G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Really need starter help asap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really need starter help asap

Hey guys I've gone all over the place trying to find diy on starter replacement. After reading on it I went on to do it myself because I don't have the money for a tow truck / dealership prices.

I located the starter, took my tire off, jacked it up from the center and have the 2 jackstands on the sides so I do have enough space .
My problem is now I have the the starter out of the car but i cannot for the life of me put it back on . The 2 14mm bolts seem impossible to get too can't even hand tighten it on the new starter to get it to stay in place . The old one once bolts where broken loose pretty much hand twisted them off .

Can anyone please give me some tips to get the starter back in , I still have my car jacked up and sunlight is running out .

Thank you for your time in advanced
- nick

Old 06-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Check to make sure the new starter mounting holes match up to those of the original one. It's possible that you got a starter that is just not compatible with your specific year/version G35.

Are you sure you have the starter oriented right? Maybe try spinning it around 180 degrees and see if the bolts mate up that way.

A second set of hands might help too. If you have a roommate or relative there, see if they can hold the starter up while you try to get a better angle to look through the bolt holes and line them up so you can feed them in.

If you don't have another person there, then you might want to try stacking up some bricks or pieces of wood under the starter to hold it up for you and you can shim it to the right height with other smaller pieces of stuff and then put the bolts in from an angle at which you can see through the bolt holes. If you have one of those strap-mount headlights it will help you see what you're doing without immobilizing a hand that would otherwise hold a flashlight.

Last edited by partyman66; 06-17-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I took my starter out once and it was a PITA to get back in, lol. See if you can spin the gear a little so it lines up. I think I used a 1/4 in ratchet and a few sockets if I remember correctly.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Tigga,

Here are the instructions right out of the service manual for my 2003, hope this helps.

Removal and Installation AKS003Z4
REMOVAL
1. Open the driver and front passenger window, and then disconnect the battery negative cable.

CAUTION:
After the battery cables are disconnected, do not open/close the driver and/or front passenger door with the window in the full up position. The automatic window adjusting function will not work and the side roof panel may be damaged.

2. Remove engine rear undercover.
3. Disconnect S connector.
4. Remove B terminal nut.
5. Remove starter motor mounting bolts and harness connector
clip bracket, using power tools.
6. Remove starter motor from under the vehicle.
INSTALLATION
Install in the reverse order of removal.