Show Your Support Become A Premier Member


Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Only Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Go Back   G35Driver > General Discussion > G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to G35Driver.com!
Welcome to G35Driver.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join G35Driver.com community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Mark2K8's Avatar
Registered User
Points: 4,596, Level: 43
Points: 4,596, Level: 43 Points: 4,596, Level: 43 Points: 4,596, Level: 43
Level up: 23%, 154 Points needed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 1.1%
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
2005 Infiniti G35
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Thanks: 89
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
iTrader: (5)
Walmart Headlight Restoration

For the last couple weeks ive been looking for a way to make my headlights clear again. At night they look like absolute ****, with yellow stains and fog (during the day they look clean tho). I just found out tho walmart has a headlight restoration service for $50 that lasts for ~2 years. Was wondering anybody try them? They do a good job?

EDIT: Bought Turtle Wax instead. See Post#16 for results and info.
__________________
2005 DG G35 Coupe

Last edited by Mark2K8; 05-06-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered User
Points: 3,171, Level: 34
Points: 3,171, Level: 34 Points: 3,171, Level: 34 Points: 3,171, Level: 34
Level up: 81%, 29 Points needed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 17.1%
Activity: 17.1% Activity: 17.1% Activity: 17.1%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 937
Thanks: 14
Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2K8 View Post
For the last couple weeks ive been looking for a way to make my headlights clear again. At night they look like absolute ****, with yellow stains and fog (during the day they look clean tho). I just found out tho walmart has a headlight restoration service for $50 that lasts for ~2 years. Was wondering anybody try them? They do a good job?
Seriously, try the $8 kit from autozone before you have a professional do it(especially a walmart one lol). It made my headlights look brand new!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Registered User
Points: 1,837, Level: 25
Points: 1,837, Level: 25 Points: 1,837, Level: 25 Points: 1,837, Level: 25
Level up: 37%, 63 Points needed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0.3%
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=220968_0_0_
I used this myself a few weeks ago worked great was really happy with the result. I did a non drill headlight restoration kit and it was a pain and didnt work 1/4 as well. The 3m kit is the way to go and you can get it at autozone.
__________________
2005 G sedan AT premium package only mods thus far v1 w. mikes mount and stealth cord z tube, coming soon spacer, rev up air box, double din
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered User
Points: 6,073, Level: 50
Points: 6,073, Level: 50 Points: 6,073, Level: 50 Points: 6,073, Level: 50
Level up: 62%, 77 Points needed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (10)
Send a message via AIM to JoeR45
I'm cringing just thinking of the idea of walmart doing anything to a car. Try what the others have said. The 3m kit works great with some elbow grease. Ive restored several cars headlights with it.
__________________
06 MT|Z-TUBE & JWT POP CHARGER|CLEAR CORNERS|WHITE LEDS IN CORNERS AND HEADS|25K HEADLIGHTS|2.5K FOGS l CARBON FIBER ENGINE COVER|RHD BATTERY COVER|GREDDY COOLING PLATE|APEXI N1 EXHAUST|RICHIES FSB|MD 5/16 SPACER l
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Infiniti Chica's Avatar
Registered User
Points: 6,433, Level: 52
Points: 6,433, Level: 52 Points: 6,433, Level: 52 Points: 6,433, Level: 52
Level up: 42%, 117 Points needed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rio de Jeneiro or East Coast
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 159
Thanked 86 Times in 61 Posts
iTrader: (2)
The main ingredient in headlight cleaners is a polish... no different than toothpaste. Just take 1/2 teaspoon of toothpaste and rub it onto your headlight with light pressure. Use a moist towel and rub it in circular motion. The headlight should be done in 30-45 seconds, then just move to the next one with another 1/2 teaspoon of toothpaste. Take a clean, wet cloth and wipe off the toothpaste once you're doe, then rinse the headlight very well, dry, and apply a good sealant like Collinite 845. I also apply Collinite 845 to my windshield every year just before winter sets in. You should be good for 1 year at $.15 max.

I've been doing this for the last 10 years and it works as well as the expensive materials.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 PM
AZ-G's Avatar
Registered User
Points: 19,077, Level: 87
Points: 19,077, Level: 87 Points: 19,077, Level: 87 Points: 19,077, Level: 87
Level up: 46%, 273 Points needed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 0.8%
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: As the name states... AZ
Posts: 613
Thanks: 57
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2K8 View Post
For the last couple weeks ive been looking for a way to make my headlights clear again. At night they look like absolute ****, with yellow stains and fog (during the day they look clean tho). I just found out tho walmart has a headlight restoration service for $50 that lasts for ~2 years. Was wondering anybody try them? They do a good job?
I'll be the oddball here and say yes...

Mine here in Az were looking very bad.

Had Wallyworld do mine ( only cost $35 here ) and they came out looking great.

Although, I will try one of the less expensive methods next time...
__________________
2013 FR-S / 2013 Dodge Challenger RT / 2011 ZX-10R
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Mark2K8's Avatar
Registered User
Points: 4,596, Level: 43
Points: 4,596, Level: 43 Points: 4,596, Level: 43 Points: 4,596, Level: 43
Level up: 23%, 154 Points needed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 1.1%
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
2005 Infiniti G35
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Thanks: 89
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADtotheA View Post
Seriously, try the $8 kit from autozone before you have a professional do it(especially a walmart one lol). It made my headlights look brand new!
I know, but it seems everyone recommends a different kit, and each kit has different reviews. One says it worked for him, one it doesn't. And I dont wanna spend $10 here and there for different kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxx_good View Post
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=220968_0_0_
I used this myself a few weeks ago worked great was really happy with the result. I did a non drill headlight restoration kit and it was a pain and didnt work 1/4 as well. The 3m kit is the way to go and you can get it at autozone.
Yea this was one of the ones I am considering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica View Post
The main ingredient in headlight cleaners is a polish... no different than toothpaste. Just take 1/2 teaspoon of toothpaste and rub it onto your headlight with light pressure. Use a moist towel and rub it in circular motion. The headlight should be done in 30-45 seconds, then just move to the next one with another 1/2 teaspoon of toothpaste. Take a clean, wet cloth and wipe off the toothpaste once you're doe, then rinse the headlight very well, dry, and apply a good sealant like Collinite 845. I also apply Collinite 845 to my windshield every year just before winter sets in. You should be good for 1 year at $.15 max.

I've been doing this for the last 10 years and it works as well as the expensive materials.
I tried toothpaste a couple months back when I first got my car. It had light fog. It kinda cleaned it up, but it returned to normal state a couple weeks later. I tried it again today, and it really ****ed up my headlights this time (not sure why). It fogged them up even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-G View Post
I'll be the oddball here and say yes...

Mine here in Az were looking very bad.

Had Wallyworld do mine ( only cost $35 here ) and they came out looking great.

Although, I will try one of the less expensive methods next time...
i think ima try it tomorrow. if im not happy with it ill tell them whats up
__________________
2005 DG G35 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Infiniti Chica's Avatar
Registered User
Points: 6,433, Level: 52
Points: 6,433, Level: 52 Points: 6,433, Level: 52 Points: 6,433, Level: 52
Level up: 42%, 117 Points needed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rio de Jeneiro or East Coast
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 159
Thanked 86 Times in 61 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2K8 View Post
I tried toothpaste a couple months back when I first got my car. It had light fog. It kinda cleaned it up, but it returned to normal state a couple weeks later. I tried it again today, and it really ****ed up my headlights this time (not sure why). It fogged them up even more.
I'm sorry to hear that. I've done mine on the old Volvo (X5) and now the G (X2 in 4 years) w/o incident. Did you wash them afterwards and then wax them with a couple of coats to protect them? Again, I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Registered User
Points: 1,268, Level: 19
Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19
Level up: 68%, 32 Points needed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 2.0%
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 123
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I used the 8 dollar walmart kit from turtle wax, worked wonders.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
johnnydarko's Avatar
Registered User
Points: 4,518, Level: 42
Points: 4,518, Level: 42 Points: 4,518, Level: 42 Points: 4,518, Level: 42
Level up: 84%, 32 Points needed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: dallas tx
Posts: 298
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: (9)
try wet sanding the headlight first, then using plastic polish and a buffer.
__________________
18s or 19s? lip or no lip? not sure what i want anymore
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered User
Points: 2,529, Level: 30
Points: 2,529, Level: 30 Points: 2,529, Level: 30 Points: 2,529, Level: 30
Level up: 53%, 71 Points needed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 0.9%
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
2005 Infiniti G35
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 487
Thanks: 43
Thanked 57 Times in 53 Posts
iTrader: (2)
drlotion69
Use some Meguiars M105 and a foam applicator. Takes some elbow grease but it works great! Heres a link: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...s-on-a-budget/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Points: 1,876, Level: 25
Points: 1,876, Level: 25 Points: 1,876, Level: 25 Points: 1,876, Level: 25
Level up: 76%, 24 Points needed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 4.4%
Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4%
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 198
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (1)
Mine were looking horrible too...I have an 03.....i almost bought a restore kit and reaqd somewhere just to use polish...

I had some wheel polish tried it...and they look brand new!!! sooo easy to do I was surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered User
Points: 1,495, Level: 21
Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21 Points: 1,495, Level: 21
Level up: 95%, 5 Points needed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Activity: 0.8%
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
2003 Infiniti G35
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I used Turtle headlight restore kit, from Walmart $8.
Click the image to open in full size.

Before:
Click the image to open in full size.

After:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Not the best pictures (taken on different days and such) but it gives you an idea. Cheaper to get a kit and do it yourself. I noticed a very big difference; they were much clearer afterwards. I was able to remove alot of the oxidation/yellowing on the surface of the lights.

Now to find a way to clear up the clearance strip..
__________________
'03 IP Coupe: Clear Corners/K&N/CF Grill/CF Rear Diffuser/Bluebat roof overlay
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Mark2K8's Avatar
Registered User
Points: 4,596, Level: 43
Points: 4,596, Level: 43 Points: 4,596, Level: 43 Points: 4,596, Level: 43
Level up: 23%, 154 Points needed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 1.1%
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
2005 Infiniti G35
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,244
Thanks: 89
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimaya View Post
I used Turtle headlight restore kit, from Walmart $8.
Click the image to open in full size.

Before:
Click the image to open in full size.

After:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Not the best pictures (taken on different days and such) but it gives you an idea. Cheaper to get a kit and do it yourself. I noticed a very big difference; they were much clearer afterwards. I was able to remove alot of the oxidation/yellowing on the surface of the lights.

Now to find a way to clear up the clearance strip..
Wow looks very good! Ill pick one up later this week! Thanks!
__________________
2005 DG G35 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered User
Points: 8,324, Level: 61
Points: 8,324, Level: 61 Points: 8,324, Level: 61 Points: 8,324, Level: 61
Level up: 58%, 126 Points needed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 1.7%
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%
2007 Infiniti G35
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Corona, SoCal
Posts: 5,501
Thanks: 254
Thanked 260 Times in 146 Posts
iTrader: (25)
Any polish should do the job. The important thing is to wax or seal the headlights afterwards.
__________________
'07 "IS-F Blue" Coupe | MotorDyne | Function & Form | SxExCx | Osiris | WORK | Alliance | 3.7 FD | TransGo | Vortech | ARC

TeamRareJDM
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 PM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Tags
charlotte, cleaner, clear, cost, g35, headlight, headlights, ingredient, kit, main, nc, repair, restoration, service, walmart


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2008, G35DRIVER.COM All Rights Reserved.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS


G35Driver.com | My350Z.com | MyG37.com | ZDriver.com |

Everyone's Contact Details