G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Your guess Fuse/Fans/Relay/Sensor We can all play

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
Your guess Fuse/Fans/Relay/Sensor We can all play

Hey people,
I need a little help trouble shooting this problem with the fans.
Yesterday I was driving back to the base and I smelled something burning I could not figure out where it was coming from. So when I parked I checked around the car and it seemed to be coming from the grill. After work I drove it back to the apartment in the parking lot while the car was running I notice my car starting to run. So I got out and check the fans and they were not running.

My question is.. What should I check first and what do your guys think it might be.
Fans?
Relay?
Fuse?
Sensor that tells the fans when to turn on?

Car is 2007, Coup, AT.
Side note fan has been replace 3 or 4 years ago

Old 08-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Read this post, lots of useful info related with cooling fans.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...erheating.html

First thing I would do is start the car and turn your air conditioning on,both fans should kick on. If they don't, follow the suggestions given on the other post.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 PM
I did. No fan came on and I found the 40 amp fuse was blown. I replace it turned on the AC and one fan came on the other fan did not. Next I'm going to let the car run for a little while and see if the other fan turns on. I have been reading the other post. I didn't see it after I wrote my post..

Old 08-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
I did. No fan came on and I found the 40 amp fuse was blown. I replace it turned on the AC and one fan came on the other fan did not. Next I'm going to let the car run for a little while and see if the other fan turns on. I have been reading the other post. I didn't see it after I wrote my post..
Considering what you said about the burning smell coming from the grill area, I would say that the fan that is not running when you turn the A/C on burnt up and caused the associated fuse to blow. How many miles on the car? If you don't know if the fans have ever been changed, then consider replacing the motors as a set. You are looking at about $100+ if you do it yourself. You can spend a lot of time troubleshooting but the burnt smell kind of gives it away.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 PM
After I replaced the fuse the AC fan is now turning, but what I want to see is the other fan turn on to keep the car cool.

when I start the car with the AC turned on. the fan on the driver side is spinning. I need to see the fan on the passenger side turn on when the temperature starts to increase. The fans have been replaced before, but I can't remember which one was replaced. The car has between 80K to 90K miles on it.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:14 PM
After I replaced the fuse the AC fan is now turning, but what I want to see is the other fan turn on to keep the car cool.

when I start the car with the AC turned on. the fan on the driver side is spinning. I need to see the fan on the passenger side turn on when the temperature starts to increase. The fans have been replaced before, but I can't remember which one was replaced. The car has between 80K to 90K miles on it.
Both fans are designed to run when the A/C is turned on not just one. The cooling fans both, come on when the A/C is turned on or when the engine reaches operating temperature. These are two independent circuits. Look at the wiring diagrams I posted on the other post.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:19 PM
so if that is the case. the passenger side fan motor is dead. I need to replace it..I'm going to check out the diagram now

Old 08-22-2015, 08:27 PM
so if that is the case. the passenger side fan motor is dead. I need to replace it..I'm going to check out the diagram now
In the other post I referenced a way to test the fan by applying power directly to the fan connector pins. You can do that to verify it is the fan. If it turns with power applied directly, then you will need to do some trouble shooting. We can talk about that if the need arises.