G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fenders Rolled...losing Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Fenders Rolled...losing Paint

I had my fenders rolled because I was rubbing on my suspension/wheel setup and the paint is flaking or gone on all 4 corners inside the wheel well which isnt a huge deal and kind of expected I suppose but on my passenger side fender it actually flaked to the outside about 1/4" up on the outside of the fender. I am considering hitting the inside lip of the wheel well on all 4 corners with por-15 to stop/prevent any rust but what should I do with the passenger side fender? Just touch it up or hit the exposed metal with por 15 then touch up over that? I just dont want the entire fender to flake. Its my DD and not a showcar but i also dont want it looking like crap.

Thoughts?

Obviously getting the fender repainted entirely would be ideal but if that was the case I would also get the bumper, lip, side mirrors and anything else with paint issues at the moment but its out of the budget.

I had it professionally done trying to avoid any paint issues but looks like it didn't make a difference.

Last edited by digital sol; 05-17-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Aren't the fenders aluminum?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Bend bend split.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Steel.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Unless you adjust your wheel/suspension setup, it's just gonna happen again.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
If your paint is flaking, they didn't heat it properly when the roll was done.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Depends on the paint. After 10 years plus chips and elements, heat won't always prevent splitting.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Honestly the front was already cracked in those areas from not having them rolled sooner. I didnt want to roll them myself and it was several months before I got the car into the shop. The front fender inner lining already had cracked paint on the edges from rubbing I would presume. The rears did not until I had them rolled and now the paint did flake on the inside of the wheel well. The only side affected outside the wheel well was the front right fender but the paint did flake on all 4 corners inside the wheel well. I wasnt there when they did the roll so I cant confirm but they have done tons of rolls for the locals & I always heard good things. I am a little pissed about a knick on one of my wheels but I did not see it until I got home from the shop so I cant really point any fingers. Although I do have a picture from just 1-2 hours before dropping the car off at their shop that reflected 0 damage to the wheel anywhere. The knick/rash had a red soot inside of it like it was fresh considering the car had been washed before it was dropped off

I am going to por-15 the inside of the wheel wells on all 4 corners I was just wondering if I should just use a primer touch up pin, base coat and clear coat on the passenger side fender that had some paint flake on the outside of the lip. Obviously this is not a show quality fix but it would help prevent rust and do for the time being unless there is a better option.

The paint on this car is not top notch to begin with. It looks fine from 5-10ft but up close the side mirrors are faded. The hood mounts were so bad when I bought the car they were rubbing on the fenders & already caused the clear to flake in a quarter size spot on both fenders where the point is @ the hood. Ive touched the areas up & repalced the hood mounts.

The front bumper had obviously been repainted at some time and feels ruff to the touch and lack of shine. I am going to detail what I can in a few weeks but its an 04 and has been a DD so some of it..is to be expected. The soft factory paint dosnt help the situation.

At least now I have 0 rubbing issues & it drives great for as low as it is. My rear side tire is really close to the rear bumper so I will most likely move those spacers up front and my front to the rear. Rear is 25mm and front is 15mm. I originally bought these spacers for the factory oem 19" rays but I ended up snagging some 20" oz wheels from a friend. I like them pushed out but being my DD i dont want to risk anymore issues on the stance. Should sit nicely with a 15 or 20mm in the rear instead.