G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help! Bought my first G last week

Old 08-07-2015, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help! Bought my first G last week

Hi, I'm going to admit that this car is awesome. It handles wonderfully and has way to much motor for me. But, down to the brass tax. When I bought the car from the private seller, everything worked fine. It even had new belts. I drove it home after I bought it and it worked flawlessly on the way home. I couldn't drive it for about 2-days because of work, but Saturday rolled around and I decided to take it for a test ride. When I bought the car the seller gave me two sets of keys, the spare and the heavily used set. I decided to use the spare. I get into the car, put my foot on the brake, clutch all the way in and try to start it. It turns over, but doesn't start. I try this a couple of times and i give up. An hour later I decided to put a little squirt of starter on the filter and it fired right up. I drove it that day and had no problems after that. Then I take it to the barber shop. It starts fine and drives over there perfectly, but after I'm done and come out it won't start. This is with the spare keys again. I get some starting fluid on it and it starts and drives home fine. I'm getting frustrated, because the next day I go to start it with the spare set of keys and it doesn't start. I grab the heavily used set, just to try, and it fires up perfectly. Whenever I have the starting issue I use the heavily used set of keys. Does anyone know what I should do? Sorry for the long read

Old 08-07-2015, 03:36 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Are you retarded? Your spare key is a cheap copy that opens up doors. Your "heavily worn" key has a chip in it that is programmed to start the car. Unless your key comes from the dealer with $200 price tag, no other key will start your car.

The following 2 users liked this post by ScraggleRock:
Cux350z (08-08-2015), NemesisGee (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 03:37 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Is it an intelligent key or regular key fob?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Are you retarded? Your spare key is a cheap copy that opens up doors. Your "heavily worn" key has a chip in it that is programmed to start the car. Unless your key comes from the dealer with $200 price tag, no other key will start your car.
Thanked. I LOL'ed. And what is this starter fluid he's talking about? Like starter fluid I use on the BBQ? Gotta be a troll...

Old 08-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Starter fluid on the air filter??? Not sure if serious....

Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Hatchman
Starter fluid on the air filter??? Not sure if serious....
I've been using engine starting fluid, from auto zone. I think it's mostly ether. But The spare key, is a real one. It's the spare key that infinity sold with the car. And it wouldn't make sense that the car would run perfectly fine once I finally got it going. Could the ignition system be messed up?

Old 08-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't think he trolling I think he needs help... Ovs. its not fire starter fluid or he would be dead and not being able to post.

May need a new battery? Alternator?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:16 PM
I know the battery works fine, because the engine will crank. Its acting like it isn't getting any gas. I cleaned the airfilter, and cleaned the MAF sensor using cleaner for it. This really puzzles me, because with the other key, it starts up and works fine

Old 08-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Can you post a pic of both your keys?

Old 08-07-2015, 01:07 PM

The one on the left works
The set on the right doesn't work

Old 08-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Easy bro, ban the r word. He said in the OP that he drove to the barber with the spare set.

OP Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use starter fluid. This is an EFI equipped vehicle. Something needs to be fixed if you are thinking of using that as an option.

That being said, ignition would be cut if the key was not programmed for the vehicle; even starter fluid would not get it to run. Please keep the starter fluid away from the intake for this study

So what it is is the repetition with the spare set that gets it to crank up. Can you drive it around with the older set for a while to ensure that it is indeed a problem with the spare set and not an ignition wiring related issue?

Let us know if you have an issue starting it with the old set after a couple days of repeated, randomly spaced starts.

PS the "chip" works within close proximity of the ignition switch. If you have an issue starting it with the spare, try putting the older one on the key ring with the spare but still use the new copy to start it. If that makes it start, there may be something funky going on with the spare key's chip. If simply taking the key out and putting it back in (new spare) makes it start, you could have a faulty ignition switch from someone driving around with a heavy key chain. Then there are the physical differences from key to key, but that would most likely prevent it from going into the ignition switch at all, not make it crank with no spark/fuel.

Last edited by yosip1115; 08-07-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Yeah, bro, your key on the left, with the metal where the ring goes through, looks to be the good old factory OEM key that probably came with the car.

The "spare" key on the left, all black without the metal, may have a bad chip, like said above.

I would just use the good/left/metal key and get another spare key cut/programmed.

Please keep starter fluid away from you air filter. Napalm, nuclear fission, or a flux capicitor in the intake should have no effect on wether your beloved ride starts. I'm just kidding, but no really, don't spray starter fluid on the air filter.

I'll admit, I only have one key. I have two brand new OEM blanks in the glove box, for one day when I get around to getting them cut/programmed.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only one seeing the obvious solution to this? Stop using that spare set. Stick it in a junk drawer somewhere in the house and forget about it. Just use the main set of keys.

If you can afford it some day go to the dealer and get a proper spare key.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by D1dphresh

The one on the left works
The set on the right doesn't work
The one on the right is a valet key. Should work but doesn't unlock glove box.

You should have gotten 4 keys.

2 chipped keys
1 valet key
1 credit card key.