G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

B&M Short Shifter Review..***NEW***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down B&M Short Shifter Review..***NEW***

WARNING READ POST #5

Firstly, I've been looking for a short shifter for a bit. In my searches, I came across the nismo, stillen, ams, and a couple more including the infamous B&M. If you look on these forums all you will see is mostly negative reviews saying that reverse wont work after, that the gears get all notchy and you cant find them, that its poorly constructed and doesnt fit right. Well..... its not true. Pretty simple. Some people either didnt take their time, or did not read/follow the instructions properly.

So for the review.

Part:B&M SS. No idea what version it is, most likely the newest. It was bought from Z1motorsports.com, I trust those guys with their inventory.

Car: 07 G35 Coupe 6MT w/poly urethane trans mount. (i have other mods, but only added the pertinent one that would affect my review)

Install: Very easy install (if you read correctly), maybe took about an hour. Most important part is to file EXACTLY where it tells you to. The hardest part of this install is putting that damn boot back on the shift linkage with the y-pipe and driveshaft in the way. Very frustrating. No issues besides that, just READ THE INSTRUCTIONS **Sidenote:The tube of grease they provide is no where near the amount you need to do it right. I bought a tub and was extremely generous with it specially in the "cup" where the spring sits.

After: No problems or regrets. Throw feels like its been reduced more than 33%(feels like 50% lol). It did become more notchy, but thats expected from any SS and its not an irregular notchiness. Gears go in fine with no issues whatsoever including 5,6, and Reverse which is what i read where the worst affected. Also, I dont get the vibration or noise I've read about at higher RPMs. Could have to do with the fact i lubed the crap out of it, or i just installed it right.

Ill update this after some time has passed if there are any significant issues later down the road.

Last edited by Ricky Ramos; 01-11-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Ive had the B&M from Z1 for 3 years, no complaints once you know how to find 5th/6th.

Anyone that has the "rattle" messed with the pin you not supposed to remove which also voids the warranty.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ejgold55
Ive had the B&M from Z1 for 3 years, no complaints once you know how to find 5th/6th.

Anyone that has the "rattle" messed with the pin you not supposed to remove which also voids the warranty.
Didnt even need to relearn my shifting though. The gears are exactly where I left them.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
UPDATE**: Didn't want to bump this but my FB account isn't working on this site anymore. Anyway.

I bought a TWM 4" Competition shift **** and it has reduced the notchiness by ALOT. id like to say eliminated it, but the firmness of the SS is still present (which I love) while still feeling factory through the gates. Id recommend this shift **** for anyone, the grip on this is awesome and you have waaaayyyy more leverage (my old **** was a delrin material vertex ball ****). This **** is still delrin but the 4" bar design allows for the extra leverage.

this just turned into a ****/SS review. there you go!

**if anyone is curious to see it, I have a post on the v35 media share forums. its under the OP screen name.

UPDATE #2 -- 4/19/15:

Rattling has started. Its a very light rattle which comes and goes just like a drone from test pipes but way lighter. The rattle cannot be heard or felt if your hand is on the shifter or if the radio is on. Happens between 2-3k when I let off the throttle (not always). Not something thatll make me take it off, but just wanted to have a complete and honest review here. (This light rattle at low rpms may be due to my transmission mount, most people had been complaining of high rpm rattles which I get none of. My rattle disappears as soon as load is introduced)

Last edited by rramos3; 04-19-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Wanted to update this (Im the OP): Turns out the rattle got louder about 2-3 months ago, pretty annoying. What tipped me over and made me write a bad review was today on my way home the damn shifter snapped in half on me. Mind you this car has ONLY been daily driven and never tracked; i havent even driven this car hard or nothing for the 2 years I've had it.

Anyway. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. NO REASON FOR THIS TO HAVE BROKEN AND IT WAS $200. IT DID NOT LAST EVEN A YEAR. I dont even want mine replaced by warranty.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
on a related note, I recommend anyone wanting a short shifter for our cars look towards Rogue Engineering. The shifter is a solid quality part and no one had any issues or bad things to say about it. Make sure you pick up a new owm shifter cup if you do get one. Other than that, they may be out of protduction the last time i checked, so it may be a little hard to find one. But it's worth the effort.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
on a related note, I recommend anyone wanting a short shifter for our cars look towards Rogue Engineering. The shifter is a solid quality part and no one had any issues or bad things to say about it. Make sure you pick up a new owm shifter cup if you do get one. Other than that, they may be out of protduction the last time i checked, so it may be a little hard to find one. But it's worth the effort.
they are not in business anymore. atleast for the 350z/g35. I was actually looking to buy the RE one but could not find them anywhere. The only good options left are the TWM, AMS, NISMO and STILLEN. All of which are super expensive minus the AMS (130ish$). Surprised I don't see too many people with the TWM here or on forums.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the AMS ss any good?

Old 01-14-2016, 04:09 PM
i got the ams immediately after i broke mine. not impressed with it either. feels soft and mushy and the adjustment doesnt really lock too well. just stick with OEM. thats what im going with.