G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 left side (passenger) rattle over bumps...wtf?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
G35 left side (passenger) rattle over bumps...wtf?!

Hey all. So, I am currently in the process of selling my G (I know, I know...) and I have an annoying *** rattle/squeak coming from the left rear wheel.

Now, I know better than to ask a question on a forum without research, so here is what I have checked so far.

- All wheel nuts tight
- Center bore ring on
- Sway bar link looks fine (drove it without them connected, still squeaking...)
- Put in my spare 350z shocks and greased them at both end (and at the top mounting point)
- Checked all bolts on the lower arm, tightened them to suit.
- Lithium greased all of the bushings.
- Nothing loose in the boot.
- Factory amp area looks fine

Now, I did replace that wheel bearing over a year ago. However, my wheel alignment shop advised me the axle bolt was a little loose which was causing a bit of play, so they re-torqued it for me. As far as I know, the sounds has only happened since then, however, this may just be a coincidence.

The axle never had the notorious click or anything like that & does not have it today.

However, I had read that some of the newer sedans had a problem with loose hand/foot brake cables? So I have tightened that, to the point of over tightening the adjuster inside the hub, to check to see if it would make the squeak go away...

Still no luck.

It is driving me ****ing mental!!!!

The sounds is quite hard to hear unless you are me, I hear it on EVERY bump.
If you are in the passenger seat with the window down, its quite embarrassing. Not ideal when trying to sell a car with people viewing it.

Any help would be tops. Cheers!

Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts
First of all im sure we can help. Second, passenger side is considered right. As you view the car as if you were facing forward in or behind the car. Unless your car is right hand drive, then you are correct.

An audio / video clip would be helpful. There are a lot of noises these cars make. So providing the sound will increase your chances of getting an answer

Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalDeviant
First of all im sure we can help. Second, passenger side is considered right. As you view the car as if you were facing forward in or behind the car. Unless your car is right hand drive, then you are correct.

An audio / video clip would be helpful. There are a lot of noises these cars make. So providing the sound will increase your chances of getting an answer

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I am from New Zealand, so I should have stated I have a 350GT coupe, rather than a G35...so yeah, my car is RHD.

I will try strap the GoPro in the wheel well tonight and see what I can find.

Cheers mate

Old 03-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
What are the condition of the bushings? Cracks, deformation, or dry rot? I also would not lube the bushings with white lithium grease as it can degrade rubber.

Are you sure it not coming from an interior panel or stuff in your trunk area?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the rattle go away if you lightly apply the brakes? I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a broken clip on the caliper.