G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Security-Alarm

Old 05-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Security-Alarm

Got my 2004 6mt back from the shop yesterday after almost losing it to a thief. The car was a week old when broken. The would be theif put a hole through the door and busted the lock and handle...A-sh-le.

Anyway the body shop did a great job on the car, but it leaves me with a question.

I was checking the car over when i started to test the window and alarm functions. After activating the alarm on the key fob what would it take to set the alarm off? I activate the alarm and put my key in the door, turn it, and open and the alarm doesn't go off. Same when activated from the inside and simply pull the handle. Is my alarm working properly? Is this simply because the key has a microchip in it? Would appreciate some feedback before I accuse the body shop of screwing it up.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
WRAH
Re: G35 Security-Alarm

Pretty sure this is normal. The car just things your in it, and you have the keys. OR you not waiting for the alarm to arm.

A better test would be to put your windows down get out and lock the car. Wait a little bit and reach in and open the door. Your alarm should go off then!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murray
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

Old 05-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Z2G

there has been a couple posts from a while back concerning the factory alarm and the issue of theft due to this "weakness". as is, the factory alarm will only go off if the door or hood is opened while the alarm is engaged. the keyfob or the key controls the alarm.

i know that many complained about this weakness in the past. however, our cars do have the chip immobilizer system so having the car actually stolen would be pretty difficult--only way is for a pro to bypass the chip or to actually tow the car on a flatbed. to improve the factory alarm, you can install a motion sensor--the dyi can be found on this forum. i did it myself and it's very easy and costs only about $25.

for anyone with aftermarket wheels or an aftermarket soundsystem, i recommend getting an aftermarket alarm if the stock alarm weakness concerns you. either way, thieves will always be able to bypass any alarm system--stock or aftermarket. that's what insurance is for.....

Old 05-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The 'microchip' just sends a very weak signal from it. The signal is only picked up at the column and is interperted by the ECU. If the signal is valid it will let the car start. There are no receivers in the door lock cylinder.

Kevin
----------------------------------------------------------------
04 Diamond Graphite Coupe - FULLY loaded
Windows up with OEM Remote
RE Short Shifter // Z Tube

Old 05-10-2004, 08:06 PM

This explains why when today I had a duplicate made it would unlock the door, would fit in the ignition, would even turn the ignition but the car wouldn't turn over. I guess I have to get an extra set of keys from the dealer?? Ouch, that's gonna cost $$$

Nate

Old 05-10-2004, 08:11 PM

Try not to do that again or elese you may find you will be making a trip to the dealer for a whole new reason!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------