G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fuel level question...

Old 05-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel level question...

Ok, so I've been reading and researching, and if there is a thread on this forum with my exact issue, I did not see, it so I apologize, I did try to search for it.

My issue is this. When I start my 05 sedan, the fuel gauge for the most part is accurate, but as I'm driving, the amount of fuel it says I have climbs up to almost full, despite having say, half a tank. Sometimes while driving it will go back down close to what I think is accurate, but not always.

I've read about cleaning the sending unit, and it seems like I may give that a go (it won't cost more than a couple of hours and a few q-tips, right?)

but I've also read about the indicator itself being bad, and if that is the case, what should I do/check?

anyways, Thanks for any feed back/help.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
Ok, so I've been reading and researching, and if there is a thread on this forum with my exact issue, I did not see, it so I apologize, I did try to search for it.

My issue is this. When I start my 05 sedan, the fuel gauge for the most part is accurate, but as I'm driving, the amount of fuel it says I have climbs up to almost full, despite having say, half a tank. Sometimes while driving it will go back down close to what I think is accurate, but not always.

I've read about cleaning the sending unit, and it seems like I may give that a go (it won't cost more than a couple of hours and a few q-tips, right?)

but I've also read about the indicator itself being bad, and if that is the case, what should I do/check?

anyways, Thanks for any feed back/help.
Your plan to clean the sending unit is a good idea, inspect all the visible contacts while you are it. However even after doing that if the problem persists you won't know if the sending unit is still at fault or not.

Another alternative is to live with the indication as is and track you fuel quantity by using you trip counter. This is a pretty effective method and would cost you nothing other trying to remember to reset the counter every time you fuel up to full. I have a 2003 coupe and I get an average of 18 to 20 miles to the gallon. I reach 300 miles give or take a few miles, on my trip counter on a full tank of fuel. This is something to consider if you don't want to spend cash on a sending unit or an indicator. Just thinking outside the box, good luck.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Just keeping track would work if I was the only driver. I am not, and my wife will sometimes get gas, and not write down how much she got or reset the trip, which makes life difficult for me. Or she won't pay attention to what I tell her about how many miles she can drive and will run out of gas.

if cleaning the contacts fixes it, awesome, but if it doesn't I may need to sell it. Its got a few things that are not working, this being a last straw issue.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 AM
Just curious, did cleaning the sender fix your problem?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
cleaning mine fixed it for about a month. but its broken again.
they are on courtesy nissan for 200$ total for both of them. its a good idea just to replace.