G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Gas meter screwed up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gas meter screwed up

So my gas meter has been acting up the past 2 months. I live in West Covina and work in Downtown LA. I would fill up well sometimes, when I put gas sometimes the gas stops all of a sudden just a few gallons in and have to manually add gas as if I'm trying to top off. Well yesterday after work I was driving back home and got off the freeway to take the streets home because of traffic off the 60 and 605 and good thing I did because my car died. I was waiting at a light and all of a sudden the engine stopped. All the electronics worked I has just replaced the battery less than 6 months ago. I had just came back from getting new tires in Rosemead and I was like did they just **** with my car! I was so pissed cuz I just spent around $650 on tires and now my car isn't starting. Well I got the car towed back and I was talking to my dad about it and telling him how the gas meter was acting up.

He suggested I try to *** some gas and see if that the problem because the car would turn over. We went and filled up a gas can came back and boom it started. Thank god it was just gas. So my question is how hard or day is it to replace the gas meter that tell me how much gas is in my car. I don't want to try to have to remember when I need to fill up because the car said I still has 1/4 thank left and will always jump around when I'm driving to and from work. I hope they are not to expensive ad not to hard cuz I still to replace my power breaks on my truck....

Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If your gas gauge is not registering the correct amount of fuel you have you just have to do what's in the link. It's easier than you think and you can save yourself some cash. Try the link below:

https://g35driver.com/forums/general...tank-full.html

Old 08-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
like in andy's link it is really easy. just wait till you are low on gas again and try it. will prob take about 1 hr or so.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:39 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
The problem with the fuel pump shutting off on you automatically at the gas station before the tank is full is due to a different problem than your fuel gauge issue. Some G's had issues with the fuel filler neck not venting correctly during the fuel filling process, so the pump would incorrectly think that the tank was full when it wasn't full. There is a TSB to fix this issue, but you'd have to either do it yourself or pay someone to do it since none of the affected cars are under the original warranty anymore.

As far as the fuel gauge issue... Are you absolutely certain that your gas gauge isn't moving at all? It could just be that it's showing "E" because you're only filling up like 3 or 4 gallons worth at the pump from almost completely empty. We have pretty good sized fuel tanks... 20.5 gallons IIRC. If you put more than 7 or 8 gallons in the car since the time where it ran out of fuel on you, then it's probably actually a legit fuel gauge problem, and you should look into the suggestion that the guy earlier mentioned (The link he posted). The gauge will probably show "E" anytime it's below 4 or 5 gallons.

Did your fuel light come on indicating that you needed to fill up soon at the time when you ran out of gas? If that never came on, then it's also a good indicator that you have a legit fuel-level sensing problem.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
The problem with the fuel pump shutting off on you automatically at the gas station before the tank is full is due to a different problem than your fuel gauge issue. Some G's had issues with the fuel filler neck not venting correctly during the fuel filling process, so the pump would incorrectly think that the tank was full when it wasn't full. There is a TSB to fix this issue, but you'd have to either do it yourself or pay someone to do it since none of the affected cars are under the original warranty anymore.

As far as the fuel gauge issue... Are you absolutely certain that your gas gauge isn't moving at all? It could just be that it's showing "E" because you're only filling up like 3 or 4 gallons worth at the pump from almost completely empty. We have pretty good sized fuel tanks... 20.5 gallons IIRC. If you put more than 7 or 8 gallons in the car since the time where it ran out of fuel on you, then it's probably actually a legit fuel gauge problem, and you should look into the suggestion that the guy earlier mentioned (The link he posted). The gauge will probably show "E" anytime it's below 4 or 5 gallons.

Did your fuel light come on indicating that you needed to fill up soon at the time when you ran out of gas? If that never came on, then it's also a good indicator that you have a legit fuel-level sensing problem.

after it ran out of gad on me when the gauge said 1/4 left. i put in about 20 gallon. 2.8 gallons from a gas can i have. it turned on and than i went to put gas in my G and it filled up over 17 gallons of gas.