G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

05 g35 overheating!!

Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 g35 overheating!!

Hey guys , bought my 05 coupe in April of this year. Had it for about 3 weeks and was waiting in line at a drive thru when my temp started rising, I immediately pulled into a space and checked my overflow tank.. It was empty.. I filled it with coolant and didn't have a problem since . About two weeks I was sitting at a red light and my temp started rising again. Pulled it over shut it off and checked my coolant, it was fine. I drove it home(had to pull over and shut off the car several times due to temp rising) and I figured it was the thermostat. Replaced the thermostat and filled the coolant in the overflow and the actual radiator . Took it for a drive and it got hot once again. I figured there was air in the lines from having the system opened. I read instructions on how to burp it, followed them. Sat my car on a hill filled my radiator left the cap off and started the car, turned my heat on full blast and let it run till it stopped bubbling . I did not have heat at first, after about 10 min I did . Drove it that night for about an hour and it was fine. Took it out the next day and the temp would rise a little above half way then go back down. Did this about 4 times . I tried burping it again and I again do not have hot air coming out of my vents. Do I still have air in my lines or is this something else? It's been driving me nuts not being able to figure it out any help would be awesome! (Yes I have checked my fans!)

Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Sounds like you still have air in the lines if you aren't getting heat. Have you felt the bottom radiator hose when the car is hot? If the bottom hose is cool when the engine is hot, your thermostat isn't opening (this can happen even if its new)

Also, have you pressure tested the radiator and cap? Sounds like you could have a hairline crack in the radiator or the seal on your cap could be bad. Check on parts surrounding the radiator for dried up, rust colored "spray" spots.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Sounds like you still have air in the lines if you aren't getting heat. Have you felt the bottom radiator hose when the car is hot? If the bottom hose is cool when the engine is hot, your thermostat isn't opening (this can happen even if its new)
Also, have you pressure tested the radiator and cap? Sounds like you could have a hairline crack in the radiator or the seal on your cap could be bad. Check on parts surrounding the radiator for dried up, rust colored "spray" spots.
He's probably correct about you're still having air in your radiator system and it wouldn't hurt to have the system pressure checked. What I disagree with is the color of fluid, it should be green (color of radiator fluid) not rust!
Gary

Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
He's probably correct about you're still having air in your radiator system and it wouldn't hurt to have the system pressure checked. What I disagree with is the color of fluid, it should be green (color of radiator fluid) not rust!
Gary
It SHOULD be, but not everyone maintains their vehicles the way they should, and it usually dries in a rust color.