G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

help,,car wont start! :/ 2005 G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
a lot of fuses don't state their full function in a 4-5 letter name. I find in a lot of cars fuses marked things like "cooling fan" can keep a car from starting. I haven't investigated if any fuses responsible for cranking the motor over share any function with anything else but, ignition isn't really your problem. something related to the starter is. can't just go by names.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nelbarr
Well i checked all the fuses that state. "ignition"...The car turns on fine with a push start, this car was totally working fine 30 minutes before it did not want to start after i put things together.

Hmm if it runs fine when pushed started it has nothing to do with the oil in the cylinder. I agree check clutch safety switch and anything starter related key switch relay. Check for power waiting at the relay and leaving the relay when the key is in the start position if someone sends me a schematic i can tell you where and how to test I've had them go bad on other cars does the same as you described. Good luck man.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Since your car runs after a push start it can really only be a blown fuse or bad starter/solenoid. If its the starter, it is just a coincidence that it died when you changed your plugs. Have someone keep tapping the key to the start position while you tap the starter with a hammer. Firm but don't wale on it and break it. If it suddenly starts, your starter is bad. Other option is to remove it and have it tested but the hammer trick usually works and gives you a clear answer.

A fuse could have blown just because of the battery being reconnected. Rare but it happens for various reason.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 056speedcoupe
Hmm if it runs fine when pushed started it has nothing to do with the oil in the cylinder. I agree check clutch safety switch and anything starter related key switch relay. Check for power waiting at the relay and leaving the relay when the key is in the start position if someone sends me a schematic i can tell you where and how to test I've had them go bad on other cars does the same as you described. Good luck man.
Where can i find the clutch safety switch?
I will check for power waiting at the relay and leaving the relay when the key is in the start position, thanks. Listen to my video i recorded, if u have not seen on pg2, thanks.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
a lot of fuses don't state their full function in a 4-5 letter name. I find in a lot of cars fuses marked things like "cooling fan" can keep a car from starting. I haven't investigated if any fuses responsible for cranking the motor over share any function with anything else but, ignition isn't really your problem. something related to the starter is. can't just go by names.
Thanks, I will check all fuses and hope i find and fix the problem.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
Since your car runs after a push start it can really only be a blown fuse or bad starter/solenoid. If its the starter, it is just a coincidence that it died when you changed your plugs. Have someone keep tapping the key to the start position while you tap the starter with a hammer. Firm but don't wale on it and break it. If it suddenly starts, your starter is bad. Other option is to remove it and have it tested but the hammer trick usually works and gives you a clear answer.

A fuse could have blown just because of the battery being reconnected. Rare but it happens for various reason.
I will check ALL the fuses because i only checked the "ignition" fuses..I will also try the hammer trick on the started, thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I will check ALL the fuses because i only checked the "ignition" fuses..I will also try the hammer trick on the started, thanks.
It's best to use a short length of 2x4 or some similarly strong piece of wood and place one end on the starter and then give it a good solid tap on the other end with a hammer. Don't try to hammer directly on the starter or use a piece of metal as your vibration-transmitting material because that can do damage to the starter if you hit it too hard. The wood will absorb some of the shock but should also transmit enough vibration to the starter to free the solenoid up a bit if it is indeed stuck.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
It's best to use a short length of 2x4 or some similarly strong piece of wood and place one end on the starter and then give it a good solid tap on the other end with a hammer. Don't try to hammer directly on the starter or use a piece of metal as your vibration-transmitting material because that can do damage to the starter if you hit it too hard. The wood will absorb some of the shock but should also transmit enough vibration to the starter to free the solenoid up a bit if it is indeed stuck.

Gotchaaa...i will try that girst thing in the morning and get back to everyone for progress, thanks to all, i appreciate your help so far.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I am pretty sure the battery is still good because the car was running good 30 min prior to not starting and the lights work fine..no start up or no crank.
I removed the negative cable first then i removed the positive afterwards...at the end when putting battery together, I put the negative then positive cable.
While I'm not saying that is definitely the issue, that doesn't always mean the battery is still good. The stereo and lights take up a very small amount of charge, much less than it takes to start your car. The only way to be sure about the battery is to check the charge on the battery with a meter.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
While I'm not saying that is definitely the issue, that doesn't always mean the battery is still good. The stereo and lights take up a very small amount of charge, much less than it takes to start your car. The only way to be sure about the battery is to check the charge on the battery with a meter.
I took the battery to be looked at and the charge is good.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not sure on this particular car but typically if you follow the clutch pedle up under the dash you will see a plunger type switch that has two wires going to it. make sure when the pedle is in the plunger gets pushed in all the way. If you want to test it electrically you might wanna ask someone else but my assumption is it would be an open switch untill the peddle is pushed in then the switch would close telling the start circuit that it is indead safe to engage the starter. typically that switch is wired into the signal wire that goes to your start relay so if that is bad or miss adjusted you would get no power going to the signel side of your relay. but agian I do not now the G's that well yet as I have only had mine for a month. good luck!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by 056speedcoupe
not sure on this particular car but typically if you follow the clutch pedle up under the dash you will see a plunger type switch that has two wires going to it. make sure when the pedle is in the plunger gets pushed in all the way. If you want to test it electrically you might wanna ask someone else but my assumption is it would be an open switch untill the peddle is pushed in then the switch would close telling the start circuit that it is indead safe to engage the starter. typically that switch is wired into the signal wire that goes to your start relay so if that is bad or miss adjusted you would get no power going to the signel side of your relay. but agian I do not now the G's that well yet as I have only had mine for a month. good luck!
Oh ok, i will definately check that out too, thanks.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey guys, thanks all for your help..i finally found the problem..the alarm needed to reset.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do you reset an alarm?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by sum spicy rice
how do you reset an alarm?
There is a small push button behind the alarm that lights up under the steering wheel/ above the pedals..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help,,car wont start! :/ 2005 G35 coupe