that I think will be used on a supra...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.