G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Didn't know where to post this* but I have a 06 g35 coupe and I have a problem with the ashtray door not opening. I use it for change and I guess I overflowed it. It's stuck so I took the part out from the dash and inspected it. There are a few screws on the back of it but removing them won't do nothing. I tried forcing it open but nothing happened. If I put more force on it, I'm afraid of breaking one of the clips or something along those lines. Please help me resolve my problem! Need Help!-image-1305234431.jpg Need Help!-image-716852564.jpg Need Help!-image-3036648404.jpg

Old 01-07-2015, 02:06 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago when I used to keep coins in there. Not to others... DON'T KEEP CHANGE IN YOUR ASHTRAY.

Can you get your ash tray door open at all... even just a little bit? In my case, I was able to get it open a smidgen, just not all the way. What I did was open it up as much as I could and then took a coat hanger and bent it into a weird shape so it could fit into the small opening and reach down behind the ashtray. There was a quarter stuck behind the ashtray that was lodged in and preventing it from opening. I was able to dislodge the quarter with the coat hanger and get it all the way open. Then I used a few other random poking type devices (toothpicks, screwdrivers, whatnot) to fish any change behind there into the appropriate angle so that I could grab them with tweezers and pull them out.

Since you apparently took the whole unit out, you should be able to use gravity to your advantage to get the coins out from behind, but you will need to dislodge them first. Maybe banging the thing with a jarring motion from your hand will set it free enough to get the door partially open?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago when I used to keep coins in there. Not to others... DON'T KEEP CHANGE IN YOUR ASHTRAY. Can you get your ash tray door open at all... even just a little bit? In my case, I was able to get it open a smidgen, just not all the way. What I did was open it up as much as I could and then took a coat hanger and bent it into a weird shape so it could fit into the small opening and reach down behind the ashtray. There was a quarter stuck behind the ashtray that was lodged in and preventing it from opening. I was able to dislodge the quarter with the coat hanger and get it all the way open. Then I used a few other random poking type devices (toothpicks, screwdrivers, whatnot) to fish any change behind there into the appropriate angle so that I could grab them with tweezers and pull them out. Since you apparently took the whole unit out, you should be able to use gravity to your advantage to get the coins out from behind, but you will need to dislodge them first. Maybe banging the thing with a jarring motion from your hand will set it free enough to get the door partially open?
So I grabbed a paper clip that was near me and slid it through the little space it had and I hit something. I moved it back & forth and it opened! Turns out there was 3 small round magnets in there for some reason. Don't know how it got there but I guess it jammed it. But thanks for your help! I'll be sure to keep that in mind if it ever happens again in the future.

Last edited by erickLA; 01-07-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Nice... I'm glad it worked out for you.

Hopefully other people learn from our mistakes that our cars are not good vehicles for keeping change in the ashtray.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.