Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

DIY Cam Position Sensor Easy Version

Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Nicoclub has the FSM, search: nicoclub FSM

Old 04-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You! Here's My Contribution FWIW

My 2003 G sedan first randomly shut off in a heavy rain, as luck would have it as soon as I pulled into discount tire to replace my rear tires. Dashlights: I first got a BRAKE light on just before/as it died. Then on came Slip, VDC OFF, and SES. It restarted but it turned over several times first (enough times to elicit a little "Uhoh"). Once restarted it idled fine, and only the BRAKE light when off. After having the tires changed, which was approximately an hour, it started normally, and only the SES light was on. My G spent all day the next day resting up and drying out thinks to a cool dry wind. When I restarted her the next day all lights were off and all seemed normal. I drove her for about 40 miles without a problem. I thought it was do to an exposed broken sensor on my A/C condenser which allows me to have A/C back when it rains (I had the A/C on at the time of failure). Well low and behold later that night, which was dry and clear, without warning she died right in the middle of a busy intersection, with the same sequence of lights listed above. I put her in neutral and she restarted again with much hesitation. This time SLIP, VDC OFF, and SES, stayed on. I did my research here and "got in the Zone" and had a P0345 code pulled. I drove to work (25 miles in heavy traffic) fine. After work all the same lights were still on and he died on the freeway at 60 mph, but again restarted after a few tries. About 20 miles later it died again. I replaced the "Driver's Side" Cam Pos Sensor. It got dark on me by the time I got to the sensor. I couldn't release the plug in the dark, so I stopped until daylight so I didn't run the risk of breaking anything. First thing in the morning I was in a rush to get done and get to work, and I had a hell of a time trying to release the connector. After a half hour of pushing and pulling I went inside to rest my back and review the instructions provided on this thread. When I went back at it I realized the connector has to be squeezed like a spring loaded button not pushed like many a connector. When I did this it easily released, DUH! Got everything put back together spend another 15 minutes working on resetting the SES, that was a pain. Definitely needed my stop watch app on my phone. So I only replaced the "driver side" angled sensor that was throwing the P0345, and Here I am 1 month and over 1,000 miles later and not a single reoccurrence. Thank you for taking the time with providing such detail instructions on this!!!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to contribute my experience.
I replaced the cam sensor on bank 2 in literally 15 minutes. While I absolutely appreciate all write-ups, it is unnecessary to take off anything on the intake side.
Remove the plastic engine cover, remove the 10mm bolt attaching the bracket on top of the manifold opposite the intake plenum. Lean over passenger side fender and with left hand feel(you cannot see it) for the sensor and place a small 10mm crescent wrench on the bolt. Bam. Happy servicing.

The following users liked this post:
Alexus-Kia (06-07-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by coolguy
I replaced the cam sensor on bank 2 in literally 15 minutes. While I absolutely appreciate all write-ups, it is unnecessary to take off anything on the intake side.
Remove the plastic engine cover, remove the 10mm bolt attaching the bracket on top of the manifold opposite the intake plenum. Lean over passenger side fender and with left hand feel(you cannot see it) for the sensor and place a small 10mm crescent wrench on the bolt. Bam. Happy servicing.
Yes, Bank 2(passenger side) can be easily accessed without removing anything. Bank 1(driver side) is another story IMO. Some people claim they were able to get to it without removing the intake or TB but in my experience, its not possible.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by GreenPenguin
Yes, Bank 2(passenger side) can be easily accessed without removing anything. Bank 1(driver side) is another story IMO. Some people claim they were able to get to it without removing the intake or TB but in my experience, its not possible.
Driver's side, bud.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenPenguin
Bank one is on the side of cylinder one. Passenger.

Bank two is on the side of cylinder 2. Drivers side. You can reach it if you have long arms.

Alexus-Kia (06-07-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coolguy
This. Taking off the engine cover actually took longer than replacing the sensor.

Very easy fix, glad I saw how easy it was in this thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Unhappy Cam Sensor Issue?

Hey..

I'm having some issues with my 2005 G35X where it stalls at a red light when in gear, idles to about 500RPM (cold/warm), takes 5-10+ cranks to start when warm... Based on this thread it appears to be the Camshaft Sensor/s.

I took out the sensor's and I see markings on the sensors (like indicated in the diagram), can someone tell me if this means my Camshaft Sensor/s are shot/Chipped?

I ordered two replacement sensors from Amazon, does anyone know or have experience with Beck Arnley?

Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 180-0491 Cam Angle Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 180-0491 Cam Angle Sensor: Automotive

Amazon Amazon

Any/all help is much much appreciated!

Thanks in advance....

Attached Thumbnails DIY Cam Position Sensor Easy Version-cam_sensor_1.jpg   DIY Cam Position Sensor Easy Version-cam_sensor_2.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I never noticed those markings actually, well i have an 03 auto coupe and i had mine stall and it was my sensor, my rpm was low and would take long to start, i bought the oem sensors for 122$ for 1!, they both cost the same, usually if u but after market ones they tend not to last, i fixed mine yesterday and feel the normal pick up again when i put my foot on the pedal, connect the computer to see if its bank 1 or bank 2 instead of buying both at the dealer, well yeah the first post on this thread really helped me out

Old 05-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Chipped

Originally Posted by Jeffreybonilla5
I never noticed those markings actually, well i have an 03 auto coupe and i had mine stall and it was my sensor, my rpm was low and would take long to start, i bought the oem sensors for 122$ for 1!, they both cost the same, usually if u but after market ones they tend not to last, i fixed mine yesterday and feel the normal pick up again when i put my foot on the pedal, connect the computer to see if its bank 1 or bank 2 instead of buying both at the dealer, well yeah the first post on this thread really helped me out
Thanks for repsonding Jeffrey... In photo 4 it mentions to visually check the sensor for chipping, which is why I was asking. Not sure if it's anything, but it nearly looks to be so based on the image I provided. I'm thinking this may be a sign the sensing magnet/s are damaged and therefor reporting incorrectly causing the issues I'm having. Make sense?

Thanks, is there any where else to purchase the CAM Sensor besides the actual dealership?

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Cam Position Sensor Easy Version-photo-4.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Totally didnt even see that lmao!, i still have mine imma go check haha, well ur problem sounds just like mine and ur lights stay on too like the VdC and check engine and other stuff too, well u can buy them any where but its the part where it's more likely to break or not work right after a couple of months compared to the dealer uk

Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
To be sure that is why u check the ses code. It's will tell u exactly. I first bought mine from orielys out of convenience but it didn't work well. Went OEM right after. Bought online was almost the same price as orielys anyway. They go for less then $100 at online OEM dealers

Old 05-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Checked the code, says it's the Crankshaft Sensor, went to AutoZone and picked up the part for $39 (Duralast w/lifetime warranty). Works like a charm and so far no issues with multiple test runs.

Was pretty easy to switch out as it's under the car so no fiddling around the motor.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Help!

Sup fellas. I have an 05 g35 rev up and recently got the code p0345 bank 2 (Vdc, ses, slip). Therefore I purchased the angled sensor that goes underneath the throttle body. After following the instructions and finally getting to the sensor, it turns out it is not angled. I try putting the angled sensor and it would not fit the harness. Should I check the passenger side? And is this normal. Thanks

Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 AM
Here is a diagram that i think would help most people on where to locate the sensors, especially for the p1084 error. Page 101

http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/sedan...pdf#E.B0045129

Julian'sG_617 (06-04-2014)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Cam Position Sensor Easy Version