The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Will the VQ35 engine burn oil after rebuild ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the VQ35 engine burn oil after rebuild ?

hello everyone ..... want to know after rebuild the engine will the issue of burning oil in this type of engine still exit or if it will burn much less .....or it will not , just because the nature of the engine in general ? example of replace new (NPR) pistons rings, rods and new (Wiseco) pistons .....

My G35 is at 155,xxx miles ,been burning oil seen i got it at 93k mile , thinking getting a G35 manual or is300 manual ..... i know lexus are extremely well made car but the fun of driving the G i don't want to give up , with the burning oil left me thinking of other car and now my Wife want an FX35 also ....

Please let me know what your input

Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Running good oil is very important. I have good luck with pennzoil, not mobile 1. I have been running amsoil for 3 years now, it's even better. Buy it online off their web site with a nice amsoil filter. It comes quick and it's affordable if you buy it two gallons at a time.

The harder you drive, the more oil will be burned/ lost.

If your engine is old, there is more blowby. This causes an increase in air velocity and subsequently volumetric flow rate through the PCV system, which causes it to pull more oil vapors and mist from the crankcase along with many other issues like higher likelihood of valve cover leaks.

Best way to deal with this is to have a fresh engine (this is all assuming no turbos) so the rings are fresh and tight. Fresh seals and valve covers. Use the oil viscosity the builder recommends per bearing clearance. I use amsoil 5W-30 in my stock longblock with 35k miles.

Vent the PCV system to atmosphere. Plug the plenum.

If you drive hard, some will be lost in the PCV system. If not, you shouldn't burn much of anything.

The FX35 with the VQ35HR is amazing btw.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by yosip1115

If you drive hard, some will be lost in the PCV system. If not, you shouldn't burn much of anything.
Is this something that actually should be done? I read somewhere that the intake should be pulling (vacuum) that pressure out to keep the engine running healthy and what-not. I feel that venting it would harm the motor, no? I definitely should invest in a legitimate catch-can but the only functional ones seem to be crazy pricey. Is this a safe alternative to that? Sorry to thread-jack!

Old 02-17-2017, 02:03 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Conissah
Is this something that actually should be done? I read somewhere that the intake should be pulling (vacuum) that pressure out to keep the engine running healthy and what-not. I feel that venting it would harm the motor, no? I definitely should invest in a legitimate catch-can but the only functional ones seem to be crazy pricey. Is this a safe alternative to that? Sorry to thread-jack!
Nothing wrong with venting the PCV to atmosphere. You actually pick up a bit of power too. Not sure how noticable in would be in the G because it already has decent power, but it makes a humongous difference in my Honda insight

The harmful thing is plugging the PCV completely (no crank vent), so the you get condensation and build up of acidic oil vapor in the crank case. You will not pass smog with a non-working PCV system tho. It's really just a smog thing.

The following users liked this post:
TL2G35x (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Running good oil is very important. I have good luck with pennzoil, not mobile 1. I have been running amsoil for 3 years now, it's even better. Buy it online off their web site with a nice amsoil filter. It comes quick and it's affordable if you buy it two gallons at a time.

If your engine is old, there is more blowby. This causes an increase in air velocity and subsequently volumetric flow rate through the PCV system, which causes it to pull more oil vapors and mist from the crankcase along with many other issues like higher likelihood of valve cover leaks.

Best way to deal with this is to have a fresh engine (this is all assuming no turbos) so the rings are fresh and tight. Fresh seals and valve covers. Use the oil viscosity the builder recommends per bearing clearance. I use amsoil 5W-30 in my stock longblock with 35k miles.

The FX35 with the VQ35HR is amazing btw.
I have try all "plenun spacer . oil catch can , vent PCV ,running all kind of oil " mobile 1 , castrol , pennzoil , even shell rosella T6! 5w-40 but now running Mobile Special 10w-30 .

What year of the FX come with High Rev engine ?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Losing a bit of oil is normal after an engine rebuild until those new rings have seated! Using more after break in only says the rebuild wasn't done right...Gary

The following users liked this post:
TL2G35x (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Losing a bit of oil is normal after an engine rebuild until those new rings have seated! Using more after break in only says the rebuild wasn't done right...Gary
Maybe my engine still in breaking in

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.