G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Car feels like it's hydroplaning/about to lose control in the rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car feels like it's hydroplaning/about to lose control in the rain

I was driving in the rain today on the highway and while driving at about 60mph sometimes the steering wheel would shake gently and felt like my left front tire was skipping or hydroplaning. It felt as if i turned the wheel it wouldn't respond but when it did it would be sudden. It only happened about 3-4 times but one time it felt like I was going to skid when I was turning slightly so I slowed down. What could be the cause? Drives fine in dry weather just noticed this when it rains. 2003 G35 Coupe 126k miles

Old 10-23-2015, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
Need tire suspension and alignment information. Got any?

Old 10-23-2015, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Need tire suspension and alignment information. Got any?
Tires are good all around, alignment seems to be good. Went to dealer for some small work(engine air filter and light bulb) they gave me a free multi point inspection. They said that suspension components were torn(steering knuckles, tie rod ends, compression bushings, transverse links) and made me a quote for $3000! I said no thanks. I just got my car 3 months ago and when I took it to my mechanic for pre purchase inspection everything was good. So I thought maybe dealer was just trying to make money off of me or something

Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Tires are good...but what kind are they? There are plenty that are useless in the rain

Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Hnm_2014
They said that suspension components were torn(steering knuckles, tie rod ends, compression bushings, transverse links) and made me a quote for $3000! I said no thanks.
Those components are typical to go bad on these cars. Have them checked by another suspension shop to verify. All of those can be replaced with about $300 worth of parts from Rockauto, a Saturday, and an alignment after.

That said, when my car gets squirrelly in the rain it's due to worn tires. How low is the tread on the tires? Just because they're not bald, doesn't mean they're still good. The wear bars are basically the bare legal minimum, rain/snow performance is usually trash well before they get that low.

The following users liked this post:
S 854 (10-24-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
And also where exactly do you live?

Areas that aren't use to the rain tend to have a lot of dirt on the road and when it does rain. This dirt essentially becomes mud and hinders traction even more.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You may have what you consider "Good Tires" but if they're one of those tires with a high UTQG (wear rating) they won't work well in wet weather even if your suspension was new! Anything over 300 is too hard to give you decent traction in weather you're experiencing. Dealerships? Find a independent brake/alignment shop in your area for an opinion on suspension pieces the dealership considers needing replacement. This is the kinda shop that works on suspensions, if they're not very good they won't stay in business!
Good Luck & Enjoy the Ride...Gary

Old 10-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Tires are good...but what kind are they? There are plenty that are useless in the rain
I have Dunlop SP Signitures and I live in Dallas Texas

Old 10-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Those components are typical to go bad on these cars. Have them checked by another suspension shop to verify. All of those can be replaced with about $300 worth of parts from Rockauto, a Saturday, and an alignment after.

That said, when my car gets squirrelly in the rain it's due to worn tires. How low is the tread on the tires? Just because they're not bald, doesn't mean they're still good. The wear bars are basically the bare legal minimum, rain/snow performance is usually trash well before they get that low.
^^^Totally agree, maybe your mechanic did not do a thorough suspension check, I would not be surprised if he didn't. If you paid your mechanic for the pre purchase inspection and the second shop you go to has the same findings, try and go after him. I doubt you'll get anywhere with that though.

Take a couple of pictures of your tread and post them, also don't forget to check the tire pressures.

These cars require that you have lots of cash to pay others to do the work for you, or learn how to do the work yourself. Unfortunately if you can't do your own work, be ready to pay, it comes with the Infiniti brand. The minute you drive into a shop they see $$$$$ signs.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by wuzz-upp
^^^Totally agree, maybe your mechanic did not do a thorough suspension check, I would not be surprised if he didn't. If you paid your mechanic for the pre purchase inspection and the second shop you go to has the same findings, try and go after him. I doubt you'll get anywhere with that though.

Take a couple of pictures of your tread and post them, also don't forget to check the tire pressures.

These cars require that you have lots of cash to pay others to do the work for you, or learn how to do the work yourself. Unfortunately if you can't do your own work, be ready to pay, it comes with the Infiniti brand. The minute you drive into a shop they see $$$$$ signs.
I'll post some pics soon and I didn't purchase a inspection, it's a mechanic we've been going to for years and they just checked the car out. There's no noise when I turn or anything, just sometimes I get like a knuckle pop when turning. I'll check tire pressures, even though they look good to me.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Find a independent brake/alignment shop in your area for an opinion on suspension pieces the dealership considers needing replacement. ...Gary
The occasional popping sound you are describing when turning, is indicative of worn or loose suspension parts. Like gary c said, try and find a reputable shop that can do the work without ripping you off. Do you have stock suspension or is the car lowered?

Old 10-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by wuzz-upp
The occasional popping sound you are describing when turning, is indicative of worn or loose suspension parts. Like gary c said, try and find a reputable shop that can do the work without ripping you off. Do you have stock suspension or is the car lowered?
Everything is stock on the car. I'll probably get it checked out on Monday. Do you think it's dangerous to drive like this?

Old 10-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Hnm_2014
Everything is stock on the car. I'll probably get it checked out on Monday. Do you think it's dangerous to drive like this?
Without inspecting the suspension system myself, I would have to say yes. To give a different answer would be irresponsible of me. Others might say different, but "What If" they are wrong and you have an accident? IMO, don't take any chances with brake or suspension issues. Don't want to sound negative, but safety first.

Last edited by wuzz-upp; 10-24-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
At 60, it's not unusual to have skipping or sensation of near hydroplaning if there's standing water on the freeway. Sure you weren't hitting spots of standing water?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DeafBringer
At 60, it's not unusual to have skipping or sensation of near hydroplaning if there's standing water on the freeway. Sure you weren't hitting spots of standing water?
+1

Any standing water on the road can cause reduced traction, which may happen even if you have new tires. My car will sometimes slide/drift on curvy roads (happend last week after a good rain) although my tires are almost new. thank god for VDC...

But it is highly recommended that you get your suspension inspected by a good shop just to be safe. If you don't have any issues driving in dry weather, then its most likely just a normal occurence when driving in wet conditions.

Also, you're supposed to drive slower in the rain for this exact reason. Slow down a bit bro!