G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35, couple questions on manual and bushings.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G35, couple questions on manual and bushings.

Hey guys, I just got a 2006 coupe 6MT, and to say I'm excited is an understatement. It's taking me a while to get the launches down though. I learned manual on a friend's Acura CL type S, and this clutch feels a lot more aggressive. I tried the no-gas technique a bunch of times today, and I feel like I finally made some progress. I noticed that the engagement zone is really short. My question is, is when you start giving it gas, does this engagement zone lengthen? What I mean is, when I practiced the no-gas technique, the speed of my left foot was basically fast until the bite point, slooow until the car picked up some speed (engagement zone), then quick all the way out. During these practices, the zone felt really short, and I'm wondering if it'll be this way regardless of throttle input, or if it this zone where I have to be slow and careful will lengthen depending on how much gas I give it.

Also, I had the car inspected before I bought it, and a differential bushing is cracked. Is it worth paying a mechanic to do it, or should I take care of it myself? I've done suspensions, brakes, and fluids with a friend, who has ramps and one of those hydraulic car lifts and jackstands.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Regarding the bushing, here's a DIY: http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...ml#post8564405. I haven't replaced it personally but some say its easy.

The following users liked this post:
ryts100 (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
That's just how the clutch always is regardless of throttle. That's why our cars are a bit harder to drive than economy cars or something. You have to learn to get that engage point really accurate. It'll come with time, but there's a lot less room for error than any other car I've driven (I've only ever owned manuals). I used to teach people to drive stick in my truck cuz it was easy. I would never teach someone in the G.

Please read this: https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...-drive-mt.html

The following users liked this post:
ryts100 (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Regarding the bushing, here's a DIY: http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...ml#post8564405. I haven't replaced it personally but some say its easy.
Wow, looks like a pretty long job. I might just take it to my mechanic since I don't have a power saw or a tall enough jack.

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
That's just how the clutch always is regardless of throttle. That's why our cars are a bit harder to drive than economy cars or something. You have to learn to get that engage point really accurate. It'll come with time, but there's a lot less room for error than any other car I've driven (I've only ever owned manuals). I used to teach people to drive stick in my truck cuz it was easy. I would never teach someone in the G.
Ah gotcha, so basically to get smooth launches I just need to make sure I'm going through that zone super smoothly while maintaining RPM the whole way through right?

Old 01-04-2015, 11:42 PM
If I were you I would go to an empty parking lot, sit still with your clutch in, put it in first and slowly lift off the clutch until you reach the point where your rpms juuuust start to go down a bit and then ease onto the gas as you let it out the rest of the way. Do that a few times to get your muscle memory going.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 AM
If I were you I would go to an empty parking lot, sit still with your clutch in, put it in first and slowly lift off the clutch until you reach the point where your rpms juuuust start to go down a bit and then ease onto the gas as you let it out the rest of the way. Do that a few times to get your muscle memory going.
Yeah I've been practicing that too, my problem is the throttle feels really touchy and the RPM's spike up to 2k when I put my "default" pressure on it. I'm coming from an automatic with a heavier gas pedal so my foot isn't used to feathering this throttle yet.

Also, and this is an open question to whoever wants to respond, how can I navigate driveways and parking spots smoothly? My driveway is a pretty abrupt slope that I prefer to slow way down for. Earlier today, I was in 2nd gear and approaching my house, which is on the left. I started braking, but before I could slow down enough the engine felt like it was lugging so I clutched in and made a bunch of attempts to get in to the garage (b/c my hill starts aren't perfected either - more on that later). My question is, how would I make this slowing down to a crawl and then turning in to a parking space/driveway a smooth, fluid motion? These are the steps I'm imagining in my head: Approaching house, brake, clutch in when RPM's drop too low, let clutch out until bite point, modulate clutch and gas to keep everything smooth, while pulling in to driveway. Does that sound about right? Should I be shifting in to first since the speeds are so slow?

Old 01-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
You will get it with time but more hill = more throttle on the simple end.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:15 AM
The main thing in the beginning is to be patient with your attempts and don't overreact/over compensate gas or clutch. Keep calm, think about what you're doing as you're doing it and don't go slamming on the gas or releasing the clutch completely. There's really no better advice than just stay focused as much as possible.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:21 AM
The main thing in the beginning is to be patient with your attempts and don't overreact/over compensate gas or clutch. Keep calm, think about what you're doing as you're doing it and don't go slamming on the gas or releasing the clutch completely. There's really no better advice than just stay focused as much as possible.
I hear you, my biggest problem right now is my feet aren't used to the level of sensitivity this car requires. I'm still pretty slow and rough in reacting to my throttle input with the clutch.