G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

A/R/S/L G35 Case Study

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 03:13 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
A/R/S/L G35 Case Study

I sometimes like to play this game when I'm stuck in traffic where I'll pick a random car and try to (without seeing the driver) guess what type of person is driving said car. Its pretty fun and I'm pretty good at it. To give an example: if I see a Mazda 3 wagon with a bike rack on top I may guess that its an early 30s-40 white male who's semi-hipsterish, probably wearing knee length shorts, nonprescription eyeglasses, a faded T-shirt and thinks he's cooler than he is. I'm right almost always on that one. You get the picture. Corvettes are almost always old white guys, lifted trucks are white guys with mustaches, etc, etc.

That being explained I think the G is one of the most ambiguous cars to own with the strongest stereotype being yer Jersey Guido's (which is still fairly strong), but the young scene has been taking over too. So basically I'm saying I see 60 yrs old white guys, 30 yrs old black guys, 17yr old Asian guys, 25 yrs old Mexican guys, and everything in between driving G35s, so its hard to pin. In fact the only thing I see little of still is women-folk. I'm not trying to make an age or race thing out of this, I simply think its interesting to know how much you have in common with people who you probably would normally not think you have much in common with.

32/W/M/SoCal

Old 09-13-2014, 04:53 AM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
I do the same thing with left lane bandits. When someone is hogging the left lane, driving slower than the speed limit, and will not get over for any reason, once even for a Highway patrol, and basically drive like the left lane is their place to be. I've been watching for years, as I pass them in the right lane, and about 80% of the time around Hampton Roads, it is a 35-45/B/F/VA. Simply an observation from years of passing on the right. I was just curious to who thought they were entitled to drive in the passing lane when several cars are stacked up behind them waiting patiently for them to get in the empty right lane and let them pass... Which never happens.

Anyway, not trying to hijack your thread, just that I do the same "try and guess who is driving what" based on experience, not stereotyping.

But for the G, I've noticed an alarming number of F driving them lately, almost to the point of "did I buy a chick car?" One dead giveaway is the flat black Plastidip wheels, always a young/M. But, as the early G Coupes with high miles are dipping into the sub $10K region, they are more easily in the grasp of the younger crowd that previously were driving Civics.

For my own G, first owner was a 25/W/F/MO, second a 75/W/M/VA, and now me, 44/W/M/VA.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
21/w/m/tx

Old 09-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hatchman
I do the same thing with left lane bandits. When someone is hogging the left lane, driving slower than the speed limit, and will not get over for any reason, once even for a Highway patrol, and basically drive like the left lane is their place to be. I've been watching for years, as I pass them in the right lane, and about 80% of the time around Hampton Roads, it is a 35-45/B/F/VA. Simply an observation from years of passing on the right. I was just curious to who thought they were entitled to drive in the passing lane when several cars are stacked up behind them waiting patiently for them to get in the empty right lane and let them pass... Which never happens.

Anyway, not trying to hijack your thread, just that I do the same "try and guess who is driving what" based on experience, not stereotyping.

But for the G, I've noticed an alarming number of F driving them lately, almost to the point of "did I buy a chick car?" One dead giveaway is the flat black Plastidip wheels, always a young/M. But, as the early G Coupes with high miles are dipping into the sub $10K region, they are more easily in the grasp of the younger crowd that previously were driving Civics.

For my own G, first owner was a 25/W/F/MO, second a 75/W/M/VA, and now me, 44/W/M/VA.
Wow, your cars first two owners I wouldn't expect! Haha I actually see more chicks driving Zs than Gs. Around here at least.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
69/B/Bi/Jpn

Old 09-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
69/B/Bi/Jpn
Sexy tiiiime

Old 09-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
It's funny how certain people with certain style cars always meet certain stereotypes such as:

-Lifted trucks/SUVs
-Old Caddies/Olds/etc with 30 inch chrome/color matched rims
-Riced out Civics/Eclipses/Neons/etc
-BMW drivers
-Subbies with a roof rack for every outdoor sport known to man..... And so on.

I'll skip the specifics as to not offend anyone, but I'm sure we're familiar with the types of people who drive those respective vehicles. On my 2-hour-a-day commute, I see all of those and am usually correct about 90% of the time when I try to guess the type of person driving them. Once l saw like a 60-year old dude driving a riced out Honda and this grandma (the white fro, scooted all the way up to the wheel type) driving a souped up LIME GREEN mustang 5.0L GT. Those two occurrences definitely warranted a double take, followed by a

Anyway, I do get a little scared sometimes about our cars because I have seen a lot more younger dudes with G35s and it's concerning because you can tell what was once a 30-40k car that the more 'mature' people could afford is aging and turning into the next entry level luxury car for the younguns to mess up. I'm kind of a hypocrite in that sense because I picked mine up when I was 20, but I knew I was going to mod it and do it right. I'd rather not mod at all than to do it half-assed with spray paint and ****. In fact I have been lurking around these forums since high school - around 2005 - before I bought my car in 2009 while I was in college. The whole aura of this forum has shifted drastically from 10 years ago into a much 'younger' scene, which is a key factor as to why I'm not here as much anymore (the other being I've learned a **** ton about my car so I don't have as many questions anymore or need for research other than looking up reviews about X vs Y company).

Heh, I don't know why I've gotten onto this tangent, but I'm 26/A/M/NV

Old 09-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Try Instagram..
Just earlier a 350 with varrstoens had comments under the pic of his car asking about him turning in his Taco Bell application

Whole different crowd now...

Old 09-14-2014, 12:39 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Try Instagram..
Just earlier a 350 with varrstoens had comments under the pic of his car asking about him turning in his Taco Bell application

Whole different crowd now...
Haha, I had Varrstoens for a very short while - I had just dropped some serious cash on a full paint job for my car and placed an order for some Volk TE37s. The vendor goofed it up and it didn't place the order (it was already going to take a few months for them to get shipped over) - until I inquired about it a couple months later. I had stock 19's on at the time when I got my car painted, and I really really wanted the TE37 look NOOWW, so I picked up a set as a placeholder until I finally got my Volks =D