G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need some help with diagnosis!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with diagnosis!!

Here is my current situation:

Bought a 2006 G35 coupe in July of 2014 for 10K with 128K miles on it. Car was brought from Texas to Chicago. Body on it is impeccable, aftermarket headlights, tinted, 19" aluminum lip rims, no rust whatsoever. Sounded great at start up and took it for a drive, no issues. Had to buy as is, no warranty available.

Once the car got back home (40 miles away from dealer), the engine light came on. Says its the cat convertor. Took to dealership and they confirmed the convertor and o2 sensor was bad. Couldn't pass my emissions test. Ordered both parts, had installed by my mechanic. After that was installed everything was fine, engine light came on again and threw a camshaft position actuator A bank 1 timing over advanced code. I drove it a couple of miles, reset the code and it hasn't come back since, but I keep this in the back of my mind.

The car was fine from August until December, I took it for an oil change and the guys told me there was oil around the pan, there might be a leak. Made an appointment again with the dealer and had them take a look in mid January, turns out both valve cover gaskets were leaking as well as transmission fluid was leaking. I figured instead of me adding and adding oil until I had time to buy the part and take them to my mechanic, just have them fix it. They did. I explained to them that my throttle is getting stuck at 3000RPM. The spark plugs were severely worn and needed replacing. That got done. Air flow meter needs replacing its causing the engine to run lean, I have yet to do that due to it being a bit pricey. Needed the others done first.

I took the car for an oil change again a couple of weeks ago because I didn't think the dealer topped it off when the car was there. In 2-3 weeks, my car burned all of that oil. Gone. I bought 3 quarts of oil at Autozone, 5w-30 synthetic high mileage. Gone again in 3 weeks. When we first bought the car it was not smoking from the tail pipes, oil was not burning this quickly. Now, there is blue grey smoke coming from the exhaust and the dealer says the piston rings are sticking, more than 3. They ran a compression test and are positive that this is the issue. I do feel the car idling rougher than before when it is in neutral. When the car is at a stand still, smoke lightly comes out of the tail pipes. If the car is parked and I give it gas, it smokes - a lot. If I take off at a high speed or even cruising, I don't see smoke at all (maybe I can't see it but I'm sure i should be able to if I'm really looking for it) Until we can get the block replaced we are going to try out a thicker oil, Rislone engine treatment and then possibly Lucas engine oil stop leak.

This is where I need some of your expert opinions on this situation before I spend big $$$ on another engine. What are your thoughts?

Any help is appreciated!!!!

Old 03-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 04 is burning the same amount of oil (no leak), and I have smoke also. Once it is out of winter storage I am doing an engine replacement. I think that's the best option for you also

Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts