G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Working out the understeer issue, what worked for you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working out the understeer issue, what worked for you?

So after having my 04 coupe for about 8 months now, I've decided the understeer problem bothers me enough to find a way to solve it. I've nearly wrecked 4 times because of it. I live in the hills of east TN, so my daily commutes feel like the Nurburgring. Lol I'm just assuming this is kind of a notorious issue for these cars. Of the other guys I know who own one, they all say theirs do it as well. First I thought it was just junk tires, but not the case, I've had stock springs, tein's, and cut stocks (1&1/3 loops cut about 2" drop) and all set ups do the same thing, outside front just decides to slip like its on ice during turns with a decent amount of g-force, pulling me nearly off the road until I can gather it back up. I've re-chambered the car after dropping it, back to factory settings. I know these cars came with a good deal of caster angle. I could give more negative front camber, but I refuse to look like one of those cambered out stretch tires guys. Lol plus I don't have money to buy new tires every 4 months. I've been considering a stiffer rear sway bar to compensate, but unsure what lb/in rating will make it happy? Has anyone tried this with luck? Maybe I just need to replace shocks with some that have slightly stiffer rebound? Or...???? What worked for you guys? Btw, the cheaper the better guys, I'm correcting an issue, not building a race car. Lol

Old 03-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
I'm hardly an expert on this, but I noticed a lot more understeer before I installed stillen sway bars (front & back).

Old 03-20-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Search for and read the threads on sways. You'll want to get adjustable so you can dial it in to your preferences.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
How old are your shocks?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigc
I'm hardly an expert on this, but I noticed a lot more understeer before I installed stillen sway bars (front & back).
Well I'm no formula one engineer either, but from what I have made sense of, upgrading front and rear would leave center anti roll adjustment to center balance much closer to where it is at, if rear only is upgraded, it will create a anti roll adjustment that is closer to 50/50 which is the point that will give you the most oversteer possible. (Which would contradict under steer) unless you are using percentages that add up to over 100% like 60/60 or 70/70, but I don't want an oversteer problem, I want just enough contradiction to correct the under under steer, and I'm under the impression a rear only, will get me just as close a set, plus it's cheaper.

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Search for and read the threads on sways. You'll want to get adjustable so you can dial it in to your preferences.
Well that's why I have made this thread, I'm looking for how much adjustment is needed so I don't miss the mark. Or other solutions, I have been searching the forum, but haven't found anything relevant at this point.

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
How old are your shocks?
I'm betting pretty old. I bought the car preowned, with little documentation, so no way to know for sure. I thought of this, but want to consider all possible variables before I go throwing parts at it.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Just saying bad shocks are a classic sign of funky steering.

Just to be certain, you're talking about oversteer or under steer? I've never heard of a rwd car with excessive under steer problems. That's usually a fwd problem.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Get a rear sway bar. Try softest setting for the first week or two then try medium then try hard. With enough time and trials you'll figure it out with just a rear sway bar. (Since you want to stay cheap)

That's exactly what I did before I became obsessed and bought front and rear with endlinks to really dial it in

Old 03-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by numba20
Well I'm no formula one engineer either, but from what I have made sense of, upgrading front and rear would leave center anti roll adjustment to center balance much closer to where it is at, if rear only is upgraded, it will create a anti roll adjustment that is closer to 50/50 which is the point that will give you the most oversteer possible. (Which would contradict under steer) unless you are using percentages that add up to over 100% like 60/60 or 70/70, but I don't want an oversteer problem, I want just enough contradiction to correct the under under steer, and I'm under the impression a rear only, will get me just as close a set, plus it's cheaper...
Two things:
- Not all aftermarket sways are the same, so it may be incorrect to assume that upgrades to both front and rear sways will net out.
- Because of the above, get adjustable sways so you set your car up the way that feels best to you.

Anyway, best of luck in getting this sorted out. It really does affect the whole experience of getting behind the wheel.

Last edited by bigc; 03-20-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Hotchkis sways and Whiteline endlinks, all adjustable, steering is on point.
I do believe my rear sway on a pretty stiff setting though.