G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Gas guage broken

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:34 PM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gas guage broken

My gas gauge just died. The needle is just hang down in the 6 o'clock position. There was no unusual event that triggered this, it just went limp a few days ago and hasn't twitched since. I tapped it, turned it on/off and yelled at it... nothing worked.

I know there are many-a-thread about their gauges not reading accurately, but mine was always reading very accurate... until now because it doesn't read anything.

Is the issue my gauge or something with the tank? Is there any test or fix I can attempt or am I stealership bound?

Old 02-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
it could be the fuel sending unit.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NYT
My gas gauge just died. The needle is just hang down in the 6 o'clock position. There was no unusual event that triggered this, it just went limp a few days ago and hasn't twitched since. I tapped it, turned it on/off and yelled at it... nothing worked.

I know there are many-a-thread about their gauges not reading accurately, but mine was always reading very accurate... until now because it doesn't read anything.

Is the issue my gauge or something with the tank? Is there any test or fix I can attempt or am I stealership bound?

Did you jump start your car lately?

Where is the needle positioned? right side or left side of the needle stopper?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by matt0323

If it's to the left of the needle stopper (Flipped over), you just need to grab a strong *** magnet and guide it over.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm only a parts counterman at a honda dealership so don't take my word for it.... but to my knowledge the fuel pump has a floater that reads how much fuel is in the gas tank. Not on a g35, but on a car that we had in the shop, we needed to order a new fuel pump because the floater wasn't sold as a seperate unit and that fixed the inop fuel gauge.

But that's just generic information that may or may not apply to our car. I was just hoping it helped.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I vote "Sending Unit!"

I'd sooner believe Deepdriver was correct then having a fuel pump/float issue! Take your G to an independent Nissan mechanic and have them check it out or you could fill up every other day so you don't end up walking.
Gary

Old 02-27-2015, 10:08 AM
NYT
Originally Posted by matt0323

No jump start, just went limp one day.

It's pointing down South, roughly at 5pm. I don't think my gauge has a stopper, but where it's currently hanging down is significantly far away from the "E".

I'll give this magnet trick that Spartan268 suggested a quick shot.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:11 AM
NYT
Thanks for all the info/help. I have some new information that may help isolate the issue... My gas light still works!

I'm not sure what the relationship is between the needle and light, but they appear to be independent. Any new suggestion based on this?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:09 PM
ewj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan268
If it's to the left of the needle stopper (Flipped over), you just need to grab a strong *** magnet and guide it over.
Hey Spartan - thanks for your reply and answer, I really appreciate it. I just ordered some magnets to try this trick. I have a 2006 G35 coupe so it has flipped around to the left side (counter clockwise) and now when turned on it moves (counter clockwise) and stops at the pin. I need to try and guide the gauge clockwise until it snaps back into position like you noted. I had a question for you though, can the magnets cause any electrical damage or effect the cluster in anyway? Also have you heard of fishing wire through the hole of the reset odometer button? Can this break the needle if I try hooking it and pulling it over in the same manner as the magnets? I want to try the method that is easiest and of course does not damage anything further.

Thanks again for your post, I am not going to pay the dealership the $1000 they want to replace the entire cluster... what a rip.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 PM
As far as I know when I tried it, everything is working better than ever. No issues reported thus far electrically. I guess the magnets I used were barely adequate since I struggled with it a bit so it wouldnt cause any issues. If something honestly was to go wrong (Super doubtful), it would be a cluster replacement anyways at most. But I wouldn't even worry.
The only problem I had afterwards was that I was rubbing the magnet against the plastic shield so I ended up scratching it a bit. Very minor but I'm the OCD type of person.

As for fishing the wire, i also read about that. I couldn't really see how it's plausible, but it for sure wouldn't break the needle if you can pull it off.

And after I changed my battery I never had a fuel needle problem ever again. So I guess the root cause was a dying battery. Even though it was starting up the car without issues.

The following users liked this post:
ewj (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 05:15 PM
ewj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cause for my needle to jump was due to AAA coming out and jump starting the battery on my vehicle. Even though it was standalone jumper starter kit, the surge must have caused the needle to jump since that is the exact moment it occurred. I guess it could be coincidence but doubtful. I replaced the battery so its brand new but still on the wrong side.

Do you remember what types of magnets you used and if your tank was fairly full? I wonder if having a full tank will help since the needle will be resting close to the top and not have to flip all the way around.
Lastly, did you unhook your battery or anything when doing this magnet trick or obviously just keep the car off.

Sorry for all the questions I just didn't want to screw anything up further and any info from someone who already did it is super helpful! Thanks again!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by ewj
The cause for my needle to jump was due to AAA coming out and jump starting the battery on my vehicle. Even though it was standalone jumper starter kit, the surge must have caused the needle to jump since that is the exact moment it occurred. I guess it could be coincidence but doubtful. I replaced the battery so its brand new but still on the wrong side.

Do you remember what types of magnets you used and if your tank was fairly full?
I used some skinny looking block magnets from Lowes. Just about any magnet from a hardware store will. What I honestly did was buy the magnets, got it done at the parking lot. Then returned it right away.
I wonder if having a full tank will help since the needle will be resting close to the top and not have to flip all the way around.
When I did the flip it was close to halfish
Lastly, did you unhook your battery or anything when doing this magnet trick or obviously just keep the car off.
Car was off. Didn't bother unhooking anything. And since the car is off as well, the amount of gas in the tank will be irrelevant. After the needle gets past the 12:00 position it will drop down to the right side of the pin via gravity.

Sorry for all the questions I just didn't want to screw anything up further and any info from someone who already did it is super helpful! Thanks again!
in da red

Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Tried the magnet trick, didn't work for me :/

Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM
NYT
Update: I did nothing. It just decided to work again after a while.

The following users liked this post:
cswlightning (02-11-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by NYT
Update: I did nothing. It just decided to work again after a while.
Good to know. So will I.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas guage broken