G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35 with maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G35 with maintenance questions

I recently purchased an '06 G35 with 100k km (60 k miles) and am doing some maintenance to get everything up to date.

I'm changing out the rear pads and rotors but I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the caliper bracket mount bolts off. The caliber slider pins came off quite easy but the caliper bracket bolts won't budge even after using some penetrating oil and letting it sit overnight. I'm thinking they could be seized as the rotors are possibly original and have never been taken off. Any tips on how to get the bolts out? I don't want to round the bolts off and end up having to cut them off.

I'm going to change the transmission fluid (auto) and was wondering about the specified oil to use. I have some Valvoline Dex Merc which says it can be used in Nissan/Infiniti where J-Matic is specified but I've read elsewhere that only Nissan/Infiniti ATF should be used. Is is okay to use the Valvoline? Also since there is no filter to change I guess the best approach would be to drain/fill x 3 to try and get most of the fluid out?

I only got one key with the car (intelligent key) and was wondering how to go about getting a new one made. The dealer wants $350 for a replacement key. Can I buy a used intelligent remote on eBay and have it programmed by the dealer? Is the transponder chip in the mechanical key or the actual remote key itself?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
The correct oil for the transmission is cheap, replacing a transmission is not.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Pull out the slide pins and hang the caliper with a piece of rope or bungee cord. Take a propane torch and heat the bolts up for a few minutes. Then use a 1/2 bar to take the bolts off.

That's how I got both of mine off since they were on real tight. I used penetrating oil also a lot of it.

You don't want to use heat around the brake hoses if it absorbs enough heat the fluid will explode.

I'd go with the Nissan fluid or Idemitsu Type J. I put Idemitsu in when I did mine and haven't had a problem since. You might find some deals on eBay.

You can get a blank key off eBay; I've done it before without problems. If you separate the key from the fob there is a number in there. You need to find the same number on eBay and then bring it to the dealer. Just make sure it has an Infiniti icon; I've read of some people getting denied by the dealer if it doesn't. Otherwise you'd need to find a locksmith to do it for you.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Pull out the slide pins and hang the caliper with a piece of rope or bungee cord. Take a propane torch and heat the bolts up for a few minutes. Then use a 1/2 bar to take the bolts off.

That's how I got both of mine off since they were on real tight. I used penetrating oil also a lot of it.

You don't want to use heat around the brake hoses if it absorbs enough heat the fluid will explode.

I'd go with the Nissan fluid or Idemitsu Type J. I put Idemitsu in when I did mine and haven't had a problem since. You might find some deals on eBay.

You can get a blank key off eBay; I've done it before without problems. If you separate the key from the fob there is a number in there. You need to find the same number on eBay and then bring it to the dealer. Just make sure it has an Infiniti icon; I've read of some people getting denied by the dealer if it doesn't. Otherwise you'd need to find a locksmith to do it for you.
Thanks for the info. I was able to break the bolts out by tapping the wrench with a hammer. I'll stick with the Nissan fluid. How many quarts does it take during a drain and refill?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by mbe32
Thanks for the info. I was able to break the bolts out by tapping the wrench with a hammer. I'll stick with the Nissan fluid. How many quarts does it take during a drain and refill?
I don't remember exactly, but I think it was between 2-3 maybe 4 quarts (depending how high, angle, etc.. you jack it up). I bought one of those juice jugs for a dollar at Rite-Aid. Drained into a pan then filled the jug up to see how many came out.

Do it while it's cold or wait for the fluid to cool off when you replace it. It expands when it's hot.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
All very good advice ^ use only Nissan AT fluid in your transmission. Don't forget about the other fluids that need replacing at 60K miles, brake and radiator! I'd also replace the belts and cabin filter too...Gary

Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
All very good advice ^ use only Nissan AT fluid in your transmission. Don't forget about the other fluids that need replacing at 60K miles, brake and radiator! I'd also replace the belts and cabin filter too...Gary
I'd also add spark plugs to that list. It says it lasts for as long as 100K (miles). But I would not recommend this at all, especially since the car is already almost 10 years old