G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Electrical problems need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problems need help!

Yesterday my car started driving me crazy! About a month ago my radio buttons stopped working (aftermarket double din) so i tapped the side of the console and the radio turned off never to come on again. Then yesterday my taillights went out and i figured i blew a fuse again. (sometimes my led footwell wiring shorts and blows the fuse that controls the console lighting and tail lamps.) so i check and sure enough its the fuse. I check my wires and replace the fuse. It blows immediately. I check the wiring for any bare wires and separate them and replace the fuse a second time. Yet again it blows immediately. I put in a higher amp fuse and the fuse does not blow this time. But my tail lights are still not coming on. The Guage cluster as well does not illuminate anymore. Can not find anything else that could have been wrong so i figure id drive home with my hazards on. The car does not crank but instead clicks like a dead battery. Also the headlights start acting up and doing whatever they want. The lcd display dims and brightens on its own. The windows dont work. I jump started the car and all goes back to normal (aside from the taillights and guage cluster) as soon as i pull the jumper cables off the car proceeds to stall. So i jump it again and drive home real quick before it stalls with no lights on. (was around the corner) the car doesnt stall this time but if i turn the headlights on it starts to stall again. What could the problem be!? I heard maybe the bcm? I removed mine and it looks a little beat up.any suggestions?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Sounds like you have a wiring nightmare...
I would say start with your aftermarket wiring. Go through all the wiring making sure that no wires are exposed. If there is, use a combination of solder, shrink wrap, and electrical tape.
After that, it could be a BCM issue. But I'm willing to bet that someone installed your aftermarket stuff poorly.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TroysG
I would say start with your aftermarket wiring. Go through all the wiring making sure that no wires are exposed. If there is, use a combination of solder, shrink wrap, and electrical tape.
After that, it could be a BCM issue. But I'm willing to bet that someone installed your aftermarket stuff poorly.
Troys advise is good, inspect aftermarket wiring installations for faulty connections. As far as the fuse goes, by installing a higher amp fuse you are risking serious damage to the systems the fuse protects, to include starting a fire. If the normal size fuse is blowing, it is doing what it was intended to do.

I would check the alternator output with a Volt/Ohm meter when the car is running, with all lights and accessories off, you should be reading about 13.5V. You might have a bad alternator as indicated by your statement that everything is normal while the car is jumped.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
i'm having the same issue.... my console, clear corners, and taillights all are out....keep replacing the tail lamp fuse and it keeps blowing.

Troy can u elaborate on what the BCM issue is?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
thanks guys. i will probaby disconnect the aftermarket wiring and see if the problem persists. if it does ill replace the bcm and let you know.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:14 AM
electrical issue

was there a resolution to this problem? I am having a similar issue with everything on the taillight circuit not working and blowing a fuse with each time I replace it. I am thinking of temporarily wiring a separate switch for the taillights till I can figure out what the real issue is.