G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

g35 wont start.. could use help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35 wont start.. could use help

hey guys , i tried my best to read around anybody with similar problems to mine but i cant seem to find whats going on . I have a 03 g35 coupe At with 115k miles and its always been babied.. last night the car was running fine. this morning i go to turn the car on and seemed like battery was drained it wouldn't start. it would turn over maybe once or twice then rest just whirring sound. non of the pulleys are spinning . i called someone for a jumpstart and that didnt work either.

i stopped , got online and got like 15 tabs open of similar problems and ive ran thru some of the basic things like check spark and voltage and fuses as well. security light is off as well. The car turned on while i was giving it some gas turning it over and it stayed on fine and drove it around for 15mins without an issue. once i turned it back off again with same problems not turning back on.

one wierd thing that happened was when i turned my key to off position , a very very strange static/emergency sound was coming from the dash.

what can all this be related too? i hope its something like the starter .
id very appreciate anybodys input and for reading up on my problem .
thanks in advanced - nick

Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tigga
hey guys , i tried my best to read around anybody with similar problems to mine but i cant seem to find whats going on . I have a 03 g35 coupe At with 115k miles and its always been babied.. last night the car was running fine. this morning i go to turn the car on and seemed like battery was drained it wouldn't start. it would turn over maybe once or twice then rest just whirring sound. non of the pulleys are spinning . i called someone for a jumpstart and that didnt work either.

i stopped , got online and got like 15 tabs open of similar problems and ive ran thru some of the basic things like check spark and voltage and fuses as well. security light is off as well. The car turned on while i was giving it some gas turning it over and it stayed on fine and drove it around for 15mins without an issue. once i turned it back off again with same problems not turning back on.

one wierd thing that happened was when i turned my key to off position , a very very strange static/emergency sound was coming from the dash.

what can all this be related too? i hope its something like the starter .
id very appreciate anybodys input and for reading up on my problem .
thanks in advanced - nick
Hey Nick,

1. How old is the battery?
2. Is it a sealed battery or can you check fluid level? Check for proper level if possible.
3. Are the battery terminals clean? Try cleaning the terminals.
4. When the car engine is running, what is the voltage reading at the battery terminals? A healthy alternator should be putting out approximately 13.8 Volts.

Last edited by wuzz-upp; 06-09-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-09-2015, 06:40 PM
thanks for your response wuzz-upp
the battery is approx 3 years old, it is one of those sealed napa batteries.
the terminals did show a little bit of corrosion which i tried to clean off most of it with a hard bristle brush. i have not taken the terminals off to clean the inside but i did insure they where tightly on.

while car was on i turned it off before i realized to check voltages

Old 06-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tigga
thanks for your response wuzz-upp
the battery is approx 3 years old, it is one of those sealed napa batteries.
the terminals did show a little bit of corrosion which i tried to clean off most of it with a hard bristle brush. i have not taken the terminals off to clean the inside but i did insure they where tightly on.

while car was on i turned it off before i realized to check voltages
Nick,

Three years is close to the life expectancy of many batteries, the voltage read out will rule out your charging system. You can remove the battery and take it to Sears or a local auto parts store that can determine its condition. Disconnecting and cleaning the battery terminals is good preventive maintenance.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Something like this is nice to have to get a quick idea of the state of your battery from time to time before it actually fails and leaves you stranded:
Amazon.com: SOLAR BA7 100-1200 CCA Electronic Battery and System Tester: Automotive Amazon.com: SOLAR BA7 100-1200 CCA Electronic Battery and System Tester: Automotive

I have one and use it on all of my vehicles a few times per year to get a head start on knowing when my power source is failing.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey OP sounds like your battery has a few weak cells...

Old 06-10-2015, 06:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, even if it was his battery, wouldn't it start after a jump? Just wouldn't charge well, nor start again? Which is what it did, but it still didn't start with a jump.

My question is, did it turn over strong like normal, but didn't catch? Or was it weak and lights dimmed alot (dome, dash, aux) and was slower on the cranking?

The other day something kinda similar happened, for some reason I think the car dumped lots of gas into intake...It wouldn't turn over for like 2 minutes. But it eventually started up and smelled real rich. Idled rough for like 2 seconds than idled normal afterwards.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Justo an update i swapped batteries and problem persistes. I figured it wasn't battery issue since a jump wouldn't turn it on and when I try turning it on with my headlights on they stay on full brightness . I am hearing my fuel pump whirling on . I'm starting to really thing it's the starter , only hearing 1 click .

Car is not turning over when I turn the key it's just a whirring sound . Only once in a while u hear it actually try to turn over maybe once or twice .

Thank you all for your inputs . And if anyone can clarify what was that sound that I heard when I left my key in the off position , a very strange static/emergency signal type sound that you hear on tvs

Edit : does anyone know the location of the starter on a 03 coupe ? I'm going to try that smacking it with a wrench thing and see if it can start at least once to rule everything else out