G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Art Pipes Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Art Pipes Question

So today I purchased some Art Pipes to pair up with my stock exhaust. I have a couple of friends that say once I install the Art Pipes, my G will run lean? Is this true & will I need a tune right afterwards then? The only engine mods I have is a Z-Tube with a K&N drop-in filter. I want to install full bolt ons before I get a tune but want to know if it's necessary to get one when I install the pipes. I don't want to re-tune it and spend more money if it's not needed. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it until you start going full boltons. even then its not necessary, but recommended. not sure if the ART pipes throw a CEL, that would be a reason to.

I would bet others here will agree with more detail.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by rramos3
I wouldn't worry about it until you start going full boltons. even then its not necessary, but recommended. not sure if the ART pipes throw a CEL, that would be a reason to. I would bet others here will agree with more detail.
Isn't it bad if I run it lean though? I've talked to Tony over at Motordyne and he said that it shouldn't throw a code. Hoping others will chime in with more detail. Really want to know because ill be getting them tomorrow and hopefully installing them by Friday.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by erickLA
Isn't it bad if I run it lean though? I've talked to Tony over at Motordyne and he said that it shouldn't throw a code. Hoping others will chime in with more detail. Really want to know because ill be getting them tomorrow and hopefully installing them by Friday.
The CEL shouldnt come on.

And you wont be running lean to the point where you're killing yourself, but you will lean yourself out a bit more. Get on the full exhaust asap then tune her up. If you have no plans for an exhaust, then get the tune now.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Spartan268
The CEL shouldnt come on. And you wont be running lean to the point where you're killing yourself, but you will lean yourself out a bit more. Get on the full exhaust asap then tune her up. If you have no plans for an exhaust, then get the tune now.
Do you still recommend tuning it after the installation of the art pipes? Even though I still want to other bolt ons? I plan on not adding an exhaust at the moment. I'll probably stick around with the stock for awhile but may be adding a XYZ pipe with resonator depending on how bad the rasp is.

Last edited by erickLA; 03-31-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Do you still recommend tuning it after the installation of the art pipes? Even though I still want to other bolt ons? I plan on not adding an exhaust at the moment. I'll probably stick around with the stock for awhile but may be adding a XYZ pipe with resonator depending on how bad the rasp is.
My general opinion on tunes is to get it done after all the bolt ons to save money. No point re-tuning after each mod. For now, stick with the ARTs without tune and confirm whether or not you'll get the XYZ. And then base your decision on that.
If you're worried about blowing something up, nothings gonna happen. Some people rolled around here with full-bolt ons for a long while before tuning (Such as a buddy of mine).

EDIT: I also noticed you dont have a spacer yet. GET ON THAT ASAP!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 PM
My general opinion on tunes is to get it done after all the bolt ons to save money. No point re-tuning after each mod. For now, stick with the ARTs without tune and confirm whether or not you'll get the XYZ. And then base your decision on that. If you're worried about blowing something up, nothings gonna happen. Some people rolled around here with full-bolt ons for a long while before tuning (Such as a buddy of mine). EDIT: I also noticed you dont have a spacer yet. GET ON THAT ASAP!
Yeah that's what I was worried about. Blowing something up. Lol. But I'm still not sure on the XYZ pipe because like I said, it depends on how the rasp gets to me. If it's not bad, then I probably won't buy it. But I'm saving up for the spacer now. What do you recommend? The 1/2 or the 5/16? From what I read, I'd go with the 5/16 but still not sure. So I can run with the bolt ons for a while then right? Tunes are expensive so It'll be awhile before I would be able to get it done. But I'm for sure getting it tuned.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM
Yeah that's what I was worried about. Blowing something up. Lol. But I'm still not sure on the XYZ pipe because like I said, it depends on how the rasp gets to me. If it's not bad, then I probably won't buy it. But I'm saving up for the spacer now. What do you recommend? The 1/2 or the 5/16? From what I read, I'd go with the 5/16 but still not sure. So I can run with the bolt ons for a while then right? Tunes are expensive so It'll be awhile before I would be able to get it done. But I'm for sure getting it tuned.
There should be a video or 2 with people with the same stock setup + ARTs. It'll give you an idea of what to expect, but videos never do justice since headphones and microphones arent too capable of catching the full sound range.

Personally I would recommend the 5/16th since it provides more usable power (midrange) vs the gains of the 1/2 which is more on the upper end. If you live life on the redline the 1/2 will be your choice. If not, 5/16 it is.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 PM
There should be a video or 2 with people with the same stock setup + ARTs. It'll give you an idea of what to expect, but videos never do justice since headphones and microphones arent too capable of catching the full sound range. Personally I would recommend the 5/16th since it provides more usable power (midrange) vs the gains of the 1/2 which is more on the upper end. If you live life on the redline the 1/2 will be your choice. If not, 5/16 it is.
Yea I've seen a few videos already and as you said, videos do no justice. But I might have enough for the spacer so I might buy it this week. Is it easy to install? Is there a diy for it? And that's all I really need right before I get a tune right? My G is 5AT. I have a z-tube, K&N drop in filter, art pipes which I will be receiving tomorrow and the plenum spacer when I do purchase it.

Last edited by erickLA; 03-31-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Your setup as is will be quite raspy. I wouldn't get a tune until you at least purchase a plenum spacer and catback exhaust (true dual preferred).

I've been on full boltons since last August, car is leaned out I am sure but then again I have only floored it once since then (after my ART pipes install) and during my daily driving never take it above 4k rpm or 75% throttle position. Just stay off the wide open throttle pulls until you tune.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by PhoenixG35
Your setup as is will be quite raspy. I wouldn't get a tune until you at least purchase a plenum spacer and catback exhaust (true dual preferred). I've been on full boltons since last August, car is leaned out I am sure but then again I have only floored it once since then (after my ART pipes install) and during my daily driving never take it above 4k rpm or 75% throttle position. Just stay off the wide open throttle pulls until you tune.
I purchased the plenum spacer about an hour ago. As for the exhaust Catback system, I probably won't get it till around summer time. Should i wait to get a tune once I do get an exhaust? I floor it every once and a while. I don't do it as much

Old 04-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
yes and try not to floor it... sucks but healthy engine is better than headaches down the road

Old 04-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You should be fine. Worry about blowing something up when you're running forced induction or NOS. A slightly wider pipe in your exhaust shouldn't make anything explode!

Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by zcherub
You should be fine. Worry about blowing something up when you're running forced induction or NOS. A slightly wider pipe in your exhaust shouldn't make anything explode!
Thank you! I'm not worried as much now, I'll be installing them this weekend or next week. Hope everything runs fine.