G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Question? Snow tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Question? Snow tires

I own a g35 in Utah and the snow is soon to make an appearance. This will be my first year to drive the G in the snow. For those of you who have driven in snow with a coupe, can you please tell me a little about it.
With snow tires, will it drive well? I have been told by a lot of people to try to get rid of it before the snow hits, but i really do not want to.

My car is daily driven so I need to know if it might just be a better idea to find another.

Help..

Old 09-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Any car will "drive well" in the snow with proper snow tires. How well is a different story.

Will it handle as well as FWD? Nope.
Will it handle as well as a AWD? Nope.
Will it handle itself properly on snow tires with a driver who knows what he/she is doing? Yep.
Is it ****ing fun? Hell yes.

Provided the snow isn't so high you're plowing it, you'll be fine with snow tires.
I've driven my car through the snow with snow tires and aside from purposely sliding around corners, it never was an issue.

(Granted there wasn't snow on the ground in the pic, you get the idea; I took it up the mountain in snow for snowboarding)

The following users liked this post:
aylucia (09-15-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM
I got the 06 coupe - As long as you get some proper winter tires you should be fine. I'm planning on getting the Michelin Xi3 for this winter, as last winter I couldn't get off my sloped driveway with the performance summer tires I had on, causing me to just park it for the winter.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by dEnbOy.GFM
Any car will "drive well" in the snow with proper snow tires.
Not completely true. You're missing out on one key element here which is ground clearance. Having great snow tires, or even studded tires on your car won't make a bit of difference if your car is really low and drags in the snow with the underbody and plows it with the front spoiler.

I've had buddies get burned by this on sport FWD cars with snow tires that were very low and they couldn't believe that they got stuck in the snow on the road, while other people with all-season tires and more ground clearance were able to pass through fine.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Not completely true. You're missing out on one key element here which is ground clearance. Having great snow tires, or even studded tires on your car won't make a bit of difference if your car is really low and drags in the snow with the underbody and plows it with the front spoiler.

I've had buddies get burned by this on sport FWD cars with snow tires that were very low and they couldn't believe that they got stuck in the snow on the road, while other people with all-season tires and more ground clearance were able to pass through fine.
If you read my whole post, you've restated what I've said (and note the quotes around "drive well"). Of course it's going to depend on how much snow it's on the ground. If you're buddy was dumb enough to drive a car that didn't clear the level of snow, that's on him. No one said putting snow tires on a car turns it into the ultimate snow driving machine. It also requires a little forethought.

Last edited by dEnbOy.GFM; 09-18-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
We get this question EVERY year.... I lived in Idaho and in Utah. I took the G out ONCE in the winter and it was a mistake... I almost wrecked it and YES I can drive in the snow... I was going 15mph in medium conditions then the car just started drifting..... In Utah they have a good enough system set up that you can make it through most conditions on a good set of blizzaks or other GOOD snow tires. BUT if you are out there and its fresh wet snow and dumping your probably in trouble.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
No all seasons. Get the dedicated winter tires like Blizzak. Maybe on craigslist if you're lucky on a set of oem wheels. There is only one way to have a RWD in the winter and that's on dedicated snow tires

Old 09-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Snow tires do the job

I live in WI and went through my first winter with my 2004 G35. I purchased a set of Blizzaks and a dedicated set of rims for them, downsizing to a 17" rim to allow for a taller tire sidewall, which helps in the snow. We had a decent amount of snow last winter and I never had a situation where I couldn't take the G out. I previously drove an Audi A4 quattro, always with all-season tires, and I have to say that with winter tires, I felt almost as secure traction wise as with my Audi with all-seasons. Clearance is the big issue, but at stock level, I didn't have any problems even when we got 6 to 8 inches of snow.