G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35 - Feedback on a few maintenance questions welcome!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
New G35 - Feedback on a few maintenance questions welcome!

So I joined this community a couple of months ago, and asked a few noobish questions while shopping for my G. Thanks for the help

I was a TTZ32 owner for about 8 years a few years ago:

After I sold that, I had an E39 (sport):

..And I just picked up my 2006 G35 a few weeks ago (just now getting around to pics). It had 72,XXX miles at purchase, and overall is in pretty good shape (although the interior feels REALLY cheap coming from the E39). Here are some pics of the new ride:

Overall, pretty clean.

First stop was to Z1 Motorsports for a check up. Once it got a clean bill of health, a few mods were added

-Plenum Spacer
-Z1 Z Tube/Intake
-Stillen Exhaust
-Berk Test Pipes
-Osiris Dyno Tune
-Z1 Titanium Shift ****

-

There are still a few annoying issues with the car - mostly cosmetic (pictured below). Additionally, there is a squeal when I turn the wheel. It persists even when braking, so I assume its a brake shim or something. Definitely something in the rotating assembly of one of the wheels as it has that "rotating" sound and only occurs when moving. Any input would be appreciated

Problem areas:

Overall, I'm still happy with it and look forward to addressing these and having as much fun with this car as I did my Z32. Glad to be back in the Nissan fold

EDIT: Funny story I forgot - while being dyno tuned at Z1, it blew a tire... All that work, and I had to drive back from Z1 on a doughnut All better now, though!

Thanks to Robert, Darren, John and Spencer at Z1 for making the new G even more fun to drive!

Last edited by zcherub; 04-02-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks really clean man, the interior looks immaculate (besides the tear). im jealous of the black interior. welcome back!

Old 04-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by rramos3
looks really clean man, the interior looks immaculate (besides the tear). im jealous of the black interior. welcome back!
Thanks man!

I'm hoping some folks here will have a resource for me as far as fixing the grille paint (or whatever it is) and the seats/dash (TunerD did Z32 interior panels - hoping there's something like that for this!).

Old 04-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by zcherub
Thanks man!

I'm hoping some folks here will have a resource for me as far as fixing the grille paint (or whatever it is) and the seats/dash (TunerD did Z32 interior panels - hoping there's something like that for this!).

as far as the grill paint, if you want to rechrome it, its better to just buy a new grill, otherwise you can paint it using spray cans (not a fan). I pretty sure z1 sells them along with the emblems. seats you can always re upholster them or get new racing seats.

welcome, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here that are always willing to help.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:58 PM
as far as the grill paint, if you want to rechrome it, its better to just buy a new grill, otherwise you can paint it using spray cans (not a fan). I pretty sure z1 sells them along with the emblems. seats you can always re upholster them or get new racing seats.

welcome, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here that are always willing to help.
Thanks!

Haven't decided yet, but one of my thoguhts is to go with an all silver and black theme:

-paint/plastidip the grille black (not sure how durable plastidip is with rock chips, etc.)
-install black side markers
-remove infiniti lettering from rear and add black "fuji" logos
-bake open and repaint headlight housing black

I guess I could keep the current grille if I'm doing that... We'll see how it turns out.

Racing seats would be awesome - but I'm really enjoying the heated seats right now, lol (E39 didn't have them!).

Old 04-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Just sand the grill with 400 grit paper then primer and some paint. And a clear coat. Be sure to test your primer and paint combo to make sure you get the color you want.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Ps find a used jwt heat shield for that pop charger filter because that bich is gonna get hotter then a ****.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Hogbone
Ps find a used jwt heat shield for that pop charger filter because that bich is gonna get hotter then a ****.
Good to know - didn't even realize that was an option (intake was closer to the nose of the car on the Z32). Any vendors here sell them?

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Good to know - didn't even realize that was an option (intake was closer to the nose of the car on the Z32). Any vendors here sell them?

Thanks!
One freebie link because I'm nice

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/

Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 PM
One freebie link because I'm nice

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/
Thanks, lol

Having owned Zs on & off for the last 12 years (had a Z31 too) I'm familiar with Jim Wolf.

I hadn't heard of the intake heat shield on a G35/Z33, though, and it doesn't appear to be in the intake section of JWT's site that you linked to. Also, technically, you recommended a used one, which your "free" link doesn't help either

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Dang you're right, odd. Call them up

Old 04-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Dang you're right, odd. Call them up
I'll look into it. Now that I know it's a thing, I may search around to see if I can get it from a local vendor or someone I've already done business with.

Anyone have any input concerning the rotating/squealing noise I mentioned above? Would love to diagnose it and get it fixed!

Also, any other general upgrade suggestions would be welcome! So far, I think my next steps (in this order) will be:

-Headers, (mild) performance clutch, Z1 aluminum drive shaft (all at once)
-coilovers, F/R Strut Brace, front tie brace, mid-chassis brace (may be overkill with all 4, we'll see...
-BBK (Brembo or Wilwood) or just upgraded pads/rotors (likely won't have the power output to justify a full blow BBK without forced induction).

After that, I may look at FI, but will probably get a different car if I want that kind of power (maybe back to the TTZ32 and keep the G as a daily).

Thoughts on that upgrade path?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Thumbs up

sounds great. all the bracing I don't think is necessary unless youre big on the ride even on daily driving. but that's more for tracking purposes (getting all 4 especially). BBK I would get regardless.

to stiffen I would get coilovers and sways along with new control arm/subframe bushings (cheaper) or full new control arms (front and rear $$$).

that's my 2 cents!

as for FI, id go with vortech centrifugal (I would go this way personally) or TT ($$$$$$$$).

Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM
sounds great. all the bracing I don't think is necessary unless youre big on the ride even on daily driving. but that's more for tracking purposes (getting all 4 especially). BBK I would get regardless.

to stiffen I would get coilovers and sways along with new control arm/subframe bushings (cheaper) or full new control arms (front and rear $$$).

that's my 2 cents!

as for FI, id go with vortech centrifugal (I would go this way personally) or TT ($$$$$$$$).
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely track it at least a little (maybe once/twice per year) as I have a couple Mazda Speed3/6 buddies that I go with. That being the case, is the bracing still overkill in your opinion?

Also (since I'm new to the G), is the FI performace to cost ratio poor as compared to, say, finding a clean Z32 and just getting bigger turbos (if I do it at all, I'll probaby TT the G rather than go SC)?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely track it at least a little (maybe once/twice per year) as I have a couple Mazda Speed3/6 buddies that I go with. That being the case, is the bracing still overkill in your opinion?

Also (since I'm new to the G), is the FI performace to cost ratio poor as compared to, say, finding a clean Z32 and just getting bigger turbos (if I do it at all, I'll probaby TT the G rather than go SC)?

I would say no to being overkill for track and it gives you more reason for the BBK now. just my first thought is "extra weight and my car weighs a **** ton already". maybe add some racing seats and lose some pounds or just refrain from the bracing and get some sway/strut bars.

alternative for the BBK: upgrade your rotors/pads like you said along with adding SS brake lines. thatll save you some weight from the BBK but still providing better braking over OEM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New G35 - Feedback on a few maintenance questions welcome!