G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Kumho tires supposed to be noisy ?? Or is the stealership guy just lying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kumho tires supposed to be noisy ?? Or is the stealership guy just lying?

First, my car(06 coupe) has been making this unbearable tire noise in the front and I got it checked out at the good years and it turns out, the fronts tires were worn out unevenly and very severely. They also told me the alignment was extensively off. I fixed it and got the new tires for the front and the noise actually is still there.

It is so severe to make me wonder if a car that's originally worth 40k should do this at all with this low of a mile(38k). The noise is just constant and it's always there and I have to crank up my audio volume if I want to listen to my music.

I thought I've had enough, so I called the dealer and I scheduled an appointment and told him that the good year guy said the only other place to look at is the wheel bearing. But like someone on this forum mentioned and the stealership service guy pointed out, wheel bearing problem will have a completely different noise from roaring tire noise.

The service guy and I went out for a little drive and the guy says that this is completely normal and he says it's probably the tires that I am using or the tires are just not balanced right. I am using KUMHO ECSTA SPT KU31. He says that kumho's are usually made of coarser material than other tires and tread grooves are thicker than other so they make more noises even though they had longer tread usage.

Has anyone used these sets of tires or are using right now? Do they make unusually loud road noise so that everyone in the car would notice that the car is just too loud?? I means, I put on a brand new tire and it sounds worse than a cheap *** car you can get for 10k new, like stripped out hyundai accent or versa.

If anyone can comment about your car's noise with or without kumho tires, it would help me.

BTW, they gave me a g37x loaner and the noise level difference was just day and night. The G37x had almost no noise and it almost felt like a lexus. When I got my coupe back, I felt like driving a truck with busted engine.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
**** yea kumho ecstas are noisy

Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got Kumhos. they are noisy. But not that unbearable

Old 11-07-2009, 07:43 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I've had 2 sets of Kuhmos and they are not bad at all. I wore the first set down past the wear bars and they still were fairly quiet. Bought some coupe 19's with used Falken 452's and the front was so loud I was embarrassed to drive the car. The tires were badly cupped and sounded like a 4X4.

Replaced them with Kuhmo's and the difference was night and day. I think you have another problem that needs to be found.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
How's your front alignment? A "good" alignment to some shops aren't really that great...

Yea, Kumhos are loud tires as are Falkens.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Mine isnt loud at all

Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Worn wheel bearings do sound a lot like tire noise. Your wheel bearings are worn if the tone of the "tire" noise changes when you apply the brakes lightly or as you go around a wide corner.
I have the The Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum and they are very quiet.

Last edited by TheG35Dude; 11-10-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
I had them before, the best tires for the money and i will get them again with my next set of wheels.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I guess there is some other underlying causes that contributes to this noise. No matter how well paved the road is, there's just some noise that comes from the tire and I am just not sure what the heck is wrong with it. The guy at infiniti who rode with me said it's just normal, but with the common sense I have, it's not supposed to sound like that, but he was pretty damn sure that the wheel bearings do not sound like that.

Speaking of which, I noticed that the car was a little louder when I am making sharp turns. Is this wheel bearing problem? I think I read somewhere that if you have wheel bearing issues, it would become louder when turning or changing lanes.
I guess I will just have to take the car back to the dealer and demand them to have it looked at. Before I do that, I might take it back to Good year's and see what they have to say since I got the alignment from them.

I don't know if this might be relevant, the steering is a little shaky when I go 70~80mph and it sure doesn't feel normal. Would this be coming from unbalanced wheel? or alignment?

Glad my warranty is still good till next year, otherwise, I would have to spend money out of my pocket for this ****.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 PM
My Toyo tires are really quiet!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by 856-ZIC
My Toyo tires are really quiet!
I believe any tire should be relatively quieter than mine. I am now confused if the car is meant to be this loud just because it's sporty, or there's some hidden issue with it. Apparently, the car had not been wrecked before, so I am thinking that it shouldn't be a huge issue if it had any. Keeping my fingers crossed. I want to cruise quietly and comfortably.!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 PM
See, I told you that if it was a wheel bearing noise it would've been a different sound . So the stealership still hasn't figured it out yet huh? I honestly think it's the tires. Try getting Toyo Proxes and see how they feel. I HATE THIS STUPID **** FEATHERING CUPPING CRAP!!!! This should not be happening to my entry-level G.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I am just not ready yet to give up hopes on my newly bought kumho's. If all else fails, I guess I will get new set of tires.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Do you know if your set of Kumhos are soft tires?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 AM
they are whatever. I can bare through them but than again im listen to music or windows open.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kumho tires supposed to be noisy ?? Or is the stealership guy just lying?