G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

First problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First problems

I've driven the car for about 800 miles since I have owned it and the first problems arised. haven't been in stop and go traffic and yesterday happened for about an 1 and 20 mins. started noticing the temp needle not being its usual 1 under the middle, climbed about two lines above the middle but never got past that and by the time I got out of the traffic it went back to normal after that as I experienced no traffic on the way home. any suggestions?

also have an issue with the fuses for the window/ac, I took them out thinking it would disabled a/c since its going haywire due to the radio and ever since than I have to push a little on the fuses for the window switch to work and than once I get them up or down it stops working again until I push again.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
You could have a small leak in the cooling system. Could be a worn radiator cap, hairline crack in the radiator, crack in the overflow tank, etc. Go rent a cooling system pressure tester from autozone. Its free.

Otherwise your fans could be not coming on which could be a fuse or a faulty fan motor. If you can hear or see them come on tho, then its a cooling system leak.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
You could have a small leak in the cooling system. Could be a worn radiator cap, hairline crack in the radiator, crack in the overflow tank, etc. Go rent a cooling system pressure tester from autozone. Its free.

Otherwise your fans could be not coming on which could be a fuse or a faulty fan motor. If you can hear or see them come on tho, then its a cooling system leak.
Could it also be the thermostat?

Had this same exact issue. So did my brother until he swapped the thermostat in his G.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Don't see how. A broken thermostat would mean a closed system which would surely mean engine death if left running. Unless its somehow stuck halfway open.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For sure check your fans. Scraggle said it right. This too was another bs problem i myself had run into this luxury sport piece a chit car i still owe money on. No engine light or codes ever came up. Not 1 but both of the fans motors had burnt out. So i was getting that problem u getting with it climbing up in temp but not to the top top. And as u drove some it went back down to normal. Got new radiator fans in and all is well. But since then i got catylic converter code now. One day ill maybe fix that.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Yeah, mine had the same symptom due to a hairline crack in the radiator and then again later due to a faulty rad cap.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:44 PM
So changed the upper and lower radiator hoses, and the thermostat so will see what happens in the next couple of days. My a/c is constantly on due to stupid radio but I noticed that my passenger fan isn't coming on, I've only seen the drivers on. How do the fans work on our cars??

Also anyone have a clue about why my windows work if I push on the fuses and stop working the minute I put them up all the way, till I push the fuses again?

Old 03-15-2015, 01:51 AM
I think you have air (bubbles) in the system. You have to open up the radiator cap and turn on the engine. When the thermostats move the coolant fill it to the top with coolant or destilled water. Repeat it until you get heat from the ac.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:47 PM
I don't have control of the a/c at the moment as board is messed up. I had to get a new lower hose as the one I put in I put in backwords and the pulley cut a slit into it. anyway I replaced it with a new one and left the car on and went back outside and needle was to the top. so I let it cool down, jacked it up, left the radiator cap off, and looks like when thermostat opens up coolant starts gushing out, turned it off and refilled it as it was missing a lot from gushing out. Left it on for a little while temp guage was at normal level, revved to about 3k a couple times and needle started moving up. any ideas.

Last edited by G35Rican; 03-15-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:54 PM
You don't have to rev the engine just open the cap and turn on the car let it idle, when the thermo turn on fill the radiator (you will see the coolant running) when the thermo stops, stop and wait until the thermo starts again. If you dont stop at the same time you will overflow the radiator and the coolant will spill out. I had the same problem when I replaced all my hoses with z1 silicone hoses kit

Old 03-15-2015, 04:56 PM
At idle is possibly that coolant spill a little because of the bubbles try to cover the belts and some parts to prevent damage. When the car has no bubbles you will notice that the coolant at idle stays very calm.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Once the thermostat kicks in water starts gushing out, was reading other threads someone mentioned a bad radiator could be causing that. Both times I tried to bleed it out like most other cars with the cap off and it spewed a lot of the coolant out..

Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM
hopefully issue is resolved. ended up lifting the car once it cooled down, I opened the bleed valve and nothing came out until I opened the radiator cap and looks like it pushed some coolant up from the valve, once it did that I closed the valve filled up radiator to top closed it. left it on for a bit and never passed the line under halfway. took it for an aggressive drive and the needle didn't move at all. so hopefully all will be well..

Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Rican
So changed the upper and lower radiator hoses, and the thermostat so will see what happens in the next couple of days. My a/c is constantly on due to stupid radio but I noticed that my passenger fan isn't coming on, I've only seen the drivers on. How do the fans work on our cars??

Also anyone have a clue about why my windows work if I push on the fuses and stop working the minute I put them up all the way, till I push the fuses again?
I'm having a similar problem. 2005 G35x stays at a tick below horizontal on the freeway but as soon as I get off, it starts to tick to horizontal. I've popped the hood when hot and noticed that the driver side fan is spinning hard but the passenger side is not. Yesterday I swapped out the passenger side fan motor for a TYC motor. It still does not work. Same exact circumstances. I wonder if the relay from ECU to passenger side fan is broken?

Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Does your A/C get hot if sitting at a light as well until you start going again??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First problems